The online racing simulator
Degrees of Steering..
(25 posts, started )
Degrees of Steering..
i dont know if this has been mentioned before, but is there any information from the devs regarding locking the degrees that the steering wheel turns from car to car..

what i mean is this..

i jump in the Fz50 and just like a road car i expect it to have (lets just use 900) full degree steering, but then if i jump in the MRT5 i would expect lfs to change this for me to 90deg or what ever and this shouldnt be made changeable..

i just wondered if this has been mentioned before, and the reason i ask is that i just recently set the setting to 900degs in game and in profile and the cars seem to be just that little bit more realistic.

I find myself going slower and taking different lines than i would with say 400 degs lock, but i find my driving alot smoother and more consistent..
Restricting the wheel turn settings - I can not see that ever happening.

People use different gear, not everyone has a G25. For example the Momo wheel turns only 240 degrees, yet it is popular among sim-racers.

However, I would like to have the wheel settings displayed online, just like handicaps (ballast / intake restriction) and view options (in car / custom / chase).

This would help me distribute respect more accurately.
#3 - Woz
If you have a G25 set wheel turn comp to 1 and the wheel to 720deg. Not your in game and real steering will be right for all cars. LFS will add Soft (FF) end stops in the correct places for each car.
Steering Tab in pits is for changing the max lock of the car's front wheels. This is separate to the number of turns required of the controller wheel on the user's desk.....

edit: it has both settings in there, sorry you were right.
Quote from Woz :If you have a G25 set wheel turn comp to 1 and the wheel to 720deg. Not your in game and real steering will be right for all cars. LFS will add Soft (FF) end stops in the correct places for each car.

I got confused....Is that word "Not" a typo? Is it supposed to be "Now" ?

How do you get the LFS to add Soft (FF) end stops? If I get into FBM (450°) for example, with these settings the "driver wheel" turns to 450° on screen, and stops turning on screen when the G25 hits 450°, BUT the G25 itself keeps going around to 720° eventually soft stopped by the G25 profiler.

Please what is the secret to dynamic LFS soft end stops ? It's really annoying having no idea when your wheel stops turning. I turn off the on-screen wheel because seeing two wheels turn infront of me looks wacko to me. Any help is appreciated.
Quote from JasonJ :
If I get into FBM (450°) for example, with these settings the "driver wheel" turns to 450° on screen, and stops turning on screen when the G25 hits 450°, BUT the G25 itself keeps going around to 720° soft stopped by the G25 profiler.

Yup.. that's what happens to me as well. But I think the FFB in LFS tries to stop you turning further, but Idk I can't remember.
Is something wrong with my wheel then? I get no extra FFB resistance between 450° and 720° in FBM other than the same resistance I feel at 449°, but there is a definate soft end-stop at 720° from the profiler, so this makes me think my wheel is fine.

And I seem to recall someone requesting this feature to soft-stop the FFB at the car's max lock.

I've been driving around in all cars at 720° just so I can feel when the wheel has stopped turning and it's quite lame.
Why would you want to turn your wheel to full lock? Parallel parking at a race track?
The FF stops are actually the Profiler, not LFS.

Would be nice if LFS had access to the Logitech driver so it could set the controllers lock-to-lock itself, but unfortunately it doesn't

Just get used to changing your lock-to-lock in the Profiler, takes 2 seconds...

Open Profiler, Alt+E, S, Shift+Tab twice, arrows to move the slider to your rotation then smash Return. Easy!
I just leave it on 720 and wheel turn comp 1, it doesn't really bother me.
Quote from Not Sure :Why would you want to turn your wheel to full lock? Parallel parking at a race track?
  • Well, lose control understeering and then you want to know where full lock is so you don't have 110 degrees of slack steering where nothing happens.
  • Spin out and you need to turn around to get back on track.
Yes I know you can change it in g25 profiler, but WOZ indicated that this wasn't necessary, I was just asking him how it's possible, I'm starting to think it isn't.
oh sorry, I missed that, quickly checked it while at work. ma bad.
Just wanted to clarify the wheel setup options for those that are having difficulties with it.
i think some are missing the point, i know that not everyone has a g25, and i know that its not essential to racing... but this is a SIM after all, and i think that the steering lock should be locked to each car..

whether this be made an option on the server side to set realistic steering locks on or off, just like forced cockpit..
It does match each car properly if you set wheel turn compensation to 1.00. So it does have specific lock set lock for each car, this works correctly..... just there is no end stop when you reach the max lock. (I feel this is what needs to be fixed)

However if I go with this method, then I gotta adjust the profiler degrees lock AND the Controls >> wheel turn at the same every time I change to a different car, plus have to remember which settings to use. If LFS did soft-stops, then these changes wouldn't be required everytime.

I'm starting to think it's easier to use Compensation 0.00 and just use the Profiler to change max lock allowed, which is still annoying

R3DMAN - am I still missing the point?
Quote from Syfoon :The FF stops are actually the Profiler, not LFS.

Would be nice if LFS had access to the Logitech driver so it could set the controllers lock-to-lock itself, but unfortunately it doesn't

However Logitech DOES have it so developers can access the Logitech drivers for that exact purpose... Scawen just needs to do it.
sorta, what i want is for the cars to have a set degree of lock, which CAN NOT BE CHANGED

XFG 900deg
FXO 900deg
MRT5 120deg
FBM 400deg

when you get in a car the game recognises that its only got 'irl' 720degrees so it only lets you move your wheel 720degrees and this cant be changed..

yes i understand this isnt going to work for people who dont have that much lock 'momo users' but possibly creating a server side function may help? i dont know.

basically as it is now, you can jump into a car like the xrg and use a small degree of turning so on the wheel in front of you its 350 degrees but in game its full 900.. obviously this isnt realistic and it makes it easier to recover from slides, get out of trouble etc.. which in turn doesnt make you drive like you would if you was in that car..

I tried it out, and with a smaller and more managable steering lock i can do laps at least a second faster than at full 900 degrees, i feel its more to being able to correct errors far far quicker than with 900 degs as im sure that with enough practise 900 degs would be just as fast on track, i noticed myself turning smoother into the corners and being more gentle on the throttle as to not spin the car as getting out of a slide with you throwing the wheel round is alot harder than just turning it half a turn.

does this make sence to anyone? as i have a hard time putting into writing that i mean.
Makes sense to me, I would like servers to force racers to use "real" degrees of steering, and make it impossible to "cheat" by using less degrees.

Currently no car in LFS has "native" 900 degrees of steering. 900 degrees is just the maximum LFS supports at the hardware side. Still, would make sense to change it so that road cars have 900 instead of 720.
i think it would just makes racing closer and more involved.. i cant explain it really.. as when i drive with a big steering lock i really have to concentrate not to get the rear out too much..

and i found the RA was a piece of piss to drive aswell :O
Just wondering why there is the script command :
/wheel_turn [degrees] - specify turn angle of controller

I am know that this script command can be called at any time, even when you change cars for example. But this value is for telling LFS what type of wheel you have.

Examples...
  • G25.Profiler set at 720 >> Wheel turn set to 720
  • G25.Profiler set to 270 >> Wheel turn set to 270 (for newbies)
  • Basic non-FFB spring cheapo wheel works to 180deg >> Wheel turn set to 180 (to match wheel setting)
Essentially you set the Wheel turn value to what type of wheel you have. So I can't understand why there is a script command to change this value on the fly. It's not like you change what wheel you have on your desk a lot? Can anyone who knows explain the reason this command exists ?
Quote from JasonJ :I am know that this script command can be called at any time, even when you change cars for example. But this value is for telling LFS what type of wheel you have.

For those who use WTC=0 and change lock manually (e.g. on G25, DFP, DFGT etc), it saves a step when switching cars.

I have it in every car script so the "Wheel turns" value is adjusted automatically. No big deal but at least I don't have to do it manually.
If you set Wheel Turn Compensation to 0 as you stated, the wheel turn value makes no change to anything anymore.

This is why I asked the question.

Try it... Set WTC to 0 and sit in the car. Turn your controller wheel lock to lock and what the watch the hands and in game wheel as you slide the Wheel Turn value in the menu. Nothing changes as you slide Wheel Turn between 90deg and 900deg.
Quote from JasonJ :If you set Wheel Turn Compensation to 0 as you stated, the wheel turn value makes no change to anything anymore.

Fair enough, I assumed WT always affected the proportional constant between physical wheel rotation and the virtual one, however it only works that way when WTC>0.

That even makes the description "specify turn angle of controller" wrong because the physical wheel turn angle is ignored really. Disable that slider altogether when WTC=0 would seem the most sensible way to handle this.

Degrees of Steering..
(25 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG