The online racing simulator
Realism in Pitstop Duration
(12 posts, started )
How about some sense of 'urgency' from the pit crew (1 Guy I guess ) when changing tires.... one.... tire.... at.... a..... time.... by..... hand.... without.... an.... air... gun... lugnut... by..... lugnut.....

I'm not sure which format the current stops are based off of, but I would like to have more than One Pit Mechanic:
Refueling during tire changes.
Multiple tires changed at the same time, 2/preferably 4(esp for BF1).

Airjacks for racecars and manual for road cars would be a nice touch.

Bumping up the time required to fix damage, but dropping the time to change tires would increase realism IMO.
As was said in another pit-stop related thread, the text on your screen doesn't actually describe what's happening at that moment. It's just a list of the things being done.

Other than damage repair, I don't think there's anything wrong with the pit-stop times now.
#3 - Davo
Quote from Dajmin :As was said in another pit-stop related thread, the text on your screen doesn't actually describe what's happening at that moment. It's just a list of the things being done.

Other than damage repair, I don't think there's anything wrong with the pit-stop times now.

You've gota be kidding me? It takes about 15 seconds to refuel and change the tyres on the BF1 when it should take about 8 seconds all up. Going the other way pitstops for the road cars are too short. Changign all tyres and refuelling the XFG takes 35 seconds. That should be 35 seconds per wheel and about a minute to refuel. I wish it took 20 seconds to tank up at the bowser.
Quote from Dajmin :As was said in another pit-stop related thread, the text on your screen doesn't actually describe what's happening at that moment. It's just a list of the things being done.

figured it had been suggested, but...

lmao that the times are correct now...
I never said they were right, I said there wasn't anything wrong with them. I've no idea how long it takes to fill up the BF1, since I never race it online and if I did I probably wouldn't be running a full tank anyway But yes, judging by what I've seen on TV and stuff, they could probably knock off a couple of seconds (although according to what I've read, average F1 stops are between 8 and 14 secs).

As for the other cars, obviously it takes you longer to do these things at a garage, because you don't have the equipment a pit crew does. But you can't compare the other cars to your own experiences - I would assume that aviation fuel lines pump fuel faster than standard petrol pumps and you wouldn't have 4 guys with pneumatic guns to remove your wheels
Did some testing with BF1.

In BF1 it takes about 8-9 seconds to fill a full tank that's about 10,5-11,9 liters/second. One kilo of BF1 fuel weights 0,747 kg ((fuel in-fuel out)/tank capacity). That means the fuel fill speed in BF1 is about 8-9 kg/s (rounded).

In F1, if I recall correctly, the maximum fill rate is 12,6 kilos/second. It's a bit off then?

But the main problem is that tire change and refueling can't be done simultaneously, they both add up and the stops can take ages.
Quote from Blackout :

But the main problem is that tire change and refueling can't be done simultaneously, they both add up and the stops can take ages.

I guess there is debate as to whether or not the text coresponds to what actually is being serviced.

And as far as real f1 stops, i'd say its closer to 8-12 seconds total, with 15seconds being OK with a nose change. That's all the damage you're ever going to have fixed btw.
Quote from srdsprinter :I guess there is debate as to whether or not the text coresponds to what actually is being serviced.

And as far as real f1 stops, i'd say its closer to 8-12 seconds total, with 15seconds being OK with a nose change. That's all the damage you're ever going to have fixed btw.

Yes the text does correspond on what's going on. You can see this when changing tires and the tank starts to get filled after the tires have been changed and the fuel text appears.

The whole thing, at least with BF1, should be changed so you can change tires and fill up at the same time, as that's how it's done in real life.
Quote from Blackout :Yes the text does correspond on what's going on. You can see this when changing tires and the tank starts to get filled after the tires have been changed and the fuel text appears.

The whole thing, at least with BF1, should be changed so you can change tires and fill up at the same time, as that's how it's done in real life.

I would take a guess that most race cars would have at least two tires changed at the same time.

Open wheelers would be refueled at the same time, as would road cars. The gtr's probably would be as well, but it's conceivable they would have seperate refuel.
Also, could you make an admin command for this such as . . .

BitWise:
1 = Fuel gets put in while everything else is getting done.
2 = 1 tire at a time.
4 = 2 tires at a time.
8 = 3 tires at a time.
16 = 4 tires at a time.

With that in mind, an F1 style pitstop would look like this for command.
/pittype 31

Or, other forms of racing only allow 2 tires to be changed at a time, and no refueling while that is going on, that would look like this.
/pittype 4
That's the same type of thing I was thinking, Dygear. But I would even go a few steps further. Some race series require the engine to be turned off during fueling. Some series use green lights, others use the turning off of the red lights. Some series require mandatory pits, others do not. It would be nice if all of these options were on one screen (for graphical hosts) or in a config file (for dedi hosts). That would allow server admins to set race conditions to mimic most any real world series.

What I envision for the future of LFS is four "sections" that control all aspects of the server:

1) Car selection (which cars are allowed)
2) Track selection (which track is being used, and in which direction)
3) Weather conditions (air temp, track temp, wind, time of day, etc)
4) Race regulations (standing start or rolling start, how the start lights operate, whether pit is required, what must be done during pit stops and in what order, pit window, etc).

Obviously, these options would all be totally different depending on whether you're trying to simulate F1, NASCAR, BTCC, etc. as they all have different regulations.

(12 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG