The online racing simulator
Pit Stops.
(27 posts, started )
Pit Stops.
I'm curious how pit stops work in LFS? I've done plenty of them. But was wondering if there should be different types of pit stops for different types of cars.

I usually only race Open Wheel cars, Formula One mainly. When I pit it will say Front Tire Change, then Rear Tire Change.. My question is does this mean it is doing front first then the rear? Or in the game world is it all happening at the same time?

In F1 all tires, damage and fuel is done at the same time.

Would be interesting in a Pit Stop on your screen to list all elements that are being worked on. The pit stop style would depend on the type of car your in. F1 car, it all happens at once. Other cars may not.

So I pit on my screen it might say:

Fuel
Front Wing Damage
Front Tire Change
Body Damage
Rear Tire Change
Rear Wing Damage

Now each one that is being worked on would hi-lite in White, once that element of the pit stop is finished it would go grey or disappear. Then you can see multiple things happening at once. You may see Front and Rear Tires hi-lited along with fuel. So you know these things are happening at the same time.

Just a idea, or some variation of this.
You mean you'd see front a rear wing damage each time you make a pitstop? I think you need more practice! hehe
No. You'd see the relevant information for your pit stop. I was listing it as if you needed everything.
I'd like something where you can check if you want fuel or not or chance just right tire and not the left but change the 2 rear tires. I also like to see the change in downforce at a pit stop as well. But who knows, this has probally be mentioned before and people will flip a brick because I should've used the search button. +1
I agree with you neglouseight. Particulary in Formula and GTR class cars it's a bit ridiculous that it is all done step-by-step. But on the other hand, it doesn't matter if there are four tyres changed in 8 seconds or one tyre changed in 2 seconds, but done four times. Time spent in pits is what counts, and that seemes to be quite real right now.
Maybe once when there is a pit crew modelled this should be changed, but now just +0.5
just for fun i think it would be great to have a pit system like in Automobili Lamborghini for the n64 (hold off on the flaming for just a tick)

in AL there were various motions required of the user with the analog stick that had to be well coordinated. too slow and it's a slow stop, too fast and the air wrench slips off of the lug, or the fuel receptacle jams.

thought it might add to the game in the sense that sometimes pit stops dont go as planned.
#7 - Davo
haha while that sounds like fun for an arcade game what could you do with your wheel n pedals? steer left, steer right and press brake twice?

I think fuel should be added at the same time tyres are changed not on its own at the end of the pitstop. So

+1
i think most of us have a mouse. maybe if i can make my video capture card cooperate i will upload some video. it's actually kinda fun. to chance a tire you have to rotate the stick counter clockwise in rythim with the indicator. fuel you have to tip the stick to pour the fuel, too steep and the can cant get air so the fuel cant come out.

just a fun idea.

as an LFS adaptation, a rythm version with one button or pedal? ionno, jut sounded like a fun idea and something to add tension to pit stops since we dont have peopel as pit crew
#9 - garph
Quote from TypeRCivic :I'd like something where you can check if you want fuel or not or chance just right tire and not the left but change the 2 rear tires. I also like to see the change in downforce at a pit stop as well. But who knows, this has probally be mentioned before and people will flip a brick because I should've used the search button. +1

Guy! You can already do all of that by pressing F12 and then use the arrow keys to make the changes.
Sounds a little too complicated to do in the middle of a race.
Also, that's the pit crew's job. All the driver needs to do during pit stops is have a drink

I think an expansion of the F12 menu with sections for damage repair would be more than enough. I'm not really fussed about not actually seeing the crew do the work, although it would be a cool extra feature. But it is a little trivial. I know what a pit crew looks like and I have an imagination
My suggestion isn't how to set up a pit stop it's how the LFS handles a pit stop. Right now it does everything one step after another. When in a lot of types of Motor racing everything is done at the same moment. This has nothing to do with F12. It has to do with LFS fixing damage, then changing the front tires, then fixing damage, then changing back tires, then adding fuel. Etc.

All of this should be going on at the exact same moment, not in steps or stages. Below is listing everything as a example. On screen bold would mean these items are currently active during the pit stop. This is just a basic idea.

Fuel #%

Front Wing Damage
Front Wing Adjustment
Front Tire Change
Body Damage
Rear Tire Change
Rear Wing Damage
Rear Wing Adjustment
Quote from neglouseight :My suggestion isn't how to set up a pit stop it's how the LFS handles a pit stop. Right now it does everything one step after another. When in a lot of types of Motor racing everything is done at the same moment. This has nothing to do with F12. It has to do with LFS fixing damage, then changing the front tires, then fixing damage, then changing back tires, then adding fuel. Etc.

All of this should be going on at the exact same moment, not in steps or stages. Below is listing everything as a example. On screen bold would mean these items are currently active during the pit stop. This is just a basic idea.

Fuel #%
Front Wing Damage
Front Wing Adjustment
Front Tire Change
Body Damage
Rear Tire Change
Rear Wing Damage
Rear Wing Adjustment

In addition to that, maybe it would be an idea for the driver to be able to alter some of these settings DURING the pitstop, e.g. fuel %, wing settings. I know that this can be adjusted with the F12 menu, but being able to see all of your pit requests and being able to quickly alter some things would be quite useful. Also, trying to adjust things while racing can be tricky ..
+1 for concurrent pit crew actions as a server option set by admins
Quote :All the driver needs to do during pit stops is have a drink

And press the brake during tyre changes, and hold the revs whilst the car drops of the jacks.

I think in most GT racing series the number of pit crew is limited, its only really F1 that you see a swarm of brightly coloured overalls tripping over half a million quids worth of carbon fibre.

Personally i'm not really in favour of this, not because it wouldn't be better, but it would be wasted development time which delays us getting the actual animated dudes.
Quote from Becky Rose :And press the brake during tyre changes, and hold the revs whilst the car drops of the jacks.

I think in most GT racing series the number of pit crew is limited, its only really F1 that you see a swarm of brightly coloured overalls tripping over half a million quids worth of carbon fibre.

Personally i'm not really in favour of this, not because it wouldn't be better, but it would be wasted development time which delays us getting the actual animated dudes.

I agree. Every race class has different rules for pitting; from Le Mans to F1.

Le Mans you might have enough time to adjust settings because the stops are so long adding fuel first, then changing tyres, etc. F1 it all happens at once which would give you NO time to make any adjustments in 6 to 8 seconds.

This is why the "team boss" idea would be a good idea for league races...but for just pissing about on servers, no point.
Just don't see why each type of car LFS would default to it's type of pit stop. If your in a F1 car, you know your stop will be shorter since everything is going on at once. Just annoys me making a pit stop and doing it in a order when it should be happening all at the same time. :/
Quote from Becky Rose :And press the brake during tyre changes, and hold the revs whilst the car drops of the jacks.

In NASCAR and Indy Racing League it is 6 people over the wall, but they exploit it by putting people ON the wall

Ideally it should be 6 over the wall, lollipop guy and in NASCAR maybe the bloke with the long stick that gives the driver a drink (if they don't use the drink bottle system which F1 uses). In F1 6 people working on the car would make it a bit more interesting.
Quote from MadCatX :I agree with you neglouseight. Particulary in Formula and GTR class cars it's a bit ridiculous that it is all done step-by-step. But on the other hand, it doesn't matter if there are four tyres changed in 8 seconds or one tyre changed in 2 seconds, but done four times. Time spent in pits is what counts, and that seemes to be quite real right now.
Maybe once when there is a pit crew modelled this should be changed, but now just +0.5

I have to disagree. Time spent refueling and all 4 tire changes takes too long in all the Formula cars. When was the last time you did an 8 second pit in the BF1 changing tires and refueling?
Clearly we need a pit system similar to that of Days of Thunder for the Nintendo.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/ ... ys-of-thunder/screenshots

You can see the birds eye pit stop view. You have a pit crew, and you have to make each guy do his job in order. First you control the jack man, jack up one side, change the tires. Run the jack man to the other side, bring in the fuel guy. It was intense!

Simulated tire wear and heat, engine damage, body damage, fuel(i don't think fuel affected handling)
Quote from sweetreid :Clearly we need a pit system similar to that of Days of Thunder for the Nintendo.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/ ... ys-of-thunder/screenshots

You can see the birds eye pit stop view. You have a pit crew, and you have to make each guy do his job in order. First you control the jack man, jack up one side, change the tires. Run the jack man to the other side, bring in the fuel guy. It was intense!

Simulated tire wear and heat, engine damage, body damage, fuel(i don't think fuel affected handling)

HAHAHA! Thats funny! I remember playing that, the pitting (because ovals SUCK and requires no talent) was the best part of the game.
It surely is on their list of things to do before going from Alpha to final. There have been countless requests for extra fuel, tyre and damage options.

I'm still waiting for the "Add X% at stop" option in the fuel menu.
Quote from Dajmin :Sounds a little too complicated to do in the middle of a race.
Also, that's the pit crew's job. All the driver needs to do during pit stops is have a drink

I aggree with u!
My suggestion is:

1. Fill out manually a value for the step for a single-lap-refuel in the setup (for example 1.24% per Lap)
2. In the F12-menu there should be used this steps for quick strategy-changes
3. Another info-Tab in the F12-menu shows u in which lap u should come to ur next pitservice (next pit in Lap 29)
4. If this Lap isn´t so far away to finish without an extra-pitstop it should be marked red
5. A choise for a symetric tyre-Change would be great in the 12 menu, too

To the length of a pitstop i wish the server could choose if all services (front-,rear-tyre,refuel,damage,setupchanges) will be done simultaneous.
Today at the DTM-Race a real pitstop takes just 4.6 to 5.2 secounds and on OWRL mostly this driver wins who can drive this 300 km-distance without a pitstop.
#24 - FL!P
Quote from GrandlHuber :1. Fill out manually a value for the step for a single-lap-refuel in the setup (for example 1.24% per Lap)

Not sure to understand what you mean, here. What I'd like is the ability to set the quantity of fuel in terms of number of laps rather than in percentage of the tank, in the F12 screen. IRL it's the pit crew's job to crunch the numbers, not the driver's.

I agree with your other suggestions. Good ideas.

Talking about pit stops, I'd also like to see in the positions list a new column showing the number of pit stops already done by each driver. It would really help during league races with a mandatory pit stop.
Quote from FL!P :Not sure to understand what you mean, here.

I mean that u can manually define how much fuel u use for a lap.
For example: if u drive with a upfueled fo8 then u need much less patrol as u need for a qualylap, cause with an upfueled car u can´t rev up an engine so high like a lightweight car for a qualify.
So u can´t take the value from the f12-menu - this is only the fuel consumption of ur last driven lap. But it´s nearly the same value!

Quote from FL!P :Talking about pit stops, I'd also like to see in the positions list a new column showing the number of pit stops already done by each driver. It would really help during league races with a mandatory pit stop.

Would be great!

Pit Stops.
(27 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG