Real Time Team Boss
(21 posts, started )
Real Time Team Boss
I'm new to LFS just got it, being a MacPro user I have to restart in WinXP to play. Mac version would be nice but this isn't what my post is about.

I was practicing offline and setting up different races and I thought it would be interesting if LFS had a similar thing as the simulation X-Plane does. Where in X-Plane you can link to computers for one being the instructor and one being the pilot.

I thought this would be a interesting idea for LFS, where one would be the driver and the other would be the team boss. The driver would be obviously the driver of the race car. Now the team boss would work as a partner to the driver without being on the track. Since they would have on there screen telemetry, they can decide when to do a pit stop, how much fuel, if tires need to be changed or not. What kind of pit stop it will be. Then can also have a limited look at other cars from other teams. If you use a TS or Vent server, while racing have your Team Boss come over saying at lap 31 I am setting up a pit stop for you. Now the team boss part of the game would be strategy then the driver has to perform the strategy. The boss would be responsible for set up, and all aspects of the car just as a real team boss would be. Leaving the actually driving down to the other driver or drivers of the team. Depending on the style I am using Formula 1 for example a Team Boss may have two cars under is control. He would also have chat for each driver, or for the team.

Once the team boss sets a pit stop then a text warning can go on the screen for the driver or drivers that one is coming.

Just thought it would be a strategy part of the game, since you may have a player that likes to do set ups on the car but may not be the best driver. Or have a good driver that isn't as good at setting up and understanding the other elements. Bring these to together in a new what to play.
Quote from neglouseight :I'm new to LFS just got it, being a MacPro user I have to restart in WinXP to play. Mac version would be nice but this isn't what my post is about.

I was practicing offline and setting up different races and I thought it would be interesting if LFS had a similar thing as the simulation X-Plane does. Where in X-Plane you can link to computers for one being the instructor and one being the pilot.

I thought this would be a interesting idea for LFS, where one would be the driver and the other would be the team boss. The driver would be obviously the driver of the race car. Now the team boss would work as a partner to the driver without being on the track. Since they would have on there screen telemetry, they can decide when to do a pit stop, how much fuel, if tires need to be changed or not. What kind of pit stop it will be. Then can also have a limited look at other cars from other teams. If you use a TS or Vent server, while racing have your Team Boss come over saying at lap 31 I am setting up a pit stop for you. Now the team boss part of the game would be strategy then the driver has to perform the strategy. The boss would be responsible for set up, and all aspects of the car just as a real team boss would be. Leaving the actually driving down to the other driver or drivers of the team. Depending on the style I am using Formula 1 for example a Team Boss may have two cars under is control. He would also have chat for each driver, or for the team.

Once the team boss sets a pit stop then a text warning can go on the screen for the driver or drivers that one is coming.

Just thought it would be a strategy part of the game, since you may have a player that likes to do set ups on the car but may not be the best driver. Or have a good driver that isn't as good at setting up and understanding the other elements. Bring these to together in a new what to play.

So that means I would be able to give instructions to my team-mate and view his tyre temperatures, setup his pit stops and stuff for leagues?

The only thing is that it it would need a lot of server slots.
#3 - ZORER
+1 good idea.

it don't need any extra server slots if the team boss just connects to the racer's computer and get the data from there.
Yep that is my idea as the Team Boss you would be in charge of decisions for your team mate or mates that are on the track driving. So the drivers can keep there mind on driving.

While the Team Boss keeps his mind on what all the other teams are doing and what he has to do to help his driver or drivers win the race.

Team Boss mode would be like a enhance spectator mode, but with control over your teams cars. They would get to watch what there team is doing but the decisions they make have a effect on the team. They will also be able to watch other teams cars too, but the info they will get from other teams will be limited. Where with there own team would get complete telementry over all aspects of the car or cars.
Its a good idea but it already happens within teams anyway. When teams enter leagues for example, the drivers can talk over team speak about the race, stratagies, other teams. It doesnt happen on public servers as really the races aren't long enough to really warrent strategy planning.
Not the point I am thinking. Since I can talk all day long in TS to you, but during a race I can't set up some one eles pit stops, tires, fuel,
strategy during a race in real time for them. So they can keep their mind on the track and win for the team.

I imagine a online team racing. They are using TeamSpeak or Vent. The driver tells his Team Boss that his car is running a little wild. Asking him if he could adjust the aero on the front wing for his next pit stop. Where the Team Boss on his LFS screen would be able to make the adjustment, then tell him over the voice server for the team the adjustment is made for the next pit stop.
-
(Cue-Ball) DELETED by Cue-Ball : missed the last post
#7 - dev
I think only a minority of user would ever use this so:

-1 from me...
My idea isn't to force to always have a Team Boss, but to have the option to imerse yourself in a online team. It would be a advanced options for people to use or not to use. Depending how involved they want to be with it.

I come from Flight Sims and there are literally thousands of them that are solely virtual but have there own ranking systems, chain of command, and so on. This idea would be another possibility for realism to the world of racing.

Part of the fun for me in LFS is online but another part is setting up computer vs computer races to watch. Would be fun to be able to be a Team Boss for AI cars to practice.

More and more Online Racing teams will form and this would be a Team element to it. Would have people that are better drivers then bosses, or better bosses then drivers. Things done in the pits would have a roll in league championships, a Team Boss decisions would have effects for things on the track.

Online teams would become better, because they could have a rotation within the teams. This week I am team boss, learn the ins and outs of it. While some one else drives.

Imagine being a team boss and making a bad decision in a online championship that cost your team and driver a win? Or imagine being a driver having a boss that knows how to read other teams and know his stuff setting things to help you win.

This same kind of system could work for a rally type race. The team boss would be the co-driver. And instead of pit stops they would have a map, and there controls would be for the types of terrain and types of turns that the driver needs to know about ahead of time. Of course we would need long rally type tracks for this.
+1

I'm all for this, as a member of a team organized liek this it would be a huge advantage, and especially helpful in endurance races, where the car could be set up for the next driver by a 3rd party, rather than taking the driver's attention off of the course to do it via the pit menu. Having TP'ed for one of the F1 teams in the Sim FIA F1 championship, there are a bunch of times i wished i could do this for my drivers, so they could keep pushing while i figured fuel strategy.

I'm sure if everyone else on my team loked at this they would gladdly agree
The main problem that I can think of is lag. If you are connecting through the server to be a team boss, then there would need to be more slots. If you are connecting to the other's computer through say, tcp/ip address, then that person now has 2 connections going, one to the server and one to you.
Quote from neglouseight :I come from Flight Sims and there are literally thousands of them that are solely virtual but have there own ranking systems, chain of command, and so on. This idea would be another possibility for realism to the world of racing.

Racing door to door takes a lot more online than flight simming online. I'm on 56k and have been racing and flight simming for 2 years online. If I was to use teamspeak/Vent, then I am immediately kicked from the race server. Of course, I can expect that on 56k and many use TS/Vent with no problems on faster connections. But in flight simming (at www.wspilots.com is where I fly occasionally) I can fly on the server, web surf, download files, talk on TS/Vent (though it's choppy) all at the same time. Big difference than racing and the racing sim needing to precisely know where each and every car is on the track.
The flight sims I'm from you literally have hundreds of planes flying all in 3 dimensions shooting, bombing, etc all online. With thousands of ground targets. LFS I'm harldy using any connection compared to when I am flying sorties with other people.

My team boss idea is not a madatory idea forced on to everyone. It's for online racing teams, and league events. The average server would use it as a fun thing to try. it would be a advanced option to immerse yourself and your team in the feel of racing

With this idea you would see teams advance and expand. You would see not only virtual race drivers. But virtual team bosses and virtual mechanics.

This is a advanced option for leagues and tournaments, and for racing teams to use. Not for the cheap thrills racers.
Quote from mrodgers :The main problem that I can think of is lag. If you are connecting through the server to be a team boss, then there would need to be more slots. If you are connecting to the other's computer through say, tcp/ip address, then that person now has 2 connections going, one to the server and one to you.

Racing door to door takes a lot more online than flight simming online. I'm on 56k and have been racing and flight simming for 2 years online. If I was to use teamspeak/Vent, then I am immediately kicked from the race server. Of course, I can expect that on 56k and many use TS/Vent with no problems on faster connections. But in flight simming (at www.wspilots.com is where I fly occasionally) I can fly on the server, web surf, download files, talk on TS/Vent (though it's choppy) all at the same time. Big difference than racing and the racing sim needing to precisely know where each and every car is on the track.

You seem to have missed the point, the TP would connect to the driver;s comp ONLY, not the race server
Online at: [url="lfs://|%28FM%29+OvaL+JuNkIeS+%21|0|S2|/"](FM) OvaL JuNkIeS ![/url]

Plz plz can someone tell us where did we go all wrong with newbies

Sorry for the O/T
no where, theres nothing wrong with wanting something that woul dmake a TP's job easier
i think such a tool would be a great idea and i wanna help to write one

btw: the only secure way is to ONLY connect to the client pc's otherwise u need an authorization within the game to allow "boss access".
I think this idea would also be suited for pit stops and having a real time pit guy or girl: http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=22848

For someone like myself that is miles away from racing in the STCC, Im opting to support a team in the premier LFS league and Id like to be able to be at the race in real time watching and being able to talk to my drivers.

+1
so i got time to code, but i don't know how, because never developed something für lfs
I think more developers would probably lose the hardcore focus that the team has right now. They know what they want, and there's nobody to argue with them - more people bring more ideas which then have to be filtered out.
Sure, it might come quicker, but it'd be very different.

Anyway, back on topic.
In theory this idea is pretty cool, although I'm not sure how well it would work. I can't imagine many of the current racers being happy getting relegated to the Boss spot, since it's going to be less fun than actually driving (although I'm sure no less stressful).

It's probably not much use with the current in-race pit options we have, but I can see it being more interesting with nearly a full setup edit on hand.

+0.5 because although it sounds good in theory, I'm not convinced people would be happy to use it.
#19 - sbeu
good idea
I've had this idea. In my opinion it would be useful. But I think it should be a 3rd party tool that communicates with the client (already said).
So is it possible for an insim app (or outsim I don't know) to send how much fuel you must put in pit and to specify the tire change strategy?

If it's possible then I think an app like that should be easy to develop.
To summerize: The boss speaks with his pilot(s) with TS and can modify the amount of fuel to be put on pit and the tire strategy

Do I miss something?
Quote from Dajmin :In theory this idea is pretty cool, although I'm not sure how well it would work. I can't imagine many of the current racers being happy getting relegated to the Boss spot, since it's going to be less fun than actually driving (although I'm sure no less stressful).

This wouldn't be a feature that anyone is forced into. This would be more along the lines of something that leagues and teams would use, so that the driver can concentrate on driving and the team boss can worry about pit strategy.

Take MoE for instance. You could have Driver #1 in the car and Driver #2 acting as team boss, monitoring the tires, fuel level, and laptimes. Driver #2 says "You've got enough fuel left for about 3 more laps. Prepare to pit soon". Then the driver says "The back end is a little loose, can we adjust the rear ARB?". The team boss would then be able to determine how much fuel will be put into the car, which tires get changed, and what the rear ARB should be set at when the car pits. The driver just has to concentrate on the race. The team boss takes care of all the pit stop issues.

I think this would be a great tool, but I don't think that InSim supports sending packets to a particular client that can alter their setup. It seems like this type of thing would be required for server-forced setups though. So if that type of thing is ever going to be implemented, Scawen may have to add this functionality to InSim. I dunno.
+1

Real Time Team Boss
(21 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG