The online racing simulator
G25 pedal ProtoType... Awesome!
So I could no longer stand the way the bottom pivot pedals felt... I have been dealing with it for over 5 years... ever since my first Logitech wheel for GT3. I always wanted to flip them over, and make them top pivoting, like the way 90% of all cars are! So after spending some serious time with a level, ruler, calipers, paper, pen, and my RX8, I came up with my first prototype. I made it out of wood, because, well, that's what I had on hand. I will end up making it out of steel, to match the rest of my custom made driving setup... but that is a while in the future. And for now, I needed to try.
I started the mod at 1am... I just couldn't sleep. Taking the G25 pedals apart is easy, execpt for the pedals surfaces, those I had to use a cutting wheel and make notches to unscrew with a flat head screw driver.
After all was said and done, I have a working prototype. It works better than before... much better! I can now do a proper heel toe downshift
SWEET!

I'll post more, and better, pictures once I have my one made of metal.

Shrubba
Attached images
69D60010.jpg
#2 - Munza
nice work mate looks good
Dammit, most of Europe haven't got theirs yet, and some yank's got Tristanitus and is chopping his up.

Nice work btw.
Good idea, the way each pedal is independent of the main structure makes it easy I think.

I wait more pictures and more feedback
A proper racing car won't have top mounted pedals for the simple reason it will pivot the wrong way.

But nice to see you not putting up with dodgy build qualities and making them better
I don't know how I missed this thread, but you totally stole my idea!!! I also have the G25 and I hate the stock pedal placement. I planned to move the gas and brake closer together and figured that if I was going that far I might as well make them hanging as well. I will also likely use MDF to get the setup how I want it, then redo everything in steel once I get the setup exactly how I want it.

You'll have to let us know how you like it after you've had more time to use the new setup.
Why was it necessary to remove the pedal faces? Don't they function the same with the pedal just turned upside down?
The pedal faces are not identical if they are rotated 180 degrees. Example being, the throttle pedal has the lip on the lower-left for heel-toe. You'd need to remove/unscrew the pedal plates and just flip them around if you mount the base upside down.
Okee dokee

So is the OP saying that the screws don't have a screw head notch, and that you have to cut one yourself in order to unscrew them?
#10 - Woz
I think the gas and brake need to be closer to each other to allow heel-toe.
Quote from dontsimon :Okee dokee

So is the OP saying that the screws don't have a screw head notch, and that you have to cut one yourself in order to unscrew them?

Hmmm I don't know why he had to cut them. Because to me they look just like a typical screw/bolt made for an allen wrench.
Quote from dontsimon :So is the OP saying that the screws don't have a screw head notch, and that you have to cut one yourself in order to unscrew them?

I'm going to take a wild guess that he didn't have an allen wrench handy and had no way to get one when he started this project early in the morning. Cutting the bolts on the pedals is not necessary. You can remove them with a small allen wrench. I've removed the pedals on my G25 to inspect them without a problem and without resorting to cutting anything.
I had to remove the face of the pedals in order to pull it out of the plastic molded base. You will know what I mean when you try to disassemble. Also, I do have a ton of allen wrentches, but for some reason, the bolts on the pedals just didn't fit. And they are really really tight with lock tite. So I had to do the ole' notch and flat-head unscrew method after stripping a few of them trying to take them off. There are 6 bolts total, and I only got 2 out with out stripping.
Well, back to racing! Man I love the G25! Every one who tries it wants one! Even if they aren't too into sim racing... its that good! There is NOTHING that can touch the quality of this G25 for less than a thousand bucks!
Happy racing! I hope to see you all online soon... I have to get a better PC first.

Shrubba
I think it's because they're metric... I have a set of allen wrenches from japan , and the size 4 was prefect for the wheel's 6 bolts
Quote from jollyeskimo :I think it's because they're metric... I have a set of allen wrenches from japan , and the size 4 was prefect for the wheel's 6 bolts

jollyeskimo is correct; all of the fasteners are metric. In fact, G25 is designed completely in metric dimensions and materials.
Great idea mate, nice to see it looks pretty easy.
I can heel toe in my car fine, but find it hard with the stock pedals.
Would love to know your angles and dimensions.
Was this designed for under a desk with a chair or bucket seat or for a cockpit?
Don’t wait till its finished for more pic’s, get them up now

The brake pedal requires so much pressure it pushes my office chair away from the desk! I need to design a restraining device for that too
Is there any news about this mod? Or has anyone made a similar mod?

I'm thinking of making this one, but it's kinda hard to guess the sizes and angles, so if someone has the data required, please post

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG