The online racing simulator
Remove automatic throttle blip/cut
Why? Because it is simply unrealistic. Doing it manually is more fun anyway. Of course at least the BF1, FO8 and maybe some GTRs could have cutting as a car feature, depending if the cars had it in real life.

(Though automatic cut is pretty useless anyway because you don't even need to do it manually (except turbo cars) until we get decent engine damage.)

This wouldn't be a problem for keyboarders/mousers because you can't even disable cut/blip currently (if mouse/keyboard is choosed). So just leave it as it is or add some kind of "Gearing Help" which could be possible to enable only if mouse/keyboard is used as a main controller.

I think this wouldn't be a huge job to do (I mean remove ). Wasn't "Throttle Help" removed in the April patch? And in the test patch U only sequential mode is allowed in single-seaters which is a bit related to this suggestion, so I could see this feature get implemented in the near future patches. Though this wouldn't be possible to do in a compatible patch because of WR times...
#2 - herki
Don't remove it! If I want to play a quick round on my laptop, auto-blip and auto-cut are very important, because I can only use my keyboard there. And blipping isn't really easy to manage when using the keyboard, especially if you can't press several buttons at once.

So a big -1 from me

PS: I lift off and heel-toe (with manual clutch) when driving on my desktop-pc, just to mention it.

edit: better, next time I read the whole post. But I still think it's not worth removing. Throttle Help was replaced by TC, btw, which not every car has (in fact, atm there are only two)
Quote from deggis :Why? Because it is simply unrealistic. Doing it manually is more fun anyway. Of course at least the BF1, FO8 and maybe some GTRs could have cutting as a car feature, depending if the cars had it in real life.

(Though automatic cut is pretty useless anyway because you don't even need to do it manually (except turbo cars) until we get decent engine damage.)

This wouldn't be a problem for keyboarders/mousers because you can't even disable cut/blip currently (if mouse/keyboard is choosed). So just leave it as it is or add some kind of "Gearing Help" which could be possible to enable only if mouse/keyboard is used as a main controller.

I think this wouldn't be a huge job to do (I mean remove ). Wasn't "Throttle Help" removed in the April patch? And in the test patch U only sequential mode is allowed in single-seaters which is a bit related to this suggestion, so I could see this feature get implemented in the near future patches. Though this wouldn't be possible to do in a compatible patch because of WR times...

Trouble with removing auto-blip is we have no real control over the clutch (we can't even hold the clutch between shifts by keeping the paddle pulled anymore) unless we have a third pedal, in which case we'd have blip turned off anyway. The way you blip with auto-clutch is very different to the way you would have to do it with a clutch pedal, so it's no more realistic imo.
My two pence. I can't kid myself I'm doing anything in a more realistic way just by hitting the throttle pedal a bit more on downshifts as I operate the gearbox and the clutch itself with a paddle.

PS: despite my using the auto-blip option, I see no reason to turn it off, I do use the right pedal as I'm braking/downchanging, particularly in rwd cars. But I only do it because it's faster.
Quote from deggis :Why? Because it is simply unrealistic.

Is it? Some real life cars do have "auto blip"..
Theres a difference between uncommon and unrealistic.
#6 - Woz
hmmm. The Enzo does the following during a gear change...

1) Cuts throttle.
2) Makes the rear susspension stiffer
3) Changes gear
4) Blips to balance the revs for the new gear
5) Dumps the clutch

And that is all in a fraction of a second. So how is the cut and blip unrealistic?

Ah, the Enzo can't be a real car....

No it is real
yeah, heaps of Starions came out with auto blip, sheesh.
#8 - RaVeR
This would close of the game to people wanting to get into it illepall also im a mouser and a happy one at that
Quote from sinbad :Trouble with removing auto-blip is we have no real control over the clutch (we can't even hold the clutch between shifts by keeping the paddle pulled anymore) unless we have a third pedal, in which case we'd have blip turned off anyway. The way you blip with auto-clutch is very different to the way you would have to do it with a clutch pedal, so it's no more realistic imo.

I have to admit that I didn't really think about that... but on the other hand it would be still one step (at least a tiny step) closer to total realism. Though the whole clutch emulation is a WIP anyway. At least you would have to do the blipping always yourself. I think this is pretty much the same thing as using unrealistically small steering wheel turn - larger range would give a player more control over the car but doesn't make you faster so practically it doesn't give any advantage. In my opinion games should somehow motivate people to use their H-plate shifters and clutch pedals more and more... at least this would be a tiny step in that area.

Quote from lalathegreat :Theres a difference between uncommon and unrealistic.

When something is uncommon enough it becomes unrealistic.

Quote from Woz :hmmm. The Enzo does the following during a gear change...

Ah, the Enzo can't be a real car....

No it is real

So all the cars in LFS are actually Ferrari Enzos but disguised as normal road cars, GTRs and formulas?

Quote from RaVeR :This would close of the game to people wanting to get into it illepall also im a mouser and a happy one at that

Read my first post... this wouldn't affect mousers, blipping and cutting would be automatic for you anyway.
Quote from deggis :In my opinion games should somehow motivate people to use their H-plate shifters and clutch pedals more and more... at least this would be a tiny step in that area.

I agree with you in principle, but they are not widely owned/cheaply available. As long as that is the case, then paddle shifting probably has to be a viable way of playing a sim competitively.
I have raced two cars with H gates, and they where fricken aweful.
It's not like everybody have clutch pedals and clutching with a button is, well, gay
Quote from motary :It's not like everybody have clutch pedals and clutching with a button is, well, gay

tere m8, exactly... used clutch button long time, but its shit for realism so switched back to autoclutch until i have pedals with clutchpedal...
I'd say remove auto blip and cut from the road cars and UFR. Force throttle cut and make throttle blip optional in the race cars, much more realistic without engine damage simulated.
Quote from Becky Rose :I have raced two cars with H gates, and they where fricken aweful.

And how that relates to my suggestion?

Quote from motary :It's not like everybody have clutch pedals and clutching with a button is, well, gay

You don't need a clutch pedal if you are doing the the blipping yourself. Even I have only a regular MOMO with no clutch pedal (until I buy G25).

Quote from ajp71 :I'd say remove auto blip and cut from the road cars and UFR. Force throttle cut and make throttle blip optional in the race cars, much more realistic without engine damage simulated.

+1 but I'd force throttle cut only in single-seaters. Maybe in the big GTRs too. Scawen should simply decide which cars has it which don't...
Quote from deggis :...
Scawen should simply decide which cars has it which don't...

I think he has. He mentioned in one thread something about the GTR gearboxes, iirc it was something that they have decided what kind of gearboxes&stuff the GTRs will be equipped with. But this is just me saying something based fully on my weak memory (I take valium, morphin and diarrhea medication on hourly basis . Not that t helps but it makes happy happy HAPPY PERSON Goddammit)

EDIT: I remembered it a bit wrong. But as much as I hate to quote single posts made not so recently, ehre is what I found:
http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=159720#post159720
http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=162994#post162994
Quote from ajp71 :I'd say remove auto blip and cut from the road cars and UFR. Force throttle cut and make throttle blip optional in the race cars, much more realistic without engine damage simulated.

My point was that you're still using auto-clutch anyway, still using auto-gear-select, you just tell it when to happen. I don't see any need or reason to draw a line of realism at auto-blip/cut.

I think that blipping to match revs when you're engaging the next gear with a paddle and have no clutch control is just as unrealistic, only in a different way, and not exactly good training for people that want to get that all important 3rd pedal. Imagine trying to heel-toe to match revs with a LFS paddle shift. Removing this option would be very tough on people who right-foot-brake, I think, and would actively encourage people to LFB exclusively, even in the road cars.
Quote from sinbad :I think that blipping to match revs when you're engaging the next gear with a paddle and have no clutch control is just as unrealistic, only in a different way, and not exactly good training for people that want to get that all important 3rd pedal. Imagine trying to heel-toe to match revs with a LFS paddle shift. Removing this option would be very tough on people who right-foot-brake, I think, and would actively encourage people to LFB exclusively, even in the road cars.

Yeah, I agree. If LFS were hardcore enough to only allow you to drive the road cars with a three-pedal setup, then it would be hardcore enough to not have the automatic throttle blip. But as long as you're able to drive a car that would have a foot clutch without using a foot clutch yourself, I don't like the idea of making us blip ourselves.

Don't get me wrong, I love using heel and toe in my real car, but I wouldn't enjoy it so much with a button for a clutch...
um, i don't want to destroy the pedals by lifting every shift and then flouring.
Quote :And how that relates to my suggestion?

Dunno.

OK well the point is your talking about gear change aids because the LFS cars mostly look like saloons, but that does not mean they have H gates, although technically, looking at the interiors in LFS they do, but I didnt think of that when I posted.

Being a single seater race fan, and because I mostly drive the single seaters in LFS, to me an H gate isn't a necessary realism aid, so when I drive other cars in LFS I just carry on using the paddle shift all the same - it's a far superior method of control IRL* and should I ever get to race a big car again i'll elect to use a paddle shift if it is allowed by whatever series i'm in.

* Mercedese paddle shift system accepted as the exception to prove the rule.
Quote from Hyperactive :EDIT: I remembered it a bit wrong. But as much as I hate to quote single posts made not so recently, ehre is what I found:
http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=159720#post159720
http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=162994#post162994

Nice find... actually the most interesting in that post was the part where Scawen talks about false stars... finally!

Quote from Becky Rose :Being a single seater race fan, and because I mostly drive the single seaters in LFS, to me an H gate isn't a necessary realism aid, so when I drive other cars in LFS I just carry on using the paddle shift all the same - it's a far superior method of control IRL* and should I ever get to race a big car again i'll elect to use a paddle shift if it is allowed by whatever series i'm in.

Of course it is far superior system in real life and it should be that in games too but only if the real world version of the car has it.

Actually isn't it pretty funny that we are supposed to be sim gamers but we still accept lots of "driving helps" especially what comes to the controllers. Though clutch+shifter equipments haven't really been affordable for everyone but thanks to G25 soon it will be... Too bad that basicly there is no point buying a clutch and a shifter when you only get punished using those by loosing time. In the perfect world everyone would have at least G25 and everyone would be forced to use realistic controller setups.

Have anyone else ever thought about how much more actual handling skill that would bring to sims? I use black MOMO's crappy plastic seq shifter in Richard Burns Rally and even that is just so much more fun (though it is actually unrealistic in RBR because WRC cars has a foward-backward paddle on the right side of the wheel in real life ). It's so huge difference, you just can't drive the same way you can with paddles and not actually care about when you have to take your hand off the wheel to change gear. Though I mostly play RBR for my own fun in single player so at least I don't have to think about "damn, I would be x secs faster if I used paddles".
Look, unless excellent 3 pedal and wheel sets become the norm, forget about this anti auto blip and cut madness. And those H-gate game shifters are as Becky Rose said, AWFUL. Heck, they're worse than the real thing.

UNLESS our developers have somehow perfected their own perfect for LFS steering wheel with pedal shift, H-shifter and 3 pedal sets that sell for no more than 150 pounds, forget about this anti-blip/cut madness. The reason I'm still using KB stabilized is precisely due to the lack of GREAT steering sets on the market. All of them feel too arcadish (like a bunch of underdamped springs artificially simulated by an electric motor). And the pedals are just AWFUL compared to RL. Even my 1994 Pajero has much better steering and pedal feel.

Unless a brilliant racecar sim hardware package shows up on the market at a reasonable plus, this suggestion gets -10^99 from me. BTW, I've never really used throttle and brake help in S2.

Case/thread closed.
a stabilised keyboard feels more realistic than a dfp...????
No, I'm not saying that KB is more realistic. I'm saying that I simply can't get FFB sets that actually simulate what I feel blasting down a circuit or mountain pass IRL. I just refuse to spend money on sub par systems.
Quote from Jamexing :And those H-gate game shifters are as Becky Rose said, AWFUL. Heck, they're worse than the real thing.

Becky was talking about real life race cars with H gearbox. Or then I got it totally wrong.

Quote :UNLESS our developers have somehow perfected their own perfect for LFS steering wheel with pedal shift, H-shifter and 3 pedal sets that sell for no more than 150 pounds, forget about this anti-blip/cut madness. The reason I'm still using KB stabilized is precisely due to the lack of GREAT steering sets on the market. All of them feel too arcadish (like a bunch of underdamped springs artificially simulated by an electric motor). And the pedals are just AWFUL compared to RL. Even my 1994 Pajero has much better steering and pedal feel.

Well, that's funny. You think Frex, ECCI and other pro stuff is also crap? Have you even tried them? Or why don't you buy a Force Dynamics, I'm sure even Schumacher would be pleased with that. Only 20 000 $.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG