The online racing simulator
What a pity though that you've removed sequential shifter option :/... at least H-shifter is better now ^^.
That was a very difficult decision, and one we really did not enjoy making. Ultimately, the improvement in the way the shifter feels won out, though.
Yes, the shifter on the G27 does feel a lot firmer and more natural, much less toy like. Although I wouldn't have minded if it was weightier still. The wheel is indeed smoother to drive with although I can't say I noticed the wheel being quieter but if I'd done a side by side test with a G25 it might well have been obvious. Things like that my brain is used to ignoring, so it's not obvious when they're gone. I was a little concerned that the FFB didn't seem as strong but again I didn't test side by side to see if I was imagining that or not. Perhaps it's the lack of a notchy feel that means the same force is perceived as less.

I'm assuming, if I bought personally bought a G27, I'd still be able to attach the G25 shifter for using sequential mode?
Quote from Bob Smith :Yes, the shifter on the G27 does feel a lot firmer and more natural, much less toy like. Although I wouldn't have minded if it was weightier still. The wheel is indeed smoother to drive with although I can't say I noticed the wheel being quieter but if I'd done a side by side test with a G25 it might well have been obvious. Things like that my brain is used to ignoring, so it's not obvious when they're gone. I was a little concerned that the FFB didn't seem as strong but again I didn't test side by side to see if I was imagining that or not. Perhaps it's the lack of a notchy feel that means the same force is perceived as less.

I'm assuming, if I bought personally bought a G27, I'd still be able to attach the G25 shifter for using sequential mode?

Bob, using my logic, I'd imagine you could, as the sequential shifter just presses gears 3 and 4 (IIRC) rather than 1 - 6 + R. In all reality the only difference is the knob to turn it, the change in allowed motion and the light denoting Sequential or H-pattern.
The G25's shifter is not detected by the G27. Whether that's a PCB layout thing, a firmware thing, or a driver I'm not sure right now. I'll have to talk to some people when I get into the office (five hours from now at this point )
Quote from Goo (Logitech) :The G25's shifter is not detected by the G27. Whether that's a PCB layout thing, a firmware thing, or a driver I'm not sure right now. I'll have to talk to some people when I get into the office (five hours from now at this point )

Maybe you should be sleeping at 3 AM then
I've been working on this thing for close to two years now, so I'm kind of excited that I can actually talk about it finally.
Quote from Goo (Logitech) :It's real. I just couldn't talk about it until we announced it - which just happened. Even though you've been discussing it speculatively since what seems like Christmas 2008.

My name is Chris and I'm a product manager at Logitech. Among other products, I've been working on wheels (including the Driving Force Pro, Driving Force GT, G25 and now the G27) for about the last nine years.

somehow i don't buy this... we've had people come here before claiming to be employees of logitech...

call me uber-skeptic if you want, but that new design is just terrible and i can't believe logitech would release such an inferior product.

Quote from Bob Smith :Yes, the shifter on the G27 does feel a lot firmer and more natural, much less toy like.

how did you get your hands on one?

oh, and the logitech website still doesn't show the g27...
Quote from bunder9999 :somehow i don't buy this... we've had people come here before claiming to be employees of logitech...

call me uber-skeptic if you want, but that new design is just terrible and i can't believe logitech would release such an inferior product.

He's not faking it. Trust me. The same name (and mannerisms) has posted at RSC before regarding the G25 (with perfectly correct info). Also if I'm not mistaken, he also posted here regarding the G25.

Be as skeptical as you'd like but I'd bet my peaches he's not faking it. Just because of the timing of Him then SRT guys posting (almost exactly at midnight PDT). Sounds like this Monday was the day that all the coverings regarding it got lifted.

I do fail to see how it's inferior. It gives most users of the G25 what they wanted:
1) Quieter and smoother steering
2) More wheel buttons
3) Better feeling Shifter
4) Adjustable pedals (to make H+T easier).

All of those look like improvements to me over the G25 (and exactly what most people had to complain about the G25). I don't think (IMO) that it's worth a whole new 300~$ wheel, but they are improvements upon the G25 and shows that Logitech does listen to its customers, rather than Fanatec's "OMG SUPER PORSCHE 911 WHEEL VERSION 40 NOW WITH A SHIFTER MOVED 3 INCHES TO THE RIGHT!".

Quote from dawesdust_12 :He's not faking it. Trust me. The same name (and mannerisms) has posted at RSC before regarding the G25 (with perfectly correct info)

i used to be a forum moderator... to me that means nothing more than someone cross-posting on several forums... spammers do that all the time.

Quote :I do fail to see how it's inferior. It gives most users of the G25 what they wanted:
1) Quieter and smoother steering
2) More wheel buttons
3) Better feeling Shifter
4) Adjustable pedals (to make H+T easier).

my wheel is quiet, and my shifter is fine... as long as you treat it properly and not act like a jackass, you shouldn't end up with a broken/noisy shifter. the buttons are hideous and look misplaced. the only benefit you mention is adjustable pedals... but you also lose the sequential for all these supposed benefits. why didn't they also make the gas pedal stiffer and dampen the sound caused by hitting the pedal backstops?

Quote :but they are improvements upon the G25 and shows that Logitech does listen to its customers, rather than Fanatec's "OMG SUPER PORSCHE 911 WHEEL VERSION 40 NOW WITH A SHIFTER MOVED 3 INCHES TO THE RIGHT!".

i saw the review for the fanatec, and unless i've got the wrong wheel, that thing looks like a plastic pile of crap... at least the g25 has some visible metal.

i'm leaving this at that until i see this thing in the store for real... and even then, i probably won't "upgrade" my g25...
Quote from bunder9999 :how did you get your hands on one?

These things are tested before release you know. Aside from private hardware beta testing, game developers need hardware to ensure support. No point launching a wheel and then having to wait for all the software to be patched before people can use it.
Quote from bunder9999 :i used to be a forum moderator... to me that means nothing more than someone cross-posting on several forums... spammers do that all the time.

my wheel is quiet, and my shifter is fine... as long as you treat it properly and not act like a jackass, you shouldn't end up with a broken/noisy shifter. the buttons are hideous and look misplaced. the only benefit you mention is adjustable pedals... but you also lose the sequential for all these supposed benefits. why didn't they also make the gas pedal stiffer and dampen the sound caused by hitting the pedal backstops?

i saw the review for the fanatec, and unless i've got the wrong wheel, that thing looks like a plastic pile of crap... at least the g25 has some visible metal.

i'm leaving this at that until i see this thing in the store for real... and even then, i probably won't "upgrade" my g25...

I can't believe that you can't see that this is still an upgrade. Sure it doesn't do what you want, but for others maybe it's that Ace that goes "NOW IT WORKS!". I'm content with my current G25, but if someone was gonna say "Wanna swap" for a brand new G27, I certainly wouldn't say no, if only for the extra wheel buttons. The adjustable pedals are a nice touch and a better shifter would be great as well. I have no complains with my G25 shifter (works perfectly still), but if it was more durable I'd use it more often.
I certainly wouldn't buy a Q6600 to replace my X3210, or buy an 8800GTS to replace my 8800GT - but if I had nothing i'd probably go for the slightly better / faster bits in the first place...

Same for the wheel - it's more to compete for new users rather than for existing G25 owners.

My G25 is sitting on my shelf having not being used in months...
I'm not buying the G27 because:

- I already have the G25
- I don't feel like to re-do the pedals mod
- I'm studying abroad and I don't have time for playing

Otherwise I might go for it. As Jakg said, if I were a new customer, then I'd go for the better one.
-
(Stiggie) DELETED by Stiggie
Its nice but since ive already modified my G25 i'll wait for the G29.

Its indeed very pleasing to see that Logitech pays atention to their customers and improve their hardware accordingly, just like dawesdust_12 mentioned.

However i love the sequential shifter mode of the G25, it really adds to the excitement of downshifting and braking for a corner. I've only stopped using it because its kinda wear out now and led to lots of false shifts...

Allthough the Flappy paddles on the G25 are very well crafted together, i HATE using them.

So how about building a decent sequential Shifter which can be purchased seperatly Mr. Goo?:dopey: Right now the only option for a well-made sequential shifter is paying ridiculous amounts of money for shipping, tolls & taxes to buy one of these
Quote from Metalass :Right now the only option for a well-made sequential shifter is paying ridiculous amounts of money for shipping, tolls & taxes to buy one of these

Am I reading too much into the layout diagram, or does the clutch being connected to the H-shifter mean it physically won't let me shift without pressing the clutch?

Elderado - nice, but do the heater vents actually work?
Quote from shaun cole :im real allright.

But the big question is a real what????

dont all feel the need to jump in on that comment

how is it with LFS?
One of the drivers (no pun intended) behind announcing it today was its presence on the EA stand at GDC Europe. They're running Need for Speed Shift with it. Generally we don't announce products over a month before general availability, but this product was so far into the public eye and this community is so enthusiastic about getting information on new hardware, I pushed to get it to happen early.

Metalass - it is highly unlikely that we would make something like that, but not impossible. When I'm weighing product development resources vs potential products, it's difficult to prioritize such a project.
That thing looks so fake...
Quote from Bob Smith :Am I reading too much into the layout diagram, or does the clutch being connected to the H-shifter mean it physically won't let me shift without pressing the clutch?

Elderado - nice, but do the heater vents actually work?

Seems so Bob, if you watch some videos of it in usage your eyes are going to water! But just the idea of having to disassemble my wheel in order to plug it in and the fact that i'd have to pay a lot of money to Mrs. Merkel for toll and taxes and sh*t puts it out of the "to buy list" :irked:

oh and thank you for the answer Goo!

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG