The online racing simulator
Quote from NightShift :
Indeed you have a point in waiting, better things are often ahead but keep holding your breath forever and you're going to die from choking

That is a realy good phrase, I'm going to remember that one.
that g23 looks quite good :P
Quote from oqvist :But the shifter should be able to take normal abuse. Imagine you are in a real car and the shifter nob comes loose.

You shouldn´t have to be really careful just use one finger to shift for example even though that is how the G25 shifter is designed obviously.

So it´s still Logitechs fault they didn´t make the shifter sturdy enough for normal use.

There's a big difference between slaming shifter into gears and fast shifting ! I would like to have little more "hardcore-look" shifter, but i think that you cant break it if you dont realy slam shifter 24 hours per day.
Quote from oqvist :Imagine you are in a real car and the shifter nob comes loose.

No imagination needed, seen that in RL. Opel Vectra B, starting off from the green light, on shift from 1st to 2nd gear the gear knob flies off and goes onto the back seat, the engine revs like mad, we were barelly sitting laughing...
Quote from [RF]-art555 :No imagination needed, seen that in RL. Opel Vectra B, starting off from the green light, on shift from 1st to 2nd gear the gear knob flies off and goes onto the back seat, the engine revs like mad, we were barelly sitting laughing...

Or a brand new VW Golf GTI mk V, in a similar situation.
well, in my case I take more care of the G25 than my school works But since people are making mods even for the real things instead of games, there was a guy on Youtube who made the shifter harder to use (you'll need the hand instead of the finger to use it as a matter of fact).
How long do you lads think that shifter's going to last?
Well in my case it would increase the life span. I got rid of that pos after 1 week and bought a SST lightning shifter.
Cheaper than buying the next Logi-Wheel, and more fun too:

Quote from TagForce :Cheaper than buying the next Logi-Wheel, and more fun too:

Thats just needs to be the G35
Faaake! I wonder how will be next Logitech wheel looking? Maybe they'll install safety airbags and dashboard?
#61 - Gunn
Quote from MijnWraak :Most of the broken shifters are from users abusing the thing. I let my brother try and drive once, and he slammed the thing into the gears. Its not a real shifter, folks. There is a line beyond using which crosses into abuse. If you use it correctly, it will not break. The shifter has not broken on me in two years. Sure, it could have been made to suffer abuse, but it wasn't, and you must change your actions to reflect that.

Very good post. Wheels/joysticks etc need to be treated as input controllers rather than a gym set. That's why I advise to never let your mates or siblings use your controllers. I've got wheels that are a decade old and still fully functional and are well-used.

Don't get me wrong, I've broken gear myself too, but it can last a long time if handled sensibly - not necessarily gently, but certainly smoothly and within its limits.

One of the main shortcomings of the G25 (and the DFP before it), is that part of the design strategy of the device makes provision for weight of the product (to save money on shipping) and how tightly you can pack it into a small box (save money on shpping and storage). It's actually quite amazing when you begin to grasp how much of the design caters to cost saving, or profiteering. It's an act of pure genius really, the way they design these things. The genius design however, favours the manufaturer and retailer much more than the hardcore gamer.

The G25, the Fanatec Porsche wheel etc are actually quite good for what they are - but they are still metal and plastic and can be broken quite easily by even a skinny pre-teen kid trying to beat his PB at Monaco, or the Rally of Finland, or during six laps of South City Long.

Look after your gear and always be mindful of the physical limitations.
Quote :Faaake! I wonder how will be next Logitech wheel looking? Maybe they'll install safety airbags and dashboard?

lol you laugh about dash board but personally if done right i think a little gauge pod either integrated or as an addon with a little utility like that used by the beta innovation boards would be ace

edit: blimey just looked on beta innovations website and they have closed
Attached images
ohrly.jpg
I still don't beleive it! Even if it looks sooo realistic
Quote from Gunn :Very good post. Wheels/joysticks etc need to be treated as input controllers rather than a gym set. That's why I advise to never let your mates or siblings use your controllers. I've got wheels that are a decade old and still fully functional and are well-used.

Don't get me wrong, I've broken gear myself too, but it can last a long time if handled sensibly - not necessarily gently, but certainly smoothly and within its limits.

One of the main shortcomings of the G25 (and the DFP before it), is that part of the design strategy of the device makes provision for weight of the product (to save money on shipping) and how tightly you can pack it into a small box (save money on shpping and storage). It's actually quite amazing when you begin to grasp how much of the design caters to cost saving, or profiteering. It's an act of pure genius really, the way they design these things. The genius design however, favours the manufaturer and retailer much more than the hardcore gamer.

The G25, the Fanatec Porsche wheel etc are actually quite good for what they are - but they are still metal and plastic and can be broken quite easily by even a skinny pre-teen kid trying to beat his PB at Monaco, or the Rally of Finland, or during six laps of South City Long.

Look after your gear and always be mindful of the physical limitations.

Good post yourself.

**Edit. Wait - Wait - Wait: Somehow I lost my reason for posting. I've forgotten to take my Adderall today....sorry.... The main point was to mention the durability of most controllers made by smaller company's.

With that said Please Continue:

I myself really admire what some of the smaller company's are doing with their sim racing controls. However, I am a huge advocate of the new Clubsport pedals Fanatec is going to release. They look and sound to be a lot more like the hardcore controls made by these smaller company's at a bargain price. I see it as a huge step forward.

Eventually I want to give my hard earned dollars to CST though. I really like the products I've seen them develop. Plus they are only in the next state up from me and doing business with a small business is always better then with company that doesn't have as much passion and personal pride in their products. You can't reflect your passion in your work when a CEO is breathing down the neck of your supervisor and crap starts it's roll down hill to your inbox. This is the same reason why LFS is such a great success. We get to see a undistorted end result. Small business truly powers the ideas, despite what the big dogs of the world will have you believe.

On a final thought we should all try and give these smaller company's some more business. Even if waiting or more money is a prerequisite. Whether it is just a Nixim brake mod for your existing G25 or a full out Frex SimWheel w/a hydrobrake. These are the people making the innovations, because a lot of them are us. And we know that we know best.

Jay
g27
Shock horror, didn't see that coming.
Oh, I need some pics to beleive it.
more pics please ^^

E: oops beaten by Töki
Quote from Sethro :I work for a leading uk driving games developer and we actually have a prototype in the office so yes its real

is it a game or a sim?
Quote from StableX :is it a game or a sim?

is there actually any top driving games that are made in britain? Codemasters suck so they dont count. Any others?
Quote from trebor901 :is there actually any top driving games that are made in britain? Codemasters suck so they dont count. Any others?

Most likely Codemasters. Although they should stop flattering themselves and call themself Codesuckers.

on topic: I hope The G27 is actually worth the money- because if its crap like G25 and it's shoddy build quality, Logidreck can GTFO.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG