The online racing simulator
Kyoto Ring 2013 Textures
(13 posts, started )
Kyoto Ring 2013 Textures
Kyoto Ring 2013 Textures
tell me what you think , iam not really sure about the ground and
i hope i will find some good landscapes for the backround .
enjoy :]

some pics

Download
FIRST!!

oh shit.. This is nice!
I think it looks amazing.
thx

what kind of improovments do you think i should do ?
The work itself is very good. The asphalt texture is ok, but the problem (imho) is with the road markings and side banners. They are too sharp, too clean, like they have just been painted. And on LFS's graphic engine this gives a slightly gamey/cartoonish/unrealistic look.
They have to look like part of the whole, like the track is weared out by time and races. So some dirt, scratches, and other imperfections are welcomed.

Side question: no intention of being disrespectful of your work, but are these textures created by you ? adapted from what you can find on the net ? from other games ? Kind of remind me of Lynce's work.

Anyway, good effort. Thank you
I do not see a cartoony or unrealistic look at all. I agree about the scratches and wear but I think having it look like a fresh and new track is what is needed. With Aston Old it would give too similar of a look. I think only minor fixes along the edges of the tarmac and curbs is needed, make them a little more uniform and transition smoothly. I noticed the same on Aston, the curbs look good but they do not flow and transition in an inconspicuous manner.

Transitioning from the texture to texture is about the only thing I see that could use work. It's not horrible but not perfect, however I will still use them because they look sooooo much better in HQ.
Quote from luchian :The work itself is very good. The asphalt texture is ok, but the problem (imho) is with the road markings and side banners. They are too sharp, too clean, like they have just been painted. And on LFS's graphic engine this gives a slightly gamey/cartoonish/unrealistic look.
They have to look like part of the whole, like the track is weared out by time and races. So some dirt, scratches, and other imperfections are welcomed.

Side question: no intention of being disrespectful of your work, but are these textures created by you ? adapted from what you can find on the net ? from other games ? Kind of remind me of Lynce's work.

thank you for comment , well iam getting all my textures from websites like this >> http://www.mayang.com/textures/

the asphalt road i used in KY and WST i think are the same as used in revolution pack for FE , dont really remember where i found that great road texture. i dont use textures from other games , its very hard to find good free HQ textures out there and if you dont have a DSLR camera and a race track near your house then its hard .
the curbs made from scratch by me , no pictures there .
ground textures are combo of 2 textures that i put together to make those edges and "random" look . i found a great technique doing that with the "magic wand"
the asphalt is very bright and smooth so i put on work in there too with all kind of brushes .
i really do want to make some dirt on the edges of the asphalt and some scratches and stuff but i cant make it random and the way lfs textures work is no good , i'll post a picture later that you could see what iam talking about with the dirt.
i could share with you my texture folder if you want and make some texture for the game too .
(sorry for double comment )

here is a good exapmle from Westhill on why its difficult to create asphalt that has some kind of cracks or dirt edges to it and damage .

look at it , its just a big mess , anything but smooth "fresh looking" asphalt will look bad. and thats way Aston old took me alot of time .
also notice the orange dots pit entry is stretched and on the left how oversized the red dots are .
you can also notice the square line and see how many times 1 file duplicate it self :s

-Green & Pink is Roadbump file (its like a half road file)

-Red & orange & Blue is Road file ( half of it is a long half road like roadbump and other half is the pit area)

looks great too me,thankyou
@shimon:
Yes, I know it's quite difficult unfortunately to insert some cracks into the road without visible patterns. But I was not talking about the road itself. I am refering to road markings (the paint, is too white, too clean - look at the start checker for example). Also the side banners they are too clean. Why am I insisting on this: the LFS's graphic engine is not very up-to-date so you have no real shadows, or light variations on the objects and this makes it look blunt when too clean. The only solution is to "bake" these variations into the textures themselves. Now as of today we have some advantage on this point compared with the time Eric has made the original stuff. The memory limits are way more generous for us..

For the second part: I also know the problem with texture stretching on the circuit. I personally use reference maps (like http://www.duber.cz/dump/uv_map_reference.jpg this one) to help me understand what comes where. For the ROAD file, look carefully; you should be able to use different scale/stretch on the two halves of the file in order to obtain some uniformity. I have done this on some Aston road I have tried and the result was not so bad.

Good luck and keep it up

PS: if you wish to share texture files, of course I would be happy to have them. As we all know they are never enough .
Quote from luchian :@shimon:
Yes, I know it's quite difficult unfortunately to insert some cracks into the road without visible patterns. But I was not talking about the road itself. I am refering to road markings (the paint, is too white, too clean - look at the start checker for example). Also the side banners they are too clean. Why am I insisting on this: the LFS's graphic engine is not very up-to-date so you have no real shadows, or light variations on the objects and this makes it look blunt when too clean. The only solution is to "bake" these variations into the textures themselves. Now as of today we have some advantage on this point compared with the time Eric has made the original stuff. The memory limits are way more generous for us..

For the second part: I also know the problem with texture stretching on the circuit. I personally use reference maps (like http://www.duber.cz/dump/uv_map_reference.jpg this one) to help me understand what comes where. For the ROAD file, look carefully; you should be able to use different scale/stretch on the two halves of the file in order to obtain some uniformity. I have done this on some Aston road I have tried and the result was not so bad.

Good luck and keep it up

PS: if you wish to share texture files, of course I would be happy to have them. As we all know they are never enough .

Yes your right , the road marking do look way too clean/bright/white i will blend them to the road and give them some wear and add some more dust and dirt to the curbs + all walls . The only thing i really want to change is the backround landscape but dont have good pics
Quote from luchian :The work itself is very good. The asphalt texture is ok, but the problem (imho) is with the road markings and side banners. They are too sharp, too clean, like they have just been painted. And on LFS's graphic engine this gives a slightly gamey/cartoonish/unrealistic look.

If you see the fifth picture carefully you can watch that the edge and white line are the same texture than the RP 2012. The tarmac is from cgtextures, the white line is from another texture and the edge too. So I made from three textures from three different locations that texture in photoshop. This guy tell you a lie.

I'm not worried, Shimon, if you use my work to make your own textures because you don't know make original things. I'm worried because it is sad the lack of respect you have showed to everybody making this.
Quote from shimon-ifraimov :the asphalt road i used in KY and WST i think are the same as used in revolution pack for FE , dont really remember where i found that great road texture.

He at least mentioned it, though it is pretty much hidden.

Kyoto Ring 2013 Textures
(13 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG