The online racing simulator
Sequential AND paddle shift script
Hello! Hoping some clever soul might know how to make LFS work in a particular and odd way. I need to practise/learn (and develop some muscle memory) how to change gear with a sequential stick using a paddle as an ignition cut - i.e. pull two levers at once.

Is it possible to emulate this within LFS, so that I have to pull both levers to initiate the gear change?

Using a G25 if it helps.

Ta
Hey tristan

You could try and create a Makro in the Logitech Profiler utilizing the stick upshift and the paddle you want to use. Not used to the Profiler anymore, but I think you can assign a single keystroke to the makro (that is, for instance the button right-control on your keyboard is pressed when the makro is initiated - both wheel buttons were pressed).
Then you assign this right-control key to an upshift in LFS.

Just a shot in the dark, maybe it works.

Regards

Torben
#3 - P1lot
The trick is to perform an action only when two controls are activated.
Is there a shift function in the profiler?
A paddle could be shift key, stick emulates a key press in shift mode.
Then the key press set in LFS for gear change.

Good luck
#4 - MrSam
Thanks guys. I'll have a fiddle with the profiler and see if I can make it work like this. I think changing gear like this will be easy even if I have to think about it, until I get into a racing situation, when it would be useful to have it programmed into my brain as automatic.
#6 - Bean0
You could probably script it in lfs.

Have your paddle bound as 'i' to stop/start the ignition.
Have your shifter scripted to change gear then press i.

If you get it wrong, you would shift and turn the engine off.

Sounds like it would work in theory, not so sure how it would work in practice
I'd rather have it so that pulling one OR the other does nothing, instead of having the ignition turn off!

In reality: If I ONLY pull the paddle, it cuts the ignition for as long as I hold it (I think, it might activate the cut for a fixed length of time regardless of if the lever is still pulled).
If I only pull on the gear lever, the gearbox loading will mean it doesn't come out of gear.

If I pull both, at the right moment, it changes gear. This way you can preload the gear lever and a quick tap of the paddle unload the dogs and allows the next gear to be selected.

I haven't driven it yet, and can't afford any testing whatsoever, so using a sim to get it into my brain seems like a good idea!
#8 - Bean0
Probably best using the FBM with it's weirdy gearbox then, just map your paddle to be a button clutch.

You can then preload the lever and press to change.
FBM...? How about ignition cut during change? just a thought. I mean its almost same as lift foot of thortle during change and its more healthy for clutch temperature
Ohok. Ages since I used the FBM so hadn't remembered the 'funny' gearbox. Will try tonight.
Quote from tristancliffe :Ohok. Ages since I used the FBM so hadn't remembered the 'funny' gearbox. Will try tonight.

Yeah, the "proper" way to shift in the FBM is to preload the gear, and then lift for a half-second to shift. Which sounds familiar to what you're doing, except with a paddle instead of lifting the throttle.
In the current car, the ignition cut switch is on the gear lever, so pulling the gear kills the ignition momentarily. You don't preload so much as grab and pull, so it's a subtly different technique. Still, quicker than a twitch of the foot. Mastering the subtlety must be worth a tenth of a second or so...
If you only want to map the paddle as clutch, just map it, no scripting or whatsoever.

If you want to do real ignition cut with the paddle, LFS scripting won't help (as far as I know). You would need a bit of programming so a DirectInput emulator can read the real throttle input but output zero instead when your paddle is pulled.

Is there any open source DirectInput emulator lying around?

Another easy what to do it is just wire your paddle to a hardware switch on the throttle line.
Quote from Keling :If you only want to map the paddle as clutch, just map it, no scripting or whatsoever.

If you want to do real ignition cut with the paddle, LFS scripting won't help (as far as I know). You would need a bit of programming so a DirectInput emulator can read the real throttle input but output zero instead when your paddle is pulled.

Is there any open source DirectInput emulator lying around?

Another easy what to do it is just wire your paddle to a hardware switch on the throttle line.

It might be possible with PPJOY - download top left - and a profile macro on your controller. Basically the ignition cut could be realised by taking the paddle inputs, and remapping them via a macro to the keyboard. It's a little convoluted, and I would need to look into it further.

I like what you're trying to do here Tristan.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG