The online racing simulator
Huge bug, potential to lose important files [FIXED in 0.6E]
Hi guys, recently I installed LFS, and without looking I accidentally just installed into program files(x86) without another sub folder. After seeing this I decided the easiest way to clean it up would be to just uninstall lfs and install in a new sub folder. So I ran the uninstaller... After noticing how long it was taking, I decided to check the details, and noticed it was uninstalling anything and everything in my program files(x86) folder...! Ended that process straight away but still lost quite a lot. Thought I'd let you guys know before someone else makes this mistake
This has been reported before. I am not sure it is a bug with lfs, but with all programs in existence.
#3 - amp88
Quote from Gougoodthing :This has been reported before.

See this thread. Pay particular attention to this post. Did you get the warning that you could be deleting your Program Files folder? You may still be able to recover deleted files (as mentioned in that thread).
Seems like Scawen implemented some kind of punishment for those who try to uninstall LFS, which is OK
Quote from DANIEL-CRO :Seems like Scawen implemented some kind of punishment for those who try to uninstall LFS, which is OK

#6 - Bean0
I think that it is a valid bug report and should be addressed.
Yes, it is stated during the uninstall process, but there is such a large risk of unwanted deletions that there should be an extra confirmation dialogue.

If people saw

'Are you sure you want to delete the contents of C:\Program Files (x86)\ (30,000 files, 35GB) ?'

Then they would probably take more notice.
The installer should, at least, create a folder inside the selected path, or have this option on by default.

Quote from Bean0 :...
'Are you sure you want to delete the contents of C:\Program Files (x86)\ (30,000 files, 35GB) ?'

I don't really know why, but I burst out laughing when I saw this line. :ices_rofl
I think it's installer related bug. It happened to me once before, when i was uninstalling some other program and it cleaned my desktop completely. Luckily i'm always installing temporary programs only to desktop.
** Best answer **
Thank you, and sorry about the trouble it caused.

This is fixed in 0.6E - the installer is very reluctant to install into dangerous places.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG