The online racing simulator
Restart Alarm
This may sound quite stupid but, for me at least, it would be quite useful.

Basically, I would like a program that sees when the restart countdown is starting (the 3, 2, 1) and play a sound when this happens. I'd like it because I usually go and do something else between races. I don't ever miss the start of races but I guess it would be a more efficient use of my time...

Possible?
I need it too . I could whip something up if there is a restart packet .
Quote from Mp3 Astra :This may sound quite stupid but, for me at least, it would be quite useful.

Basically, I would like a program that sees when the restart countdown is starting (the 3, 2, 1) and play a sound when this happens. I'd like it because I usually go and do something else between races. I don't ever miss the start of races but I guess it would be a more efficient use of my time...

Possible?

It's not possible with outsim or outgauge, and via insim it's only possible if you can setup an insim for a certain server in which you'll be running and you run the insim from your machine, because an insim application can't play sounds -or execute any command external to LFS- in any other computer that the one that's running it. I can't think of other ways to do that.
You can connect InSim to your local LFS client, it doesn't have to be connected to a host. It would be pretty easy to listen for a race start packet and then play a sound when it's received.

Here is an example, this Python script plays a Windows sound when a race is started.

import pyinsim
import winsound

def raceStarting(insim, rst):
winsound.PlaySound('SystemExclamation', winsound.SND_ALIAS)

insim = pyinsim.insimConnect('localhost', 29999, Admin='pass')
insim.bind(pyinsim.ISP_RST, raceStarting)
insim.run()

Quote from DarkTimes :You can connect InSim to your local LFS client, it doesn't have to be connected to a host. It would be pretty easy to listen for a race start packet and then play a sound when it's received.

What packets do you get if you do that? I mean, I guess you wouldn't receive all packets but just those that are sent explicitly from the host to your client. Like you won't get MSI packets, or MTC packets that are sent to other connections. Is this right?

I didn't know you could do that. In that case then hell yeah it's easy XDDD
You get all receiving packets in all modes. It makes no difference if it's multiplayer, singleplayer or when watching replays. Of course you cannot send messages to other players and stuff, but otherwise InSim works identically.
Thanks for the discussion, guys.

Silverarrows77 has sent me an application that works in exactly the way I described; they will release it to the public sometime soon, I expect.

Thanks again!
You can put in unoficial addons section, because this is great tool thanks
Quote from SilverArrows77 :is a couple of things i want to add to it first when i have time then i might put it there - like user defining what sounds are on or off, and also adding an option to play a sound alert when certain text is typed...by allowing a short piece of text to be entered on the interface, then playing a sound if this text is detected (eg: i could enter "silver" as thats what most people call me, then it would play a sound alert if this is detected - might be handy if AFK etc)

Anyway is just a bit of fun and learning for me, who knows if ill be bothered to add to it at all lol, but thanks for the approval

That's also a very cool idea. Kind of like an IRC highlight.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG