- LFS Manual
- LFS Merchandise
  http://www.simracingsociety.com/

Go Back   Live for Speed > Files > Unofficial Addons

Old 5th April 2009, 03:30   #31  -   
Rebeldevil
S2 licensed

Rebeldevil's online stats
Hmm, a slushbox hunting for gears. He must have simulated a Ford automatic.

Auto 'boxes in racing games have always been the same thing--Manual, done for you. This looks to replicate a real automatic, which looks like it's pretty comprehensive. At least as good as it can be without tearing the code apart.

Most automatics that have a "sport" feature are generally calibrated so that they shift later, and also they'll hold whatever gear you're in at the time if they sense the vehicle in a corner. You might be able to implement this in some way--a macro in-game, and have your app read the lateral G readouts and steering angle from the game when the trans is in Sport mode.

Of course, I'm of the "Go all the way or forget it" school of thought. I really think a torque-converter auto box should be part of the next release. If I were doing it, only the road cars (including the stripped-out GTR-class) could have them, and when equipped the car would have all the associated penalties of an automatic--like increased fuel consumption and increased weight. You'd also run the risk of breaking it if you try a neutral-drop. (Then again I think transmission failure should be a part of LFS anyway)
Old 5th April 2009, 04:09   #32  -   
tigerboyz
S2 licensed

tigerboyz's online stats
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebeldevil View Post
Of course, I'm of the "Go all the way or forget it" school of thought. I really think a torque-converter auto box should be part of the next release. If I were doing it, only the road cars (including the stripped-out GTR-class) could have them, and when equipped the car would have all the associated penalties of an automatic--like increased fuel consumption and increased weight. You'd also run the risk of breaking it if you try a neutral-drop. (Then again I think transmission failure should be a part of LFS anyway)
There is no way possible that I know of to make or simulate a torque converter. Actually there is one way, but your clutch would be burned so fast that you probably wouldn't make it past turn 2. Unless clutch damage/heat can be turned off and I can directly edit the clutch axis value, all I can do is have the script press s and x at the right times.

The read g-forces in turns to stop shifting during turns is possible as long as outgauge can output the info, but it would mean the outgauge window my script reads from has to be modified to include the g-forces in an edit box. I'm not sure I have the tool anymore for it, but I'm pretty sure I have the source.

Do you have suggestions for detecting if you're in dirt or off road? Offroad is disaster at the moment for this, and I'm trying to think of workarounds when you don't have a torque converter (other than flooring the gas and hitting the rev limit the whole time).
Old 5th April 2009, 09:38   #33  -   
skolekaj
S2 licensed

Racername: IM AN ROBOT!!!!
skolekaj's online stats
Question eco gear??

could i post an request?

if so i would love an eco(nomical) shifting cfg.ini? thingy so it changes gear more eco minded. i think its a great prog... so if anyone would it i would love it.
Old 5th April 2009, 10:09   #34  -   
tigerboyz
S2 licensed

tigerboyz's online stats
Quote:
Originally Posted by skolekaj View Post
could i post an request?

if so i would love an eco(nomical) shifting cfg.ini? thingy so it changes gear more eco minded. i think its a great prog... so if anyone would it i would love it.
Do you mean shifting at lower RPM like 2k-4k? It should already be economical like that as long as you're economical with the gas pedal. Are you maybe a keyboard or mouse user and don't have analog throttle?
Old 5th April 2009, 13:03   #35  -   
skolekaj
S2 licensed

skolekaj's online stats
i use g25 and drive economical but i think iy shifts to high 2 to 3 k t very low throttle is just too much but i like prog. anyways
Old 5th April 2009, 20:32   #36  -   
tigerboyz
S2 licensed

tigerboyz's online stats
In my experience, accelerating at really low RPM like 2k and below usually doesn't work very well because of autoclutch activating and burning itself. You're still welcome to give it a try; these lines in the config ini determine which RPM it shifts up.

Code:
[RPM CONFIG]
NextGearRPMSensitivity=3200
NextGearRPMSensitivity2=4200
NextGearRPMSensitivity3=5200
And these lines below will determine how much throttle it must be under to shift up.
Code:
[THROTTLE CONFIG]
NextGearSensitivity=50
NextGearSensitivity2=78
NextGearSensitivity3=95
So for example, the first shift is under 50% throttle and under 3200 RPM.

If it kicks down after shifting up, make these below lines higher, but never above 99. The Low one is the small throttle kickdown, the High one is usually when you "floor it."
Code:
[THROTTLE CONFIG]
FlooredGearSensitivityLow=60
FlooredGearSensitivityHigh=96
Old 5th April 2009, 20:41   #37  -   
skolekaj
S2 licensed

skolekaj's online stats
ok ill try tomorrow
Old 6th April 2009, 23:12   #38  -   
Nick.
S2 licensed

Racername: Nick.
Nick.'s online stats
How can I get the debug up? I read the readme but it doesn't make sense to me. Where do I put the /gui or whatever?
Old 6th April 2009, 23:38   #39  -   
Hotrodx199
S2 licensed

Hotrodx199's online stats
Is there torque converter lock up and unlock?

This is what i mean, watch what the torque converter does while driving and when letting off the gas. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tz2dFVQUgMk

Last edited by Hotrodx199; 7th April 2009 at 22:54.
Old 7th April 2009, 13:51   #40  -   
GuLLiT
S2 licensed

GuLLiT's online stats
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotrodx199 View Post
Is there torque converter lock up and unlock?

This is what i mean, which what the torque converter does while driving and when letting off the gas. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tz2dFVQUgMk
Well .. you mean the clutch system certain torque converters have? We have that!

No, to be honest, we don't have a torque converter, since LFS doesn't have one. You could keep your clutch a bit pressed, but it would of course just burn it away very quick, leaving you with only torque .
Old 7th April 2009, 22:55   #41  -   
Hotrodx199
S2 licensed

Hotrodx199's online stats
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuLLiT View Post
Well .. you mean the clutch system certain torque converters have? We have that!

No, to be honest, we don't have a torque converter, since LFS doesn't have one. You could keep your clutch a bit pressed, but it would of course just burn it away very quick, leaving you with only torque .
I tried that, clutch went out in under 30 seconds
Old 8th April 2009, 16:54   #42  -   
GuLLiT
S2 licensed

GuLLiT's online stats
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick. View Post
How can I get the debug up? I read the readme but it doesn't make sense to me. Where do I put the /gui or whatever?
I'm sorry, I missed this.

There you go. The easiest way is to make the shortcut, if you like the less easy way you could enter it in the runbox (start-run or [win]+[r]).
Old 9th April 2009, 22:15   #43  -   
Nick.
S2 licensed

Racername: Nick.
Nick.'s online stats
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuLLiT View Post
I'm sorry, I missed this.

There you go. The easiest way is to make the shortcut, if you like the less easy way you could enter it in the runbox (start-run or [win]+[r]).
Thanks man
Old 11th April 2009, 09:49   #44  -   
tigerboyz
S2 licensed

tigerboyz's online stats
New version V5 released. See first post.

Some new features:
- Economical, Sport, and Hold Gear modes
- Dynamic kickdown (can kick down more than 1 gear)
- Pause during multiplayer chatting
- Live configuration GUI
Old 11th April 2009, 11:19   #45  -   
hiroshima guy
Demo Racer

Racername: NGBRO
hiroshima guy's online stats
Wooh could be a good use with my Tweak in S2Z And no, I don't crack. I use the one which has no LP and no, I'm not going to tell any demo-ers where to get it since it's rule-breaker. :P

P.S. I'm simulating a bus with the XRG so this will make the changing of gear of the auto-box will be more realistic.
Old 11th April 2009, 12:48   #46  -   
Velocity-
S2 licensed

Velocity-'s online stats
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiroshima guy View Post
Wooh could be a good use with my Tweak in S2Z And no, I don't crack. I use the one which has no LP and no, I'm not going to tell any demo-ers where to get it since it's rule-breaker. :P

P.S. I'm simulating a bus with the XRG so this will make the changing of gear of the auto-box will be more realistic.
Try simulating SBS's new scania buses man....
I think it is a 9 litre diesel with 6gears
Old 11th April 2009, 12:56   #47  -   
jegorchangai
S2 licensed

jegorchangai's online stats
Great little program, and btw Diesel isnt simulated in LFS.
Old 11th April 2009, 13:04   #48  -   
Velocity-
S2 licensed

Velocity-'s online stats
Quote:
Originally Posted by jegorchangai View Post
Great little program, and btw Diesel isnt simulated in LFS.

I know, just use tweak and create a 3k redline and mountains of torque
Old 11th April 2009, 13:14   #49  -   
shaun463
S2 licensed

Racername: [PCW] Shaun
shaun463's online stats
Great for when I am cruising (which is not much of the time). Made my HL 3 seconds slower though .
Storm Gaming - [SG]ShaunskiDFP | Pixel Car World V5!
Old 11th April 2009, 13:47   #50  -   
G!NhO
S2 licensed

Racername: Giengio
G!NhO's online stats
strange because it doesnt really work good for me, when i change to sport mode it doesnt make a sound, and it constantly changes gear between 2nd and 3rd.
Old 11th April 2009, 14:30   #51  -   
Raaseri
S2 licensed

Raaseri's online stats
That new version works very well. I tried it with XRT FXO and FZ5. Kick down chooses gear better now and I dont have anything to complain.
Old 11th April 2009, 16:30   #52  -   
hiroshima guy
Demo Racer

Racername: NGBRO
hiroshima guy's online stats
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity- View Post
Try simulating SBS's new scania buses man....
I think it is a 9 litre diesel with 6gears
Yeah I already took it on 410 for like more than half a year already!
And it's called Scania K230UB with Gemilang Bodywork.

It's got a li'l more than 8 litres with 5 cyl and a turbo, plus a ZF 6HP592 box

And bus engines can't run to 3000 rpm lol... Max is only 2250rpm on the O405 if I rmb. The new Scania shifts at 1350rpm if I rmb what I've noticed correctly. And this li'l program and make it more realistic when I try to recreate it, as the box will overrev sometimes when the driver kick-down real hard lol.

FYI, I'm recreating the O405 with W3E box in LFS up till now. The K230UB will have to wait until I can figure out more things.

P.S. Apologies for the off-topic talk, can't help it!

Last edited by hiroshima guy; 11th April 2009 at 16:36.
Old 11th April 2009, 16:33   #53  -   
G!NhO
S2 licensed

Racername: Giengio
G!NhO's online stats
oh it works
Old 11th April 2009, 21:37   #54  -   
superxp
S2 licensed

Racername: BPM - Adri'
superxp's online stats
Hi,

Your automatic transmission is very nice !

But there is a problem when shifting : the clutch burning when upshift.
In your video, i can't see that.
Maybe you use LFS Tweak and sequential gearbox ?..
Old 12th April 2009, 00:10   #55  -   
-=SB=-
S2 licensed

-=SB=-'s online stats
Ok i have set it all up and i press pause break to turn it on. but it doesnt work. all the settings are right. i have put everything where it should?

Last edited by -=SB=-; 12th April 2009 at 00:18.
Old 12th April 2009, 02:10   #56  -   
tigerboyz
S2 licensed

tigerboyz's online stats
Quote:
Ok i have set it all up and i press pause break to turn it on. but it doesnt work. all the settings are right. i have put everything where it should?
It's not working because you're not supposed to pause it. It's turned on by default, and pressing pause turns it off.

Quote:
strange because it doesnt really work good for me, when i change to sport mode it doesnt make a sound, and it constantly changes gear between 2nd and 3rd.
It sounds like your gear ratios are too wide. Check how the gear ratios are in the included AT setups - something like that should be good. If you don't want to change your gear ratios, you can configure the shifter to shift at different RPMs. The readme has details on what does what. By the way, not hearing a sound when pushing Sport Mode is normal. The sound is only played for Hold Gear mode.

Quote:
That new version works very well. I tried it with XRT FXO and FZ5. Kick down chooses gear better now and I dont have anything to complain.
Good to hear.

Quote:
Hi,

Your automatic transmission is very nice !

But there is a problem when shifting : the clutch burning when upshift.
In your video, i can't see that.
Maybe you use LFS Tweak and sequential gearbox ?..
Is it possible your ignition isn't being cut? The shifter presses i during shifts to cut engine off for less clutch burn. It might be your ignition key isn't set to i in the controls. I forgot to include about that in the readme (oops).
Old 12th April 2009, 04:47   #57  -   
Zoig
Demo Racer

Zoig's online stats
Hi,

Could you upgrade the system so, that i could change the up/down (and possibly ignition) keys? I am used to changing gears with mouse scroll, and that way I could use it as a tiptronic gearbox and flick a few gears down before flooring it.

I had a try with it in few Cruise servers today, and it really works. now i can easily cruise along with 5th gear and 2500rpm in automatic mode, rather than 2nd gear and 5000 rpm

Minor bug I found with UF1000 is, that when cruising with 4th gear(or 3rd for that matter) and holding low rpm with steady speed, the engine revs were kind of wavy. like the engine was to weak to hold steady speed and game needed to accelerate-coast frequently to hold speed. This did not happen with high powered cars like RB4. I have not tried it with conventional manual, so it might be general bug and not directly related to your mod.

ps: you mod really reminded me how much I hate automatic gearboxes and why I bought manual. Great work
Old 12th April 2009, 05:17   #58  -   
tigerboyz
S2 licensed

tigerboyz's online stats
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoig View Post
Hi,

Could you upgrade the system so, that i could change the up/down (and possibly ignition) keys? I am used to changing gears with mouse scroll, and that way I could use it as a tiptronic gearbox and flick a few gears down before flooring it.

I had a try with it in few Cruise servers today, and it really works. now i can easily cruise along with 5th gear and 2500rpm in automatic mode, rather than 2nd gear and 5000 rpm

Minor bug I found with UF1000 is, that when cruising with 4th gear(or 3rd for that matter) and holding low rpm with steady speed, the engine revs were kind of wavy. like the engine was to weak to hold steady speed and game needed to accelerate-coast frequently to hold speed. This did not happen with high powered cars like RB4. I have not tried it with conventional manual, so it might be general bug and not directly related to your mod.

ps: you mod really reminded me how much I hate automatic gearboxes and why I bought manual. Great work
Shifting it down yourself like that won't work - it will shift right back up within a split second because it senses the high RPM. This wasn't made with any type of manual shifting in mind other than going into neutral, reverse, and "drive". Are you having a problem with it kicking down by itself?

The UF1 bug you found sounds like you didn't have CarGears set properly in the config (set it to 3 if your gear ratios use 3 gears). Was it the same sound you would hear when turning ignition off and on? You also might've been hearing the aliasing effect from heavy sound clipping (shift+a sounds set too loud).
Old 12th April 2009, 06:37   #59  -   
shaun463
S2 licensed

Racername: [PCW] Shaun
shaun463's online stats
It is very fun in a FZ5 .
Storm Gaming - [SG]ShaunskiDFP | Pixel Car World V5!
Old 12th April 2009, 13:32   #60  -   
Zoig
Demo Racer

Zoig's online stats
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerboyz View Post
Shifting it down yourself like that won't work - it will shift right back up within a split second because it senses the high RPM. This wasn't made with any type of manual shifting in mind other than going into neutral, reverse, and "drive". Are you having a problem with it kicking down by itself?

The UF1 bug you found sounds like you didn't have CarGears set properly in the config (set it to 3 if your gear ratios use 3 gears). Was it the same sound you would hear when turning ignition off and on? You also might've been hearing the aliasing effect from heavy sound clipping (shift+a sounds set too loud).
The problem is not with changing down by itself, but rather not doing it when needed(that's actually a generic fault with all automatics, not only your simulator). Is it possible ot implement somekind of tiptronic functionality into the sport mode, similiar to the sport mode in current VW DSG boxes?
For example when cruising in Sport mode, the box would behave similar to economic mode(mabye changing gears faster and 500rpm higher), but when flooring it (kickdown) and then returning to cruising, the car would hold lowest possible gear in for 10-15 seconds before returning to normal drive. also in sport mode, when I change gears manually, it would activate sport mode for 10-15 seconds, before changing it(except redline/idle rpm, where the box has to change gear)

The problem was in Car Gears with UF1. Because I didn't change it from 5 to 4 when I changed cars, so it was only noticeable in UF1. The sound was more like trying to floor the throttle in low rpm/high gear and then releasing it again without changing gear. that's why it got me confused.

Live for Speed > Files > Unofficial Addons

Tags
automatic, shift, transmission

• Submit Thread to Digg
  • Submit Thread to del.icio.us
  • Submit Thread to StumbleUpon
  • Submit Thread to Google