The online racing simulator
RACE_S races...
(26 posts, started )
RACE_S races...
Hi all

Some of you might have noticed that there are - again - some debates going on about whether it'd be good or a pain in your derriere to have fixed setups.

I think we should give it a shot.

As we have no control about the setups used, it'd be all based on trust.

I think we could do a couple of shorter races with the road cars, all using RACE_S setups. Maybe start out with the UF1 (it's already getting rusty).

One thing: I have no server but in case we don't find a better alternative I could nevertheless host the races for an hour or two... I guess.

Maybe tomorrow, Feb 8, 13:00 CET?
People would and cheat, and there's no way of enforcing setups. :o
Random spot checks of setups would deter people I think...
There is an easy way to prevent cheating:

No one is allowed to pit after race, and everyone has to send the setup to an admin of the server. Than it would be easy to spot a cheater
what actually should prevent everybody from cheating is the fact that you earn NOTHING by doing so. yes, you might win the race. but it's only a number displayed at the end.

YEEEEEAAAAAHHH, I WONNNNNN with my tweaked setup and all the others are LOS3RZ and N00BZ...

I mean... gimme a break
Look for places with like minded racers, it can work there.
I think that random encounters on pickup racing servers are unlikely to provide what you are looking for, that is a bunch of people that you can trust.
Good luck!
#7 - Byku
Great idea . I would gladly participate in it but... a little later please . >15 GMT.
Completely agree with Mille Sabords

We have paired races at our server every sunday where everybody uses Race_S. There's no real way of checking as far as I know, so it's all based on trust and goodwill of the drivers. Fortunately we seem to only get the serious and honest drivers on our server so we've never had any problems

Nice idea but you need the right people to make it work.
@obsolum: or I just join you on sunday... paired means 1 vs. 1?
Quote from Bandit77 :@obsolum: or I just join you on sunday... paired means 1 vs. 1?

No it means drivers get paired up, so you've got teams of 2. Each driver of a team drives half the race distance, then pits so the other can take over and finish the race. Can be lots of fun if there's enough people on.

Keep in mind, though, that our server has fcv on. I know that's a turn off for some people. Yes, zeugnimod, I'm looking at you
Quote from obsolum :
Keep in mind, though, that our server has fcv on. I know that's a turn off for some people.

ha. I had to ponder about 3 seconds before I realized what fcv means. That's really sad... I usually drive from the backseat . nah, of course not.

which server is it, by the way?
Quote from obsolum :Keep in mind, though, that our server has fcv on. I know that's a turn off for some people. Yes, zeugnimod, I'm looking at you

:ouch:
Your welcome to try it on one of our servers. Zeug can organise it
Would it be possible to create an insim or something that only allows a certian setup at the server?? I know that the lfslapper insim will auto spectates cars that do not have the correct intake restriction or weight handycap set correctly, so the data for detecting setup values using insim must be there somewhere, its a case of finding a way to utilise the bits that are needed to do this i guess.
Well if you wanted to run a race tomorrow, I can admin, and will request that all racers send me their set at the end of the race. If they don't have race_s they lose and get banned
I do like this idea very much, as it then comes down to driver skill alone.

Maybe an S (standard) class kind of thing using the 'default' setup event could be ran as well, so it is literally like road cars going racing, totally standard.
Quote from danthebangerboy :Would it be possible to create an insim or something that only allows a certian setup at the server??

Restrictions that go beyond air-intake and weight are said to be impossible to make.

Quote from jasonmatthews :Well if you wanted to run a race tomorrow, I can admin, and will request that all racers send me their set at the end of the race. If they don't have race_s they lose and get banned

That'd be awesome! Fire up the server and give us the details here.
Maybe even password-protect it and post the password here. Might prevent the ones that do not know what it's all about from joining.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :People would and cheat, and there's no way of enforcing setups. :o

You can let everybody send his setup, check them afterwards, and disqualify everybody that pits.
Ok guys, I have setup a server for you. It is called [SR]GTWERX.net. Copy this link into your browser to join - lfs://|%5BSR%5DGTWERX.net|0|S2/

Or goto our homepage and click the server name on the right.

I have enabled all cars and you can change the tracks yourself. Let me know when you decide upon a combo you want to race with and I will set it as that.

The password is - racesetups
anyone joining right now?
Yup few of us on there now... FZ5 at FE Gold R - fun!
Yea that was fun. Hope to race with you guys again
I had some fun races too, thanks.

To me it proved that the fast guys are still fast but also showed that using a fixed set made it harder for the less experienced guys.
Where the experienced guys could drive within the limitations of the fixed set, the less experienced were struggling.
Using a fixed set IMO will not lead to better races for inexperienced guys...more frustration that the car is hard to handle.
Quote from Anthoop :I had some fun races too, thanks.

To me it proved that the fast guys are still fast but also showed that using a fixed set made it harder for the less experienced guys.
Where the experienced guys could drive within the limitations of the fixed set, the less experienced were struggling.
Using a fixed set IMO will not lead to better races for inexperienced guys...more frustration that the car is hard to handle.

Interesting findings mate. Not what I expected. In the time I had doing Race_S races, I didn't see any surprises either. Good drivers were still good and winning
hmmm... actually I thought it depended a lot on the car if you were worse or better in relation to the others than with "custom setups".

For example I had a very hard time with the LX4 at south city - the RACE_S has just too hard a suspension. I remember some of the fast guys saying that it actually isn't too bad at all (except for the stiffness) - whereas for me it feels totally unpredictable.

The UF1 on the other hand was nowhere near perfect but quite ok with me (feeling real and predictable) and I could keep up a bit better.

The FZ5... ... oh my god, I hardly ever drive this fat piece of german steel so I can't really say anything about it. It's just like IRL: I don't like cars that way a lot more than 1 ton.

I hope you SR guys keep this server open for while - I really believe it has its very own charm.

Thanks for hosting & hope to see you guys again soon.

RACE_S races...
(26 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG