Live for Speed - LFS Main Site
- LFS World
- LFS News
- LFS Manual
- LFS Merchandise
  http://www.australasianleague.com/

Go Back   Live for Speed > Other > Hardware > Wheels and controllers

View Poll Results: Make this into a sticky?
Yes 70 58.33%
No 50 41.67%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Old 17th February 2008, 05:32   #1  -   
atlantian
No longer welcome

Racername: GodHandXBCDSTI
Xbox360 Controller guide

Hi, fellow LFS drivers out there, it seems that the XBox 360 Controller is fairly popular among the racers out there who can not afford a [good] wheel!

I have searched around this forum about the controller, and finally pieced together a solution, i just want the next newb that comes around to have an easier time with this game pad...

so i am going to make a thread to sum it all up!

now first of all, by reading this thread you probably realize by now, the original microsoft driver is utter, complete, rubbish! time to get you a new driver!

but to start, you have to have the microsoft driver installed

when your finished, follow this link and download the XBCD 1.07 software:
http://www.redcl0ud.com/files/XBCDv107.exe

after you downloaded it, go ahead and run the exe

Then download this packet to patch in some missing files so your computer recognizes the driver!
http://matt-land.com/xbcd/

unzip that packet then run install.bat

go to the start menu and right click on my computer

go to properties

go to hardware tab

go to device manager

expand "XBOX 360 Peripherals"

right click "xbox 360 controller for windows"

click update driver

select "install from a list or a specific location"

select "don't search, i will choose the driver to install"

select"XBOX 360 GAME PAD" and then click next

when a popup ask about driver certificates, ignore it and click "continue anyways"

restart your computer and you are good!

now, open setup utility in "all programs/XBCD"
[/COLOR]

now in the setup utility...
For separate triggers on the XBox360 Controller:

LT- slider(-)
RT- RZ (-)

For the analog sticks:
Left analog stick: set deadzone to 18, because anything larger would make your analog stick bi-polar!
Right analog stick: no deadzone, and have the 2 axises be on one axis
so that up=right, down= left; you will see why in a sec

set rumble to 80, i find anything harder will make you loose blood to ur hands
and get blood accumulation somewhere else *wink**wink*
now, to have this properly saved, just click "apply" THEN save... or else you would not have saved your settings
now that you have the controller configured...
go into the game and you can set the control scheme!
here is a setup that i find very effective!
RT-throttle
LT-brake
X- horn
A- ebrake
B- personal message
Y- personal message
start- ignition
select- Car Reset
left analog stick(side to side)- steering
right analog stick- clutch
back- look back
left- look left
right- look right
up- a personal message synonymous with "get the hell out of my way, n00b!"
left shoulder- shift down
right shoulder- shift up

this way, when you have to pull ebrake or ignite car... you can reach the button while you have the clutch depressed! and note: you have to pull the clutch back to disengage the clutch!

i stole the setup from Forza and modified it to accommodate a clutch and have the shifters be aligned on the controller like a paddle shifter

the benefits of using this control scheme is that you get to have all four essential controls(steering, clutch, brake, and throttle) on a car to be analog on the controller.

note: there are several reasons why i didn't chose to have an analog control.
a) if i where to include it as an analog control, the only place i can place it is the horizontal axis of the left analog stick, but that would disturb steering, since you have to have the stick at the absolute top or bottom to disengage it
b) the technique of slowing down the rear wheels[to regrip] when you are slipping is so advanced that your brain wouldn't be able to handle so much data output on top of using 6 digits to control a WHOLE CAR... so it's useless anyways.

Hope this helps you, and good luck with driving with your fingers!

ps: please sticky!

Wireless Controller Guide Section, comming soon

i now have the xgi file for the xbcd uploaded, so if your lazy, you can now just download that and rename it .xgi and boot it up in XBCD
Attached Files
File Type: txt xbox360-lfs.txt (269 Bytes, 1774 views)

Last edited by atlantian; 23rd February 2008 at 05:09.
Old 22nd February 2008, 18:51   #2  -   
joebob4441
S2 licensed

Racername: Killa
joebob4441's online stats
Ps3

I know there is a way to set up a PS3 controller for LFS but i don't no how. can anyone tell me?
Old 22nd February 2008, 19:00   #3  -   
Nathan_French_14
S2 licensed

Racername: Moo.Frenchy
Nathan_French_14's online stats
Nice guide!

I have a 360 elite, which comes with a wireless controller.

Is there anyway i can use that on my pc? I use a G25 but im just curious how a LFS would feel on controller. To connect it, would i need to use the charger and then plug into a USB port?
Old 22nd February 2008, 19:02   #4  -   
dawesdust_12
S2 licensed

Racername: UKCT..Dustin
dawesdust_12's online stats
I'm sure that if people checked the LFS wiki, that my little guide would work the same. Especially because it bares a very bad similarity to my own, although mine is shorter, because it doesn't require the patch to the XBCD drivers. The only thing that mines missing is a deadzone, becuase that's pretty user specific.

Old 22nd February 2008, 20:05   #5  -   
atlantian
No longer welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan_French_14 View Post
Nice guide!

Is there anyway i can use that on my pc? I use a G25 but im just curious how a LFS would feel on controller. To connect it, would i need to use the charger and then plug into a USB port?
thank you!

and if other people own the wireless version and the sixaxis, please post the guide on this thread!

and @ dawesdust, i thought that the no-deadzone MS driver was twitchy, couldn't drive... and i hate the "drive by wire" i get with the original driver, and i just want to help people out, since there are many people that play LFS with an XB360 Controller
Old 22nd February 2008, 20:06   #6  -   
XCNuse

Racername: XCNuse
XCNuse's online stats
Quote:
Nice guide!

No, the charger doesn't have any input functions, it's just allows an AC current.
You need to buy the dongle, it's cheap, $20 I believe I got mine for at Walmart.

As for the scheme, that wouldn't work out good if you plan on racing with a manual gearbox, thus I have mine set (well besides completely different), but A as shift down, and B as shift up
I guess it depends on how you hold it, apparently some people hold it with two fingers on the top, it gets to cramped up there for me so I can't do that.. but whatever floats your boat, I need to check out that XBCD thing though.

Old 22nd February 2008, 20:08   #7  -   
atlantian
No longer welcome

^lol, i guess i just have "piano fingers"!
Old 22nd February 2008, 20:32   #8  -   
Nathan_French_14
S2 licensed

Racername: Moo.Frenchy
Nathan_French_14's online stats
Quote:
Originally Posted by XCNuse View Post
No, the charger doesn't have any input functions, it's just allows an AC current.
You need to buy the dongle, it's cheap, $20 I believe I got mine for at Walmart.
Hmm. Well i was keeping my hopes low, as i did'nt think it would work anyway but it was worth an ask i suspose .

I will have to look into getting a "dongle". I would just like to try LFS with a joypad, it would be interesting. But also, it would be good with other games like GTA:SA. I hate using keyboard...
Old 22nd February 2008, 21:06   #9  -   
dawesdust_12
S2 licensed

Racername: UKCT..Dustin
dawesdust_12's online stats
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantian View Post
thank you!

and if other people own the wireless version and the sixaxis, please post the guide on this thread!

and @ dawesdust, i thought that the no-deadzone MS driver was twitchy, couldn't drive... and i hate the "drive by wire" i get with the original driver, and i just want to help people out, since there are many people that play LFS with an XB360 Controller
Mine wasn't the MS one, mine was the XBCD driver also, I wasn't implying that you copied, I just was saying that maybe you might want to merge (MERGE! NOT OVERWRITE) your guide with mine.

Old 22nd February 2008, 22:28   #10  -   
atlantian
No longer welcome

lol, that would be cool, though... we can start a new thread that is "The Official Controller Guide" and we can discuss the guides here, and there will be nothing but guides on the offical thread.(no comments)

we can get guides for g25's, dfp's, XB360 con's(both wired and otherwise), six axis's...ect...
Old 23rd February 2008, 05:10   #11  -   
atlantian
No longer welcome

hi everbody, updated! i now have attached an xgi profile file, just rename it .xgi and you can load it up in XBCD
Old 2nd March 2008, 05:39   #12  -   
l3aDb0y
S2 licensed

Racername: Kaido
l3aDb0y's online stats
Nice guide . Since the steering springs back to the center instantly, I have found a way to steer smoothly . If you download the program called "Xpadder", you can set the analog stick to act as a mouse, with that, under the the axis menu in lfs, change the steering axis to mouse x. You will then be able to steer smoothly like using a mouse, but still have throttle/brake control.

To do this i set the deadzone in xbcd utility to 0, and adjusted the deadzone within Xpadder.

Before I did this, I was using xpadder to use the gamepad as a keyboard, and was able to use keyboard stabilized in LFS with my gamepad, it also allowed smooth steering as it worked exactly like a keyboard, so I didnt have throttle or brake control.

Those are just a few ways you can steer smoothly with your gamepad, currently I am trying to learn how to drive with the mouse settings, but mouse steering is a bit hard for me , spin alot =/. I really like using Keyboard Stabilized on gamepad, but I need to find a way to use it and still have pressure sensitive triggers.
Old 8th March 2008, 11:15   #13  -   
Snapper_Organ
S2 licensed

Snapper_Organ's online stats
Hi Folks
I can't get this to work! Every time I plug the controller in it just shows up as the default MS controller, and not the XBCD one.

I'm a bit confused by the guide though. It says:

"but to start, you have to have the microsoft driver installed"

but the first thing the XBCD installer says is:

"if the installation is not an upgrade, you will need to uninstall the controller in Device Manager"

So do I have to have the MS driver installed or not?

I've uninstalled the controller in device manager and restarted my computer. But the first thing that happens is that windows recognizes the pad and installs the default drivers for it again. When I try and update the driver in device manager the only entry is the old MS driver.

It's driving me nuts! What am I doing wrong?
Old 10th March 2008, 23:52   #14  -   
HOODS BOY
S2 licensed

HOODS BOY's online stats
help!!!
i have installed all the stuff needed but when i open the setup utility on the xbcd i cant change nothin cause when i go to 'device' it doesnt detect anything but my controller is definatly connected!!!
help plz
Old 17th March 2008, 13:24   #15  -   
Snapper_Organ
S2 licensed

Snapper_Organ's online stats
Do you have an official 360 controller or a third party one (eg. MadCatz)?

I've got a MadCatz 360 Pro. I had the same problem as you but I managed to fix it by adding a line to the .inf file included in the download at http://matt-land.com/xbcd/

Basically you have to go into Device Manager and find your 360 controller entry. Then right click and go to properties. Go to Details. Select 'Compatible IDs' from the drop down list, and select the third entry down or the one that looks most similar to the ones in the .inf file. Mine was:

USB\Class_ff&SubClass_5d

Now ctrl+c to copy that text. Open up the xbcd .inf and add a new line. My entry looks like this:

Code:
%XBCD.DeviceDesc%    =Install, USB\Class_ff&SubClass_5d    ; MyMadCatzPad
Then save & close. Run the Install.bat in the same directory and then update your controller drivers in the device manager as detailed above. Worked for me!

Good luck!
Old 21st June 2008, 12:57   #16  -   
akheirax
S2 licensed

akheirax's online stats
Hi guys.

I have the Xbox360 wireless controller. Will this guide work?
Old 1st July 2008, 23:28   #17  -   
Dajmin
S2 licensed

Racername: Dajmin
Dajmin's online stats
Really nice guide. I was having a bit of an issue setting up my new 360 pad (wired so I don't confuse the 360) and this got it working a treat. I voted +1 for a sticky, and I don't care how old the thread might be or how banned the OP was, it works. If I repost it, would it get a sticky then?

The website for XBCD says it won't work with wireless controllers BTW, but I don't know if there's been any new versions since the last website update.
Old 2nd July 2008, 11:21   #18  -   
desynch
S2 licensed

Racername: desynch
desynch's online stats
i used to use a 360 controller back in the day, and since my wheel is broken (and have yet again gotten back into playing lfs) this guide has helped out a lot. the issue i was having before was getting the throttle and brake on two seperate axis' (sp?), and this worked perfectly.

only one question tho. does anyone know how to change the sensitivity of the steering with the 360 controller? i can't seen to figure out for the life of me how to find a way to turn it down a tad. (tad being a frigging lot =/)
Old 2nd July 2008, 11:50   #19  -   
Dajmin
S2 licensed

Racername: Dajmin
Dajmin's online stats
It never gets totally smooth (which is a shame), but I've got mine bearable. Here's how:

Firstly, set up the LT deadzone as above. 15-20 seems to be okay. Too little and tiny pad vibrations will steer you all over the place. If you make it so high that only big movements are noticed, the car will react like you're using a digital control.

Secondly, make sure you set the wheel rotation in LFS to 90 degrees. It's still technically too much for a pad, but it's as low as the bar goes. It'd be nice if it went down as far as 60 or even 45 to make it friendly for those of us stuck with pads, but LFS isn't really designed for us.

Unfortunately it makes driving some of the OWs a little hard (read: nigh-on impossible) because the smallest movements we can make is still like a quarter turn on the wheel, but I think it's as good as we can expect. And most of the tin tops can still be driven.
I did a bit of testing last night and found that I can just about match my previous PBs in the tin tops, but some of the lighter/faster cars are really twitchy.
Old 2nd July 2008, 20:15   #20  -   
desynch
S2 licensed

Racername: desynch
desynch's online stats
yeah, that's about how i have mine set up. it's a shame that there isn't a way to edit a config file to set a custom wheel rotation, but eh. not really any complaints here.
Old 2nd July 2008, 21:45   #21  -   
tikshow
S2 licensed

Racername: tikshow
tikshow's online stats
why he was banned?
Old 25th July 2008, 22:39   #22  -   
ssm
Demo Racer

Racername: RaindanceR
ssm's online stats
This is a pretty cool guide, but one problem, the link to the driver is wrong.

The OP's linked driver is for standard xbox controler, this is for the 360 controller.
Old 2nd November 2008, 09:15   #23  -   
jwb_moto
S2 licensed

jwb_moto's online stats
Im running windows vista and having problems configing my wired 360 pad al the driver downloads are either only go upto windows xp or the xbcd360 websites seems to time out!

Any ideas or a working direct link to a driver for vista would be very helpful
Old 2nd November 2008, 11:14   #24  -   
CSU1
S2 licensed

Racername: dodgy
CSU1's online stats
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikshow View Post
why he was banned?
is strange he is from here & here too?

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I voted No.

Last edited by CSU1; 26th March 2009 at 19:10.
Old 7th November 2008, 06:08   #25  -   
Karbine
S2 licensed

Karbine's online stats
C'mon people, really need some help with making a gamepad less twitchy.
Old 7th November 2008, 06:29   #26  -   
Jamesisinthehouse12
S2 licensed

Racername: James Norman
Jamesisinthehouse12's online stats
Exclamation Help...

Quote:
Wireless controller, Is there anyway i can use that on my pc?
You will not be able to use the XBCD drivers on the xbox 360 wireless controller unless they release wireless xbox 360 controller drivers.
But you will be able to use it, just without the XBCD drivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akheirax View Post
I have the Xbox360 wireless controller. Will this guide work?
I sort of answered this above, but just to clarify, no you will not be able to use the XBCD drivers on the xbox 360 wireless controller yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karbine View Post
need some help with making a gamepad less twitchy.
In the LFS Options in the Controller section, just adjust the steering wheel degrees.

P.S. I used the XBCD drivers but then uninstalled them and went back to the default windows drivers. I did this because the XBCD driver converts the Force Feedback to Vibration Feedback, so in games like Crysis it won't work because there isn't Force Feedback because it is built-in with Vibration Feedback for your xbox 360 controller or any other controller (Because is a "Games For Windows" game).

Anyway, happy xbox 360 controllering

Last edited by Jamesisinthehouse12; 7th November 2008 at 06:48. Reason: added more questions and answers
Old 15th November 2008, 09:36   #27  -   
Karbine
S2 licensed

Karbine's online stats
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesisinthehouse12 View Post
You will not be able to use the XBCD drivers on the xbox 360 wireless controller unless they release wireless xbox 360 controller drivers.
But you will be able to use it, just without the XBCD drivers.

I sort of answered this above, but just to clarify, no you will not be able to use the XBCD drivers on the xbox 360 wireless controller yet.

In the LFS Options in the Controller section, just adjust the steering wheel degrees.

P.S. I used the XBCD drivers but then uninstalled them and went back to the default windows drivers. I did this because the XBCD driver converts the Force Feedback to Vibration Feedback, so in games like Crysis it won't work because there isn't Force Feedback because it is built-in with Vibration Feedback for your xbox 360 controller or any other controller (Because is a "Games For Windows" game).

Anyway, happy xbox 360 controllering
the minimum is 90, way too much. There's no damping for gamepads, so you have twitchy superhuman steering ability. Isn't there anything that can be done with joy2key or something? :/
Old 15th November 2008, 13:02   #28  -   
CSU1
S2 licensed

Racername: dodgy
CSU1's online stats
I do not know about the current problems specific to XB controllers, and I did post this gamepad guide some time ago, hope it helps.
Old 24th November 2008, 17:33   #29  -   
Racer325
S2 licensed

Racername: Hooty
Racer325's online stats
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karbine View Post
the minimum is 90, way too much. There's no damping for gamepads, so you have twitchy superhuman steering ability. Isn't there anything that can be done with joy2key or something? :/
If you go on LFS, go to options,misc "Analog Steer Smooth" Put it all the way to the right, and then tweak from there how u want it
Old 16th December 2008, 13:29   #30  -   
GMC79
Demo Racer

GMC79's online stats
Hey guys. Struggling here to get triggers to work on this, may have done something wrong on setup above. Any help? Trying out the LFS demo.

Live for Speed > Other > Hardware > Wheels and controllers

• Submit Thread to Digg
  • Submit Thread to del.icio.us
  • Submit Thread to StumbleUpon
  • Submit Thread to Google