S2 licensed

Racername: danowat
danowat's online stats
AWESOME stuff Bob, will no doubt be a GREAT tool to have
Old 8th January 2007, 14:48   #32  -   
AndroidXP
S2 licensed

AndroidXP's online stats
Geez, missed this thread the first time. I'm going to give it a run when I'm back from work
Old 8th January 2007, 17:41   #33  -   
jenek
S2 licensed

jenek's online stats
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Smith View Post
Yeah, it is awkward, but I don't want to squash anything up. It was designed to fit on a 1024 resolution screen without the taskbar, with a couple of pixels to spare. Aside from the visual disparity it shouldn't obscure any text, though.
I have a 1024 resolution and large fonts, so some part of interface is missing. Here's a screenshot.
And there's no way to see the whole thing untill I'll set large fonts off (I guess, haven't tried it yet).
Anyway, thanks for the tool )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VTA_large_fonts.jpg
Views:	566
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	22273  
Old 8th January 2007, 17:46   #34  -   
Bob Smith

Bob Smith's online stats
Wow, that really messes the GUI up. Never seen that before.

You're missing loads of info too. I don't know how it all automatically resizes, everything should be fixed width. Hmm. Any coders (preferably with VB6) have any suggestions? Time to start googling.
Old 20th January 2007, 14:45   #35  -   
J.B.
Demo Racer

J.B.'s online stats
Nice work indeed. I look forward to using it "in anger" next time I'm fiddling with making setups. Are you doing this project for Uni or is it pure free time work?
Old 20th January 2007, 14:47   #36  -   
Bob Smith

Bob Smith's online stats
It's my Uni project. Atm having to do lots of report writing for it so coding is progressing slowly for now.
Old 23rd January 2007, 08:36   #37  -   
Navid
S2 licensed

Navid's online stats
Thanks Bob thats great.
I don't have anything in Springs and Damping tabs, why?
Old 23rd January 2007, 08:42   #38  -   
AndroidXP
S2 licensed

AndroidXP's online stats
Because it's a "preview" which means "not yet finished"
Old 3rd February 2007, 08:11   #39  -   
duke_toaster
S2 licensed

duke_toaster's online stats
Supermassive necropost, but anyway ...

Bob, it says (when set to MPH), quarter mile ET and mile ETs. When set to KPH, it's the same time, but for 500m and 1000m. Which one is right?
Old 3rd February 2007, 15:05   #40  -   
Bob Smith

Bob Smith's online stats
That's a bug, whichever speed units you were using when you clicked "test acceleration" will be the correct figures. When you change speed units, it changes the test distances but does not recalculate acceleration so that the figures remain correct.

Thanks for reminding me, I'll fix that my end now.
Old 5th February 2007, 13:50   #41  -   
Bob Smith

Bob Smith's online stats
I've spent the passed few days adding missing features, playing with the GUI, generally tidying up. Thought I'd give you an update before I get stuck into the final couple of sections (springs/dampers & steering). Progress is slow atm though, so much report writing to do for it.

link removed, see first post

Hopefully it addresses the some of the issues raised previously.

Edit: found some interesting info
1. Googling for setup analyser brings up the LFS Wiki entry for my advanced setup guide as the top result, where I mention Colcob's old tool.
2. Having checked my webstats, and despite no advertisement of this WIP app by myself (aside from this thread), there have been so far 1,111 downloads of the December test release as of last night. Not bad for 6 weeks, that's 26 every day - or about the same as the combined downloads for GRC and the setup guide are currently racking up. So it seems to have sparked some interest anyway.

Last edited by Bob Smith; 14th February 2007 at 02:15. Reason: Added bonus facts
Old 7th February 2007, 15:30   #42  -   
Bob Smith

Bob Smith's online stats
48 hours and 75 downloads later... any comments? I appreciate not a massive amount has changed.
Old 7th February 2007, 15:43   #43  -   
AndroidXP
S2 licensed

AndroidXP's online stats
Dang, totally forgot about it. Gonna try it in a few hours
Old 7th February 2007, 17:33   #44  -   
AndroidXP
S2 licensed

AndroidXP's online stats
Thumbs up

Cannot say much besides FINISH THIS AWESOME THING ALREADY!

Only things I noticed so far is that on the Tyres tab, the zoom sliders for tyre side view and contact patch work exactly the opposite (moving down zooms in on the side view, but moving down zooms out on the contact patch one), and on the Auto Space Gearing dialog, the percentage label isn't hidden if you select anything but Adjustable Progressive. Yeah I know, these are real showstoppers
Old 7th February 2007, 17:52   #45  -   
Bob Smith

Bob Smith's online stats
Yeah, two little issues I keep forgetting to fix. I'm adding them on my latest to-do list now.

In all honesty it'll probably takes a few months of people using it regularly to create sets (once it's "finished", of course, or at least feature complete) for any real issues to be brought up.

Having just installed Vista I can confirm that it runs fine under Vista but you need to use "Run as Administrator" the first time so the OCX files be can registered. After that it runs just like in XP (and previous).
Old 14th February 2007, 02:13   #46  -   
Bob Smith

Bob Smith's online stats
230 downloads and only Android comments? That's a shocking percentage People usually only post when there's a problem though, so I'll take it as a good sign. Anyway, enough of that...

Good news! Only someone sad like me would rememeber but it's 3 years exactly (well, it will be in 2 hours time but I'll be asleep by then) since I first posted a copy of GRC v1.0, so on this glorious anniversary I'll release another update of it's evolutionary successor.

Obviously not a huge amount has changed in the past 9 days, of most impact as that I've added the rest of the GUI settings elements so you can now save the setups you create/open, which I figure is kinda handy and means you can actually start using this as intended.

Oh and AndroidXP will be happy, his 2 little bugs are gone. Also check out the new snazzy tyre drawing while you're at it.

I'm ready to hit some meaty stuff now, thankfully the analysis itself usually takes a lot less time than everything else.

link removed, please see first post

Night all.
Old 14th February 2007, 08:07   #47  -   
tikshow
S2 licensed

Racername: tikshow
tikshow's online stats
thank you! good job!
Old 14th February 2007, 08:13   #48  -   
danowat
S2 licensed

danowat's online stats
Lookin good Bob.

For me, it will really become usefull when the suspension and damping pages are active, but it certainly looks like it will become a very usefull tool.

Dan,
Old 15th February 2007, 10:08   #49  -   
danowat
S2 licensed

danowat's online stats
Suggestion......

Make a prompt "are you sure you want to overwrite this file", also, you can save different car model settings to the wrong file.

i.e. this morning I overwrote an XR Turbo setup with XF GTi information, which then results in the overwritten file not being able to be read anymore.

Dan,
Old 15th February 2007, 16:24   #50  -   
Bob Smith

Bob Smith's online stats
Quote:
Originally Posted by danowat View Post
Make a prompt "are you sure you want to overwrite this file"
Sure, that's easily done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danowat View Post
also, you can save different car model settings to the wrong file.

i.e. this morning I overwrote an XR Turbo setup with XF GTi information, which then results in the overwritten file not being able to be read anymore.
I see what you're getting at, although the file should still be perfectly readable (only ride height should be a bit borked). I could make it so, if you have a setup open, and then change car, it automatically closes the file. That way if you try to save, it will revert to "Save As" and you will have to pick/type in a filename. Does that sound good?
Old 15th February 2007, 17:31   #51  -   
AndroidXP
S2 licensed

AndroidXP's online stats
Mmm, nice showing the surface rubber as an extra layer on the tyre side view (getting thinner as you "wear down" the tyre)

Have to agree with danowat, the most useful/used tabs will surely be the suspension and damping ones, so until now it is more or less doomed to be a optimizing-shift-points-tool. Though these two tabs are probably the trickiest, which is the reason they're not finished yet, I reckon.

Last edited by AndroidXP; 15th February 2007 at 17:36.
Old 15th February 2007, 17:57   #52  -   
JTbo
S2 licensed

JTbo's online stats
I have managed to start this only two times after download, too much other stuff I guess, but I just have not noticed anything worth mention yet, lol.

Ok, I don't know if you remember when I sent some pic and link to software some time ago, I think that it could be alternative presentation to torque plot graph as there is alternative presentation to speed plot graph?
Old 15th February 2007, 20:34   #53  -   
Bob Smith

Bob Smith's online stats
I've still got that image saved, don't worry, not forgotten about it. There'll be quite a few things I can go back and add at a later date, I must get the core of the analysis finished. Once the new GUI was established I've spent ages re-organising code and setting everything up to use all the extra data available from LFS .bin outputs. Then I've updated each section, one at a time. The only truely new section since GRC is the decelleration, but everything is done in much more detail now and hopefully with more accuracy too.

Also don't under-rate the usefullness of the aero tab for setting up wing angles, I use it frequently when I'm driving on a combo for the first time. On the whole I know what you mean, it is suspension I adjust the most, and it made sense to do it last the way I'm working through things.

After that I'm still planning quite a few large seperate features:
* Custom tyres designer, where you can add extra tyre types
* Custom wings designers, where you can add extra wing types
* Auto-loading of vehicles, tyres and wings
* Large, resizeable graph display which will display any one of the graphs in the program and update in real-time. The real time nature is of most benefit to high resolution and multi-monitors users but I know this is a long requested feature.
* Real time 'replays' of acceleration (and braking) with play stop, pause, rewing, fast foward, etc. Will be played through a separate form, showing the vehicle pitching, springs and tyres compressing, etc. Should be very cool to watch and will probably take longer to create the GUI for it than to code up, thanks to the way everything is stored in one big-ass array.
* Something similar to above (although less detailed) that will be truely live with LFS by using OutSim.

The first three are obviously concerned with the real life aspects of the program. These will also come in handy when 'porting' for other race sims.
Old 15th February 2007, 20:56   #54  -   
JTbo
S2 licensed

JTbo's online stats
Oh yes and you have to fill those empty tabs at some point
Old 16th February 2007, 21:11   #55  -   
coast
S2 licensed

coast's online stats
How to?

I have download this program and I don't know how to use
Can I tweak cars?

How I can export my sets in the game life for speed to use it?

Sorry for my bad english
Old 16th February 2007, 22:15   #56  -   
Bob Smith

Bob Smith's online stats
It can read and write LFS .set files fine, just browse to your LFS folder from the "File, Open" menu.

You might have got the wrong end of the stick about what this program does though, it will not edit the stats of the LFS cars, only the setups. It won't let you adjust anything that LFS does not already let you do. What it does do, is tell you A LOT of information about how those settings will affect the performance and handling of the vehicle. It's a tool for setup makers.

Hope that clears it up.
Old 16th February 2007, 22:57   #57  -   
mantis9
S2 licensed

mantis9's online stats
Ive just found this and had to post.
Wow Bob wow. When I win the lottery youve got a very well paid job for life helping me set up my cars
Thats seriously impressive, if only I knew how to use it!
I know your still developing it, but even a basic manual would be useful.
Just to help people like me who want to get involved, but dont have the time or knowledge to just sit and fiddle.
Great work, you are a leg-end
Old 22nd February 2007, 23:43   #58  -   
Bob Smith

Bob Smith's online stats
Still quite a bit of work before suspension is done and I'm ready to let you all have a play, but to build up some suspense (, yeah right) I thought a teaser pic would be in order.

No doubt there'll be some GUI changes so it won't necessarily look that cluttered, need to find some extra room for it all.
Old 23rd February 2007, 05:20   #59  -   
KartRacer
S2 licensed

Racername: [DSR]Sizzle
KartRacer's online stats
Great job Bob, I know I, and I'm sure everyone on the forums, greatly appreciate your work. Can't wait for the suspension!

- I just got a book, Competition Car Suspension by Allan Staniforth. Lots of complicated things, explained very simply, its not as mathmatical as most of the good chassis or suspension books I've seen. He also does a great job of explaining the history of racing suspension. Just thought you might find it interesting.
Old 23rd February 2007, 06:57   #60  -   
danowat
S2 licensed

danowat's online stats
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Smith View Post
Still quite a bit of work before suspension is done and I'm ready to let you all have a play, but to build up some suspense (, yeah right) I thought a teaser pic would be in order.

No doubt there'll be some GUI changes so it won't necessarily look that cluttered, need to find some extra room for it all.
now THATS what I am talking about

Live for Speed > Files > Unofficial Addons

• Submit Thread to Digg
  • Submit Thread to del.icio.us
  • Submit Thread to StumbleUpon
  • Submit Thread to Google