The online racing simulator
Internet
(20 posts, started )
#1 - tisy0
Internet
Hi,

I recently installed Ubuntu and now its taking all my internet!!, I've tried uninstalling it and that screws up my boot screen and gives me errors to not get onto XP. So I've gotta keep Ubuntu, Which doesn't really affect me apart from the Internet!!

On Ubuntu I get 500KB/s Download speed and on Windows a lame 30-50KB/s!!
My internet is shared via a router, to another computer and a laptop.
Any Help?

Thanks,
Tisy0
Ubuntu can't possibly "steal" bandwidth from your Windows installation

However, if you remove Ubuntu you have to reset Windows original boot loader, and this is done by booting the Windows installation CD, going into repair mode and typing 'fixmbr' at the DOS prompt.

You should really install antivirus software and do a scan for ad-ware i Windows though. Something is definatley wrong when the speed differs that much.

Try Spybot for ad-ware problems, and AntiVir as antivirus software. Both these are freeware.
#3 - tisy0
Huh
I've got AVG 8.0 and Spyware Doctor, I have no Spyware.
Also I have a Windows XP Proffesional install disc, But I'm running Windows XP Home because the CD that came with my computer isnt just Windows XP, Its a recovery CD :/, Can I use the XP Proffesional Disc to Reset the boot loader?

Thanks,
Tisy0
Quote from tisy0 :But I'm running Windows XP Home because the CD that came with my computer isnt just Windows XP, Its a recovery CD :/

That's what you get for using pirated software. Use piracy and you have to accept the limitations of it.
Quote from mrodgers :That's what you get for using pirated software. Use piracy and you have to accept the limitations of it.

Errmm... a recovery CD is what ships with OEM systems, it isn't pirate treasure.
Quote from mrodgers :That's what you get for using pirated software. Use piracy and you have to accept the limitations of it.

Fail.
#7 - tisy0
lol
Mrodgers what are you on about mate?
An Acer Recovery CD (2 Actually) are shipped with the computer, I've got the Activation Key on side of my comp.

Anyway I'm gonna un-install Ubuntu (Linux) in a min and see how it goes.
DOS ftw. I never remember having any problems with it, ever. It just worked. And then some

I don't get the question...Ubuntu is downloading at 500 KB/S non-stop? Try unplugging the LAN cable and see what happens? Maybe you're confusing it with the max speed of your hardware or something? Never seen any 500 KB/S LAN hardware though
Quote from tisy0 :Hi,

I recently installed Ubuntu and now its taking all my internet!!

Buy more internet. $5 per box.
Lol
Quote from Lateralus :Buy more internet. $5 per box.

People like you get right on my nerves,
I just took the Hard Drive from my old computer and put it in my computer and my old D/L speed was BACK!
About 500kb/s on my Lan,
I've got 16MB internet from Sky! I expect 500kb/s Minimum

I guess i'll have to buy a new hard drive. It will solve my problems at least.

Thanks,
Tisy0
Quote from tisy0 :

With Sky and their famous "Traffic Shaping" you are lucky to get 5kb/s!!! (depending on time of day!)
#12 - Jakg
Do you actually sync at 16 mb (or whatever the correct terminology is) or are you paying for up to 16...?
Quote from tisy0 :People like you get right on my nerves,
I just took the Hard Drive from my old computer and put it in my computer and my old D/L speed was BACK!
About 500kb/s on my Lan,

I guess i'll have to buy a new hard drive. It will solve my problems at least.

Thanks,
Tisy0

A hard drive will NOT alter your download rates, if anything you have funky drivers.
Sig material = pure win & gold

Im a bit of a computer nooblet, and all I can think of doing is wiping Ubuntu from your Drives & re-installing XP

Or checking any routers you're connected to ?

Sarge.
An harddrive CAN affect your download speed,

if

1. that HDD is dying

2. if your using too much programs doing I/Os on your drive ( ie. running a virus check, a defrag, a bittorrent downloader, and god knows what else, at the same type)
thought your hdd has to be shitty if its that under 1MB/s, but with realy high speeds over 800KB/s it could be it

3. Having low ram, low initial pagefile, and using shitty windows management of pagefile.

4. a combination of the 3

5. some other stuff i didnt think about on the top of my head

in all those case the download speed is slowed down because of the I/O limit of the HDD

i myself have a dying hdd and i must asdmit that while it slwoed down my games loading time considerably, it havent slowed down my downlaod speed t5o much yet..
Quote from Archange :An harddrive CAN affect your download speed,

if

1. that HDD is dying

2. if your using too much programs doing I/Os on your drive ( ie. running a virus check, a defrag, a bittorrent downloader, and god knows what else, at the same type)
thought your hdd has to be shitty if its that under 1MB/s, but with realy high speeds over 800KB/s it could be it

3. Having low ram, low initial pagefile, and using shitty windows management of pagefile.

4. a combination of the 3

5. some other stuff i didnt think about on the top of my head

in all those case the download speed is slowed down because of the I/O limit of the HDD

i myself have a dying hdd and i must asdmit that while it slwoed down my games loading time considerably, it havent slowed down my downlaod speed t5o much yet..

Evidently it isn't the HDD at fault though because it downloads fine in one OS and not the other, the problem here, I suspect, is software, not hardware and it sounds like the Windows install has been cocked up, so a reinstall would fix the issue.
Hmm
After I got all that fixed I have another significant problem.
I switch the computer on, Monitor Displays:: Analogue Power Saving Mode
G25 Doesn't Spin around Monitor displays nothing else, Reconnected Video Card, Reconnected all Monitor leads etc..
Still no Display :/
My computer is always F****** Breaking

Thanks,
Tisy0
Moral of the story:

"If it ain't broke, DON'T fix it!"

and if it is broke, get it fixed properly!

Did you remove the Linux boot thingy from the MBR like you were told to do earlier in this thread?
Yup, It was all fixed last night, Wiped the whole hard drive, Installed Windows XP, Ran like lightning, Didn't download anything apart from Firefox.
Shut it down as normal, Nothing went wrong, Until I switched it on this morning :/

Thanks,
Tisy0
Bit of a bump but I found my monitor problem,

Switched my RAM Slots over as I tried EVERYTHING else and it works perfectly every time.
http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=47055
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The computer I AM! buying

Internet
(20 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG