The online racing simulator
Rfactor vs LFS
(1872 posts, started )
None the less yes! was never a question of gameplay, read the thread again, do not just simply respond!!
I think that LFS only narrowly looses out to N2003 in the physics department, other than that nothing ISI has ever made can come close.

LFS shows a lot more promise and variety of cars (if not tracks) than N2003 does now, but doesn't have the same feel, it still looks like a computer game, less so than the ISI sims, but it still just can't beat even GPL or N3 there. Papy sims just had something about them that nothing else does.
Sorry my fault should rename this thread to the development of LFS vs rfactor
Or you just shouldn't have posted it to begin with
It's like you're trying to create a flame war, but we're all too grown up.

I've yet to play rFactor, but Madman just bought it and isn't impressed (apart from shiny graphics)
Quote from ajp71 :I think that LFS only narrowly looses out to N2003 in the physics department, other than that nothing ISI has ever made can come close.

forgive my ignorance, but what is N2003? oh, wait a minute, nascar 2003? if it's nascar (isn't nascar already an acronym? heheheh) that you're saying has such wonderful physics then it doesn't interest me. i NEED NEED NEED to turn right and do some hard braking from time to time.

speedfreak227
Quote from speedfreak227 :forgive my ignorance, but what is N2003? oh, wait a minute, nascar 2003? if it's nascar (isn't nascar already an acronym? heheheh) that you're saying has such wonderful physics then it doesn't interest me. i NEED NEED NEED to turn right and do some hard braking from time to time.

speedfreak227

http://www.nascar4real.com/images/Infineon%201/track.jpg

Eh, out of all the racing games LFS keeps me busy.

That MUST mean something...
Quote from BigBen :http://www.nascar4real.com/images/Infineon%201/track.jpg

i know nascar does 2 or 3 races per year on non-ovals, and if i catch them on tv i enjoy them quite a lot, but when a game has only a few road courses and 25 or so "different" ovals it just can't hold my attention.

don't get me wrong, i respect the skills required to excel on ovals but personally i just find them boring...................

........HEY GUES WHAT? TURN LEFT AGAIN! hehehheheh

speedfreak227
I'll file that away for when someone says "you should all be interested in NASCAR". I didn't see anyone say it in this thread though. ;D

~Ben
I i like lfs more. I cant get the force feedback to feel right in rfactor either for my driving force pro. By right i mean something close to LFS or gt4.
LFS has a more natural feel to it. especially when driving at the limit.

why the hell does rfactor have to represent american gaming? was it made in america?

honestly the only reason i own rfactor is because of the mods.. but since none are out right now, rfactor isnt on my hard drive.

:EDIT: click my link in my signature Rucus ":EDIT:
I didn't try Rfactor, but i think LFS has a long time popularity cause it isn't just a game that is programmed and then the devloppers forget about it. No, it developes over the years and that is what's nice about it. So i think about long term fun no other sim can compete with LFS.
#38 - ysu
I put both proggy on my HDD and they just don't want to fight it out
...so it's rF & LFS not rF vs LFS here
speedfreak227, a few years ago, Papyrus Nascar Racing and GPL were the only racing "SIMS" available for us on the PC. They were truely and still are fabulous. NR2003 had such a strong following from hardcore sim fans that there are many many mods for it creating road course racing. The one that comes to mind is the TPTCC (The Pits Touring Car Championship) mod from the US Pits. It's not just using road course tracks, but modding the physics and the car bodies to touring cars. I've never tried it as I only had a PC capable of running NR2003 for 3 months before trying LFS and I haven't loaded anything else since. Search for "The US Pits", TPTCC, or check the NR2003 section at RSC for it. NR2003 is the only game/sim that comes close to LFS.
MRODGERS, i used to play grand prix legends. it was great but a bit too realistic and none of my freinds could handle it.

when i bought the ORIGINAL logitech force feedback wheel it came with a pretty good sim racer. i don't remember the exact name........GT racing perhaps, no, that's not it........ damn......... it had real tracks and real cars. i think there were 3 levels of cars to progress through. though i don't rememebr how much set up you could do to the car.

i remember people at the kart track talking about various nascar versions but i just can't bring myself to play em. i haven't even been on the oval in LFS.

well, as far as i'm concerned, LFS rules. the physics are awesome, the tracks are geat fun, and there's a decent selection of cars. the sounds could use some work but i can live without that.

can't wait till the shop figures out what's wrong with my computer so i can get back online and racing again.

speedfreak227
Quote from speedfreak227 :
when i bought the ORIGINAL logitech force feedback wheel it came with a pretty good sim racer. i don't remember the exact name........GT racing perhaps, no, that's not it........ damn......... it had real tracks and real cars. i think there were 3 levels of cars to progress through. though i don't rememebr how much set up you could do to the car.

Sports Car GT (SCGT) I bet.

ISI has produced a long line of modable sims that started with SCGT (although it's physics aren't exactly hard core sim) and currently ends at rFactor.

~Ben
yup, sports car gt is the one. i just came back to edit my post but you beat me to it.

it was good for its time.

speedfreak227
I think the thread starter has a certain point, when rFactor first came out and I saw some screenshots of it I immediately knew it was a game developed in America. Just something about the hud and the flashy nature of the graphics I think.
I think there's something to be said for LFS being developed by Europeans, not to intimate that that makes it superior but just that it brings a certain feel to the game. For one thing I'm not sure we'd have a car like the GTi if it were developed by Americans and even though I don't particularly like it I know many many people love it.

btw apples and oranges can be compared quite easily, it's just a matter of whether it achieves anything
Can we just try to turn this thread more serious level of discussion? I'm very interested in rFactor also, but not yet had change to try it. What I have gathered from these topics, rFactor has better sounds and graphics. I've also heard that RWD cars are less over steering.
I realy like to see more opinnions on these matters and hope that people could stop arguing about others opinnions.
Hey, hey, LFS gets help from Linux From Scratch on google battle!
Quote from speedfreak227 :forgive my ignorance, but what is N2003? oh, wait a minute, nascar 2003? if it's nascar (isn't nascar already an acronym? heheheh) that you're saying has such wonderful physics then it doesn't interest me. i NEED NEED NEED to turn right and do some hard braking from time to time.

speedfreak227

Only actually touched two of the ovals.

By Nascar 2003 I was including all the mods including the Ferrari 330s and GTP, seeing as they all use the same physics engine. Actually the Nascar Trucks make very well balanced controlable cars for road courses.

The GTP mod has a new level of intensity only felt in GPL and maybe the FO8, there is no comparison to SCGT. N2003 is the only sim I get any satisfaction out of testing offline.

As you can see there are a few road courses to race: http://www.simracingconnection.com/nascar/n2k3road.shtml
Why compare? Why compare only two sims? Why not play more than one sim? Why always these kind of topics that generally don't lead anywhere? Why do I bother to type this? Well as long as I'm here, I might as well go on
These are the simes I drive or have driven.

SportsCar GT
GrandPrixLegends
Nascar Heat
F1C 99-02
Nascar Racing 2003
Live For Speed
rFactor

Each of those has it's own ups and downs and none of them cover everything that I value in a racing sim. If I had to chose only one, LFS would be the obvious choice, but I'm glad I don't have to.
Some of them I've stopped driving because of issues that has not been solved or improved upon.

NR2003... This one has virtually killed a gfx card for me. And nearly took another one out a few weeks later. Long discussions with all kinds of people and no one managed to figure out why or managed to solve the problem. All I got out of it was an empty wallet. I don't play it any more.

F1C... You can say what you want, but this one could have been great if the multiplayer function had been better and the graphics performance had been better than average at best. Mod's for this sim is what kept it alive. I don't play it any more.

rFactor... You talk about LFS not being finished, and so we can not compare it with rFactor. Well in my not so humble opinion, rFactor is far from finished. It lacks a lot of stuff that really should be in a professional sim from day one. If this sim had been relesed like this and not been open to modders, I would probably have gotten a refund after about an hour or so.

GPL... I don't drive it as much as I used to, but it's still on my harddrive. And when ever I feel the need to focus on something other than real life for a while, I start it up. Because, let's face it. If you don't focus when you drive in this sim, you're no longer on the track.

SCGT... This is the one that never will die. I stoped counting available cars when they hit 1000, and I've lost count on tracks a long time ago. An educated guess would be somewhere between 400 and 700 availble tracks made. It has a lousy multiplayer code, but the AI cars can (with a little editing) be really tough. Some of the tracks has better AI than ever was seen in F1C. This one will never leave my harddrive.

Nascar Heat... If you find a better multiplayer code in the universe, please tell me. This one is second to none when it comes to online racing. If you think that the Papy sims have cood multiplayer, you're in for a treat if you try this one. For those that don't like the "turn left, go fast" kind of racing, there is ton's of roadcourse mods for it. The only thing this sim lack is that truckload of roadcourses. Only about 70 roadcourses availble for it, but all the classics are there avialable. Try it, you'll like it

LFS... This is the crown jewel in my collection of sims, and it's not even finished yet. If I could wish for only one thing, it would be that ability to create cars and tracks for it. But for now, I'm more than happy with what's in there. Keep up the Good Work Gentlemen

Why drive only one sim, and why fight over witch one is best? Just drive them and make up your list of favourites like I have. If the sim you drive doesn't make you feel good, stop driving it and remove it from the harddrive. Simple as that.

Rfactor vs LFS
(1872 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG