The online racing simulator
Easy to drive setup pack [out of date]
(176 posts, started )
I can't answer that of course, but I've found it pretty useful to download a setup from Setupfield or elsewhere, and then tweak it to be somewhere around half way between that and Bob's setup. If you play around with it you might get a pretty decent one.
#152 - dev
Quote from Gnomie :I can't answer that of course, but I've found it pretty useful to download a setup from Setupfield or elsewhere, and then tweak it to be somewhere around half way between that and Bob's setup. If you play around with it you might get a pretty decent one.

I never actually thought of that Thank you for the idea, I'll definitely try to play with that
Quote from Gnomie :I can't answer that of course, but I've found it pretty useful to download a setup from Setupfield or elsewhere, and then tweak it to be somewhere around half way between that and Bob's setup. If you play around with it you might get a pretty decent one.

Thanks for the idea! I've tried to learn the secrets of RWD cars (mainly XRG) and have had alot of problems with spinning. I was able to do quite fast laps but about 60% of laps I spun or atleast lost control of the car for a while.

I took one of the XRG-setups from the setupgrid (one with the clutchpack) + Bob's setup, kinda combined them and ended up with a pretty fast'ish but very stable setup for XRG

Good thing is if I want my setup to be faster I can always 'lean' it more towards the setupgrid-setup

Glad you found it useful! As you say, the good thing is that it's easy to adjust it as you progress. I think I learnt quite a lot about which parameters affect speed/handling through this method.
Just wondering Bob, any future plans to update your setups? Many thanks for all your work in the past on the setups.
Plans? Yes. Time? No. I think tonight was my first casual race in LFS so far this year, so I'm really not in the groove enough to be making a setup pack, even if I had the time.

OT: I really miss having the time for everything but it's a change to actually have some money for a change, even if the job does suck way too much of my time. /OT
Quote from Bob Smith :Plans? Yes. Time? No. I think tonight was my first casual race in LFS so far this year, so I'm really not in the groove enough to be making a setup pack, even if I had the time.

OT: I really miss having the time for everything but it's a change to actually have some money for a change, even if the job does suck way too much of my time. /OT

OT:...you see this is the problem, we work our nads off untill retirement and what on earth use is the money usefull for then? zimmerframes and oversized lenses? goddamn this life, tis a bitch...i've heard it's like a box of chocolates enjoying the nice nutty ones and caramel ones as we go and then the yucky ones right at the end, but some save em' all right till the end when they just too old to appreciate the tase to the full, meh/OT
Quote from CSU1 :OT:...you see this is the problem, we work our nads off untill retirement and what on earth use is the money usefull for then? zimmerframes and oversized lenses? goddamn this life, tis a bitch...i've heard it's like a box of chocolates enjoying the nice nutty ones and caramel ones as we go and then the yucky ones right at the end, but some save em' all right till the end when they just too old to appreciate the tase to the full, meh/OT

To continue the off-topic, where can I find more chocolate? All good ones have been eaten by others already. Note to self: Hide your chocolate box to a better place next time.
are those setups good for Blackwood ?
A bit of help for people with Patch Y.

These Sets need to be Renamed for it to work on Patch Y. For Example if it has XR GTR_Easy Race.set You have to change it to XRG_Easy Race.set. The renames need to be done for it to work on Patch Y.

Hope i helped :-D
@ Bob

After the Road-going set pack, are you thinking about an upgrade to this pack as well?
Not so much. It's a much larger effort for me to update this, as a solution to a problem that doesn't really exist anymore. With the latest physics, most sets handle better than my original easy race sets, and the difference between a good set and a bad set isn't as extreme as it used to be. With the rise of sites like setupfield and setupgrid, there are easy places to find sets. Setupgrip at least has categories for easy to race sets so I don't see it as being worth my time to create these sets, especially as it's rare for me to race in LFS atm, so I don't have any decent sets of my own to use as bases, like I did a few years ago.
What percentage of sets found on those sites use 'realistic' values only? I thought the idea behind the easy race sets was that they'd be reasonably easy to keep on the track, while not exploiting anything like huge camber, locked diff or insane preload
I'm with Pringles on this one - I do not like the setup repositories so much, IMO they are part of the problem, namely the hotlap mindset.

Quote from Bob Smith :Setupgrip at least has categories for easy to race sets

There's only one set in it, so I guess there's not a true need of easy, stable, reasonably quick and realistic sets
Well true, the same could be said of any sets I create. The main motivator for the sets was that the default sets sucked so badly, and there were few people whe really new what they were doing to create a good set. There are many more talented setup makers in the community now, and nobody is stopping them from creating a similar setup pack.

NightShift - fair enough, I hadn't checked since about the time setupgrip opened. I've too many other WIP progress projects that need working on before I can turn my hand back to this.
Patch Z version ?
Is there any new setup to get like this one that actually works well on latest patch (Z) ? Or do this work ?

Thanks.
Quote from Mopheus :Is there any new setup to get like this one that actually works well on latest patch (Z) ? Or do this work ?

Thanks.

0.6B is the latest version and these work.
Crucially, however, they don't work *well* anymore. The basis was to create sets that weren't too stiff or over-damped, so the suspension could work and give you a softer, more controllable car. Some understeer for stability but not so much that you had an unpleasant drive, or got used to driving something that was too far removed from a fast set.
Even in 0.6B your sets rock! for nervous cars, like LX4, LX6, RAC etc. Thanks a lot Bob, I am a KB driver and I never used to be able to control the LX's though I liked them. With your sets, I can easily control them and it is my primary choice now and am able to get "great splits" and "good laps" with it, after making minimal modifications. So hats off!
But I have to rename certain files?
I did not read them
Hey I just downloaded the files and extracted the zip to my lfs/data folder. But the cars don't show up? I'm using a Mac with WineBottler to let me run it, is there something I need to do to get it to run on mac? Thanks.
See the red text in first post:
Edit again: These sets will need renaming for use with patch Y and later! They still haven't been updated, either.

The car prefixes in filenames are wrong.
For example "XF GTI_xxxxx.set" should be "XFG_xxxxx.set" or something.

I have not tested the setups but seeing how Bob Smith writes "they don't work *well* anymore." and even the file names are not right, maybe the thread should be un-stickied?
As can be seen previous post it only brings confusion: Especially new players will want to try out "easy setups" and especially for them it is hard to figure out why the setups do not work...
Quote from Gutholz :...I have not tested the setups but seeing how Bob Smith writes "they don't work *well* anymore." and even the file names are not right, maybe the thread should be un-stickied?
As can be seen previous post it only brings confusion: Especially new players will want to try out "easy setups" and especially for them it is hard to figure out why the setups do not work...

What he said.
Or better yet, updated by some good-will pilots.
I'm new. Where do I get setups that work?
http://setupfield.teaminferno.hu and http://setupgrid.net
Or ask in chat, setups can be sent ingame.

Can also look on websites of some leagues, sometimes people share their setups for the next race.
https://www.lfs.net/forum/thread/86861-F1-Champ-2015%3A-Setups
http://cityliga.de/index.php/en/board/setups/90-cl-setups
http://www.absolute-beginners.nl/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?6429
Of course that has a smaller selection but personally I prefered that:
there you know someone has recently tested the set and saw it fit for race...

Easy to drive setup pack [out of date]
(176 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG