The online racing simulator
H-Box for all cars
(20 posts, started )
H-Box for all cars
Although making improvement suggestions is like creating setlists for Elvis' next concert, here we go...

What about giving each car an optional H-box... just for the fun? Can't be much work as you can switch tranny-types with Tweak too.
It used to be this way, until the devs decided it was wrong having an H box in a Formula 1 car and other open wheelers.. so they changed it to something a little more.. 'correct'
#3 - Woz
I used to think the same but as it is now forces you to experience different tranny types, a good thing
Simply put, this is a racing simulator, not a "just for the fun" racing game. Period.

Sorry about being so direct, but i really think LFS is going in the right direction, a lil slow yes, but in the right direction!
sounds fun, i like the idea, an h-pattern XRR sound fun, but in my personal opinion, i think driving a BF1 with an h-pattern shifter would be tuff
Quote from LSDBlackWolf :Simply put, this is a racing simulator, not a "just for the fun" racing game. Period.

Sorry about being so direct, but i really think LFS is going in the right direction, a lil slow yes, but in the right direction!

Same for me, I wouldn't want say, a 6 speed shifter in my F1 car. This game is all about realism and adding those sorts of things would make it less real as well as making the game potentially uneven for racers. ie BF1 with paddles and another with shifter.....go figure.

Though I think the FZR could do with some paddles since the XRR and FXR both have paddles.
#7 - pik_d
Quote from c00kie :Though I think the FZR could do with some paddles since the XRR and FXR both have paddles.

The FZR was given an H-pattern gearbox to slow it down a little. It probably should have a sequential gearbox but that would just make the divide between it an the others even worse.
Quote from LSDBlackWolf :Simply put, this is a racing simulator, not a "just for the fun" racing game. Period.

i tough only reason people play games is ''for fun''
Quote from XCNuse :It used to be this way

Interesting. Didn't know that.

You don't HAVE to use it in a race.

Quote from c00kie :Same for me, I wouldn't want say, a 6 speed shifter in my F1 car. This game is all about realism and adding those sorts of things would make it less real as well as making the game potentially uneven for racers. ie BF1 with paddles and another with shifter.....go figure.

You don't HAVE to use it in a race.

For a race you always choose the best possible parts, right (ok I still don't drive locked diffs)?

If I wanted a sequential box for the XFG, things would be different as there would be no reason to drive H-box in a race anymore.

Quote from batteryy :i tough only reason people play games is ''for fun''

nooooooooooooo. LFS is mainly educational. And it's sooooooo close to reality that becoming a better LFS-racer also means becoming a better real life racer and vice versa... 1:1 - seriously... ... ... [/sarcasm]
I think you can make it with scripts
I'd rather have the option in all of the GTR cars to have an H-Box. I'm not a fan of the flappy paddle gearbox. I like a good old clutch and shifter.
And you can choose to drive all cars with sequential gear boxes more or less, so why not the other way around?
In patch Y (I think), when Scawen updated the gearbox model, he made a conscious decision to make the distinction between sequential and H-Gate gearboxes.

The reason that he doesn't force H-Gate on cars that have them and allows sequential is becuase not everyone owns a device capable of H-Pattern shifting. However, it doesn't really make sense (nor is the gearbox capable of) doing an H-Gate shift in a FBM or an F1 car, so sequential is forced. The FZR got forced into an H-Pattern to try to slow it down a little bit in the scope of balancing.

I doubt Scawen would reverse this decision considering it was a conscious and deliberate (and probably a lot of code) decision to implement gearboxes like this.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :In patch Y (I think), when Scawen updated the gearbox model, he made a conscious decision to make the distinction between sequential and H-Gate gearboxes.

The reason that he doesn't force H-Gate on cars that have them and allows sequential is becuase not everyone owns a device capable of H-Pattern shifting. However, it doesn't really make sense (nor is the gearbox capable of) doing an H-Gate shift in a FBM or an F1 car, so sequential is forced. The FZR got forced into an H-Pattern to try to slow it down a little bit in the scope of balancing.

I doubt Scawen would reverse this decision considering it was a conscious and deliberate (and probably a lot of code) decision to implement gearboxes like this.

I agree that the F1's should be forced sequential gearboxes. But cars like the XRR and XFR are cars that I'd probably prefer with an H-box. I end up prefering FZR and UFR over them just because of the gearbox pattern.
Quote from pärtan :I agree that the F1's should be forced sequential gearboxes. But cars like the XRR and XFR are cars that I'd probably prefer with an H-box. I end up prefering FZR and UFR over them just because of the gearbox pattern.

Agreed!

Besides, if he made the FZR have only an H to make it slower, then what is the harm in allowing H in all the GTR cars? It's only going to make me slower, right? I'm just fine with that.
Well, if LFS is supposed to simulate cars, cars have different gearboxes that function differently and LFS actually simulates these correctly unlike.. every other sim out there.

The FBM has a weird sequential gearbox that doesn't require clutching to shift up, you just haffto lift the throttle and the next gear will engage. All the road cars logically have H-Pattern gearboxes. The MRT5 has a motorcycle gearbox (like the real car) and requires you to downshift from neutral into 1st (and no reverse gear).

I don't really understand why you guys are advocating Scawen make LFS less realistic to how the cars are designed (even fictional cars have designs). They made the FXR and XRR be sequential by design. The FZR is not sequential.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Well, if LFS is supposed to simulate cars, cars have different gearboxes that function differently and LFS actually simulates these correctly unlike.. every other sim out there.

The FBM has a weird sequential gearbox that doesn't require clutching to shift up, you just haffto lift the throttle and the next gear will engage. All the road cars logically have H-Pattern gearboxes. The MRT5 has a motorcycle gearbox (like the real car) and requires you to downshift from neutral into 1st (and no reverse gear).

I don't really understand why you guys are advocating Scawen make LFS less realistic to how the cars are designed (even fictional cars have designs). They made the FXR and XRR be sequential by design. The FZR is not sequential.

The style of car that the GTR's are could feasibly have an H pattern box. Hell, NASCAR does...
Quote from dawesdust_12 :I don't really understand why you guys are advocating Scawen make LFS less realistic to how the cars are designed (even fictional cars have designs). They made the FXR and XRR be sequential by design. The FZR is not sequential.

I don't see a problem allowing a little more freedom here. I mean we aren't forced to use a specific steering wheel rotation either. If you want to do a lerts you can still drive your UF1 with 40° steering.

btw, I'd like to have an option to lock the 4WDs center diff completely, especially for those hillclimb servers.
Central diff... Any chance for eLSDs? (For RB4 first.)
I'm fine with how the gearboxes are. engine swaps are also not simulated.

H-Box for all cars
(20 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG