The online racing simulator
Quote from Jakg :If i remember rightly, Kev's got an 8800?

Hahaha. My memory is ****ed. I thought "Nah it's an 8600" - I've been telling people it's an 8600! And I just checked and it's an 8800GTS...

Quote from Jakg :If so theres something called "Convergent Anti-Aliasing" (i think, the only 8800 in this house sits on top of a fecking printer!) which is "better".

Is that only available in DX10 or something? I'm not seeing it in the control panel.

Quote from Jakg : You might want to try nHancer, it opens up more options...

Thanks for the suggestion but I'd rather not if I can avoid it. I don't like having lots of pissy little tweaker apps kicking around.
#27 - Jakg
Quote from thisnameistaken :Is that only available in DX10 or something? I'm not seeing it in the control panel.

From what Chris (Christoffire) said last night he didn't have the "Combined" option (in nHancer) but instead has "Convergence".
Wow, nice guide Jakg!

I'll try that out when I get home from work. I have a 6600GT with 256mb memory, you think that'll be able to handle those high settings? Currently I get a pretty constant 100fps online on a full server (in Vista, it's less in XP) but I can't remember what resolution I'm running it on. I also don't have all options set to their highest

Thanks for the guide!
#29 - Jakg
I can't say what you'll get, but i remember managing 2xAA on my XFX 6600GT, but i was a massive n00b then *embarrassed face*
Ok I have a problem, I usually use 4X AA and 16X AF when playing LFS, since it doesn`t do any changes on my FPS, and because it looks better.
To change the AA and AF values I simply have to right click on a icon on my tool bar (Geforce 6600GT btw). But what I don`t understand is that in that bar it is possible to chose 8X AA, but when I push it the marker disapear. Hmmm, bad explained, I try again - when I chose, for example 4X AA everything is fine, and I get a "V" sign on the left of the 4X AA, but when I chose 8X I don`t get a "V" sign between it.
If you understand what I mean, why is it so? Doesn`t my card suport 8X AA, or is it just a showing bug or something?

Sorry my bad english, and I hope someone can help me explain it
Quote from obsolum :I'll try that out when I get home from work. I have a 6600GT with 256mb memory, you think that'll be able to handle those high settings?

Yeah it does - that's just about the settings I've been running LFS at since I got this card a year or two ago at 1680x1050 and it's just fine.
#32 - Jakg
TBH i don't have a clue waht your on about, your using an old driver (80 series i'm guessing) and forcing 8xAA (BAD idea, set up profiles, you wouldn't want to go adding AA to SupCom and watch your GFX card die or soemthing)
Well I've downloaded a bunch of hi-res texture packs and... well, everything looks nice when I park next to it now, but the moire is still present.

Jakqui - am I right in assuming you don't have this problem? I'm wondering if I'm trying to fix something unfixable here!
#34 - Iron
I too have this moire Kev, with a 7600gt.
did you try adjusting the mip bias? it's pretty good on any track for me when set to -2.8 with 4xaa & 4xaf.
Don't have anything like that on my end - a pattern that resembles that moire only appears if I don't use anisotropic filtering.
#37 - Jakg
Quote from thisnameistaken :Jakg - am I right in assuming you don't have this problem? I'm wondering if I'm trying to fix something unfixable here!

The ONLY thing that's different is that i'm "forcing Mip Maps" on the third tab, but from what i've read that makes no difference anyway.

There is a bit of texture shimmering, but it's something that seems to plague nVidia cards - i thought they'd fixed that with the 8-series.
Attached images
Grabby1.jpg
Grabby2.jpg
Grabby3.jpg
Quote from Jakg :The ONLY thing that's different is that i'm "forcing Mip Maps" on the third tab, but from what i've read that makes no difference anyway.

There is a bit of texture shimmering, but it's something that seems to plague nVidia cards - i thought they'd fixed that with the 8-series.

Hmph! Your AA looks nicer than mine too.
Yea unfortunately nVidia cards - especially the 6x series - have quite ugly texture shimmering. The only way to get rid of it is to use extreme mip settings that blur the textures quite a lot (not that the sharpness is needed at that distance anyway). To get rid of it I personally put the negative mip bias to "clamp" in the driver panel as well as setting the mip bias adjustment to +0.3 in RivaTuner.
Quote from Jakg :TBH i don't have a clue waht your on about, your using an old driver (80 series i'm guessing) and forcing 8xAA (BAD idea, set up profiles, you wouldn't want to go adding AA to SupCom and watch your GFX card die or soemthing)

I am using XTreme-G 162.01 xp 32bit drivers for my GFXcard, should I stay away from using 8X AA?
Isn`t it safe, or ..what?
#42 - Jakg
Quote from thisnameistaken :Hmph! Your AA looks nicer than mine too.

No idea why, the convergence AA should pwn this. This isn't even my "High Quality" Profile

PS - I don't know why i'm helping with edits such as "Reason: I'd accidentally called Jakqui "Jakg" - corrected it." :P it might be a good idea to try nHancer - not only is it easier and less clunky to use, it explains what each option does and let you back stuff up, and it gives you more options than the standard CP does.

EDIT - WTF?! Since when did 160's give a tray icon?! I want my tray icon on my XtremeG 163's

Use 8xAA just fine, but it's a MUCH better idea to set up a profile for LFS and each game you want to add AA to, as not only do some apps go weird with AA, but also with a 6600GT if you try to play some uber-new game with 8xAA your FPS will plummet.

EDIT 2 - Andriod, Kev's got an 8800 - i could of sworn that the 8800 gave AA BETTER than ATi cards, and that they'd fixed the shimmering issue - if it's not just Kev being a dunce and forgetting AF then that makes the HD2900XT seem slightly nice.
Quote from Bean0 :Kev, try turning the Anisotropic Texture Filtering (2nd bottom option in your screenie) to on.

Hmm. It's stuck at "Off". Must need to switch something else to enable it...

Can't find anything that works.

Edit: Found it. I have to turn Texture Filtering to lower than "High" quality to enable texture filtering optimisation. It's a performance option, not a quality one.

If I put the mip bias in LFS to 0 it helps a lot, but then I lose all the definition in the textures, everything starts to look a bit cartoony.
FYI, I managed to get this pronounced effect that Kev is getting if I use AF and turn on "Anisotropic sample optimization".
Quote from thisnameistaken :Hmm. It's stuck at "Off". Must need to switch something else to enable it...

Can't help you there I'm afraid, ATI powah here for the moment at least.

Maybe try that app Jakqui mentioned ?
Quote from xaotik :FYI, I managed to get this pronounced effect that Kev is getting if I use AF and turn on "Anisotropic sample optimization".

I don't have that setting!
I would add hires texture packs (tracks, adverts, tyres, skins at 2048, tail lights, etc) and the real reflection mod
Attached images
LFS 2007-04-19 16-07-22-54.jpg
MSCH9.jpg
Quote from Jakg :No idea why, the convergence AA should pwn this. This isn't even my "High Quality" Profile

PS - I don't know why i'm helping with edits such as "Reason: I'd accidentally called Jakqui "Jakg" - corrected it." :P it might be a good idea to try nHancer - not only is it easier and less clunky to use, it explains what each option does and let you back stuff up, and it gives you more options than the standard CP does.

EDIT - WTF?! Since when did 160's give a tray icon?! I want my tray icon on my XtremeG 163's

Use 8xAA just fine, but it's a MUCH better idea to set up a profile for LFS and each game you want to add AA to, as not only do some apps go weird with AA, but also with a 6600GT if you try to play some uber-new game with 8xAA your FPS will plummet.

EDIT 2 - Andriod, Kev's got an 8800 - i could of sworn that the 8800 gave AA BETTER than ATi cards, and that they'd fixed the shimmering issue - if it's not just Kev being a dunce and forgetting AF then that makes the HD2900XT seem slightly nice.

I only play LFS so thats not a problem
Well, I play some others, but then I turn it on "program chosen" or something like that.
I canot chose AA or AF inside LFS, so therfor I have to do it this way.
And btw, if my computer melts...well then I knoe where you live :hide:
Quote from thisnameistaken :I don't have that setting!

Weird - it's visible in the horribly clunky new nVidia control panel if you go under "Manage 3d Settings" as long as it's in "advanced settings mode". However if it's not there then you'll definitely find it in the quite less clunky nHancer.

Normally in the nvidia control panel it should be grayed out if you're in "high quality" mode.
Request: Could someone write the "reverse" of this guide? That is, how to get the most fps out of a low-end system (like mine), without harming the appearance too much.

Guide - How To Make LFS Look Better.
(317 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG