The online racing simulator
chrome paint
(11 posts, started )
chrome paint
hi

is it possible to make chrome paint skin ? if yes , how to i do it in photoshop ?

here is a refrence picture .
#2 - kiste
it is not possible.
Smashed hopes in 3 minutes - must be a new record!
But he's right - not possible...
was really hoping for a yes here but oh well .... :]
Quote from kiste :it is not possible.

Chameleon (perscelent *fack grammar*) paint is possible ... Why not this ?
#6 - kiste
Quote from F1 mainiac :Chameleon (perscelent *fack grammar*) paint is possible ... Why not this ?

even that is not possible. What you mean is that you put more colours wich are close to each other on the car but in real a "chameleon" paint would look different from different viewer positions. Thats not possible on a 2d file. I know some people tried to make skins looke like that. But the colour doesnt change in any way when you go around with the cam. We only can make 2d files and therfor you cant make any chrome or chameleon paints. You can just make things look like. but chrome is in real just a glossy grey. so how you will make a glossy grey in lfs?

@eclipsed: thanks
Quote from kiste :even that is not possible. What you mean is that you put more colours wich are close to each other on the car but in real a "chameleon" paint would look different from different viewer positions. Thats not possible on a 2d file. I know some people tried to make skins looke like that. But the colour doesnt change in any way when you go around with the cam. We only can make 2d files and therfor you cant make any chrome or chameleon paints. You can just make things look like. but chrome is in real just a glossy grey. so how you will make a glossy grey in lfs?

@eclipsed: thanks

well , cool light gray will do the trick i think. and i think the only track that makes a car very shiny is aston.
Chrome paint is possible. Just requires some dds modding
I can give it a try tomorrow.

But if other paint types are wanted. Lynce has already created pearl and matte paint.
Not really...have to change the car shine in the cfg which only you see and you see on every car, same for any dds files, reflections etc.
A very shiny light grey car with modded reflections would look kinda chromey...locally, but just grey to others and you would see all cars as shiny-shiny.
That is true indeed, but the question of the thread is not "Can i make chrome paint to be visible online" it is "Is chrome paint possible to make?"
Ill start working on it this instant

edit01
Quick preveiw of what ive got so far.
Preveiw is in attached file.

edit02
Encountered a problem just now, due to LFS not giving me any ground/asphalt reflections the chrome paint will only be good on the mid to top section of the car. All else that is angled towards the ground is not chrome. Will keep testing to see if its possible.
- I'll be thankfull for any help.
Attached images
CR01.jpg
#11 - 5tag
Quote from Snusguru :That is true indeed, but the question of the thread is not "Can i make chrome paint to be visible online" it is "Is chrome paint possible to make?"

That's just hair splitting. You cannot modify skin files to force a gloss or chrome look on the paint. That's it!
What you can do is manipulate the reflection itself aka "carshine" value in the config file.

However this does equally apply to all the car's body paint, windows, wheels, lamps, number plates, wipers, open wheel suspensions, some roll cages, most of the steering wheel hubs, tacho-/speedometers, fire extinguishers and many things made of CFK like LX4/LX6 fenders, GTR center consoles, door panels!

Thus it will always look either stupid or nothing like chrome.

Quote from Snusguru :Encountered a problem just now, due to LFS not giving me any ground/asphalt reflections the chrome paint will only be good on the mid to top section of the car. All else that is angled towards the ground is not chrome. Will keep testing to see if its possible.
- I'll be thankfull for any help.

Well that's the least of your problems. From what I remember Lynce released various reflections that contained ground textures aswell.

However the reflections are generated statically, basically they just mirror the skybox (but I think skies and reflection files are independent so you can change one whilst keeping the other).

This becomes strikingly obvious in environments like Blackwood or South City with lots of track side objects, most importantly trees, buildings and of course bridges!
You can drive through the most rural places in South City as fast as you like - as long as you keep your car straight and your camera still you won't see anything going on in the reflections.

chrome paint
(11 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG