The online racing simulator
Warcraft 2 in Windows 7?
(26 posts, started )
#1 - Jakg
Warcraft 2 in Windows 7?
I've been playing Warcraft 3 in Windows 7 on my laptop recently and been getting quite into it (used to play it waaaay back when it came out). But Warcraft 3 is too hero based, as opposed to Warcraft 2 which was more unit-y.

However Warcraft 2 doesn't install in 7 and I keep hearing stuff about DOSBox which I don't understand at all.

Could someone help me get it installed please?
Maybe the god of the games don't want you to hurt yourself by losing at WCII? I haven't played it in years, but IIRC, this thing was bloody impossible to beat (okay, maybe I failed back then :tilt.

Besides, I like the heros in WCIII, it adds something to the game. Go pally go!

My bet is just that WCII is way too old to be installed on 7.
#4 - Jakg
Heroes are rubbish - it looses the whole "this is the enemy base now beat it" to "protect the wierd other hero who sucks"

Plus I like Humans vs Orcs. Not Humans vs Undead, or Undead vs Orcs
#5 - arco
DOSBox is an emulator with DOS, which you can use to run old DOS based programs in. Should be pretty straight forward to get it running if you read up on it.

http://www.dosbox.com/

Wasn't there a Windows version also of Warcraft 2?
#6 - Jakg
Quote from arco :Wasn't there a Windows version also of Warcraft 2?

Yes, but it wouldn't install in Vista x32 - So I doubt that it'd work in 7 x64.
Quote from Jakg :Yes, but it wouldn't install in Vista x32 - So I doubt that it'd work in 7 x64.

Uh, I have Warcraft 2 installed on Vista 64 and it works just fine. You're looking for Warcraft 2: Battle.net Edition (BNE) and definitely not the original DOS version.
#8 - Jakg
Aha - thanks, will try that.

Have Warcraft 2 on CD legally - but not quite sure where I got the last file from...
warcraft 2? is this from the same company that made world of warcraft? can i get a features list?
Yes it's from Blizzard, it's also what, 10 years old?
Warcraft 2, good old times. I used to play it very much - when it came out. Interesting game, anyways. You could download Virtual Machine and install XP on ur PC. Set the amount of ram on it - as Warcraft is a old game, 200mb of ram for XP and it runs fine. I dont know if u get me right here. I have this Microsoft Virtual Machine installed and it works very fine. Im on Win7 but i can also run XP in "window" or even "full-screen". I use my virtual thingy for PHP learning stuff.
Hazaky is telling u nice things, but why XP?

Better install MS-DOS 6.22 in VirtualBox (both are free).
#13 - Jakg
Quote from pb32000 :Yes it's from Blizzard, it's also what, 10 years old?

It was made in '95 so it's actually 14 years old...
Blimey yer that is oldskool. I had Warcraft 1 once upon a time which I guess was on DOS, can't remember really. Good times though.
I bought WarCraft back in the day. Was good fun, but the sequel did improve things a long a way. Everything happened much faster, which meant you could finally get an adrenaline rush going during battles, and super high res 640x480 graphics meant you could see what you were doing. Plus selecting 9 units at once instead of just 4 was a big step up. I couldn't get into number 3 as much either, had some nice touches but I just didn't find it addictive.
Went to my mates house yesterday, couldnt believe he had WC1. So cool and "oldskool". Unbeliavable how much different its to WC3:FT, its like walking squares xD
#17 - Jakg
Found Warcraft 2 Battlenet Edition - installed fine on Vista x64 - Installed but yet to run on 7...
-
(TNARICK) DELETED by SamH : Illegal
#18 - S.82
O.o i've got Warcraft: Orcs & Humans, Warcraft II: Tides of darkness, Warcraft II: Beyond the dark portal, Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos, Warcraft III: The frozen throne. All oringinal discs, the only ones i can't get to work one way or another in windows 7 are Warcraft II (regular and expansion). I have the first game installed in Win98SE in Virtual PC 2007, warcraft III (reg and expansion) both install and run fine in windows 7 with XP compatability mode. been trying today to get Warcraft II to install and play. so far, it's just throwing errors in Win 98 SE in virtual PC and says yada yada 64 bit when trying to run it in windows.

can't get it to work with dosbox, virtual pc with win98se or any other way i've tried. (also couldn't get it to work in ubuntu yet, but still trying there)

!!!! got warcraft 2 working!

had to install the game in Windows 98 SE in Virtual PC, share a folder and copy it to the host machine (i put it in C:\) then install dosbox, set up the config for dosbox and run it AWESOME!

for the config file, you need to go to the bottom and add:
mount c C:\WAR2
mount d D:\ -t cdrom (replace D:\ with your cdrom's drive letter)
c:
war2

KAPOW! Works!!

for lan gaming:

in the config file, search for ipx, change it from false to true

at bottom, add:

host machine:
c:
ipxnet startserver
war2

extra pc's:
c:
ipxnet connect [ip address] (ie: ipxnet connect 192.168.1.5)
war2

really sweet old game, so happy to have it working on Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit!
step by step warcraft 2 on windows 7
Quote from S.82 :O.o i've got Warcraft: Orcs & Humans, Warcraft II: Tides of darkness, Warcraft II: Beyond the dark portal, Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos, Warcraft III: The frozen throne. All oringinal discs, the only ones i can't get to work one way or another in windows 7 are Warcraft II (regular and expansion). I have the first game installed in Win98SE in Virtual PC 2007, warcraft III (reg and expansion) both install and run fine in windows 7 with XP compatability mode. been trying today to get Warcraft II to install and play. so far, it's just throwing errors in Win 98 SE in virtual PC and says yada yada 64 bit when trying to run it in windows.

can't get it to work with dosbox, virtual pc with win98se or any other way i've tried. (also couldn't get it to work in ubuntu yet, but still trying there)

!!!! got warcraft 2 working!

had to install the game in Windows 98 SE in Virtual PC, share a folder and copy it to the host machine (i put it in C:\) then install dosbox, set up the config for dosbox and run it AWESOME!

for the config file, you need to go to the bottom and add:
c:
war2

KAPOW! Works!!

for lan gaming:

in the config file, search for ipx, change it from false to true

at bottom, add:

host machine:
c:
ipxnet startserver
war2

extra pc's:
c:
ipxnet connect [ip address] (ie: ipxnet connect 192.168.1.5)
war2

really sweet old game, so happy to have it working on Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit!

i know this is probably going to make me sound like an idiot but can u go step by step on how to share the files and everything from virtual pc to dosbox... i have warcraft 2 and i am getting ready to go to iraq and would like to play warcraft 2 on my laptop..... please help me out.
#20 - wien
Quote from mutt107 :warcraft 2? is this from the same company that made world of warcraft? can i get a features list?

Christ I feel old. There are actual people walking around and typing on the internet that were born after Warcraft was released.
Hey there,

it's been a while and you probably found a way to fix your issue, but I'll post anyway in case it's useful for others.

When I tried installing Warcraft II, I encountered an issue, pop up of a '' can't run in full screen mode. Gotta terminate'', even with dosbox got same problem, tried changing the cmd settings, nothing worked.

What I did to make it run on windows 7 :

step 1 - disable graphic card (control panel) and it made it possible to run the installation without the error pop

step 2 - install the game (downloaded version) and mounted it through DAEMON Tools Lite (it replaces the cd)

step 3 - installed DOSbos 0.74, re-enable the graphic card, reboot pc

step 4 - run DOSbox, make sure the CD drive is mounted (through DAEMON),

type in (well, whatever your cd drive is)

" mount g g:/ -t cdrom " enter
" mount c c:/war2 " enter (this has to be the drive where you installed the game)
" c:/war2 " enter
"war2 " enter

and then for full screen : hit Atl + Enter = then you got your Warcraft II running under Windows 7 without too much fuzz, without installing a virtual machine.

Hope it helps.
http://www.server.war2.ru
There's actually a pvpgn server for Warcraft II still thriving today at http://www.server.war2.ru. You can also download the game for free there and I'm pretty sure it's windows 7 compatible.
downlods from a .ru address... sounds legit
I only install software from .ru addresses. Same as I only download movies from host names that end with fbi.gov or mpaa.com
you say that like you expect me to be surprised in spite of your track record of horrible computing decisions

Warcraft 2 in Windows 7?
(26 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG