The online racing simulator
G25 being discontinued? Wait for new G(27?) or buy G25 at reduced price?
So it seems the G25 is slowly being discontinued... but I can still find it for a lower price. $217 approx. I have always wanted to buy one but never had the $ to spend $300 on a wheel. Well now I do and I find this information. I'm sure logitech will come out with a new wheel but is it worth waiting? Or does the G25 cover all bases well?
Waiting is always the best choice in great deals. When/If the new wheel comes out then maybe u want to get some more money and buy the new one. Or regret that u didnt wait for the new one. I recommend u to just wait a bit.

In fact, i waited a half year for my great deal - graphics card and monitor, cant be happier with the stuff i got for low price and seriously huge perfomance
Nothing will change the fact that the G25 is a good wheel and a solid purchase. If a new wheel is introduced that is better for a similar price, or as good but cheaper, then it may not offer the same value it currently does, but it is still just as good when you're sat at home with it.

I've not seen any hard facts about the G27 yet, so I wouldn't worry about it yet. How much better it's going to be we don't know, but it's going to be more expensive. Until the first reviews are out, we won't know if it offers the same kind of value that a G25 does at it's current price.
Thanks for the replies! My issue is that both of these arguments have gone through my head about it... I could wait and see and (heres the part that makes me want to jump on it now) hopefully the G25 will still be available if I don't want the extra features or price of the G27 (I don't know that will be the number, but one site suggested).

On the other hand, the G25 does do everything I want in a driving wheel and has PC and PS3 compatability so I can use it with both LFS and GT5.

I can't think of any additional features logitech could possibly add to make any wheel better... Only better build quality. Which most of the time build quality goes in the opposite direction.

I wasn't even planning on buying this yet but it being discontinued on Newegg alarmed me and made me start thinking that maybe I should get one while I still can.
Well it's not like the G25 cannot be improved. The latest Fanatec wheel is quieter, has stronger feedback, adjustable/ergonomic pedals with a load cell on the brake.
Anyone _KNOW_ if the G27 will have different base and mounting size? If I buy one I want it to fit my custom rig made for G25. Also the Shifter module, will it be a different size? My handbrake is placed specifically to accomodate the G25 shifter size.
Quote from JasonJ :Anyone _KNOW_ if the G27 will have different base and mounting size? If I buy one I want it to fit my custom rig made for G25. Also the Shifter module, will it be a different size? My handbrake is placed specifically to accomodate the G25 shifter size.

I dont know about the wheel, but i believe the shifter may be the same size.
This is all speculation ofcourse, as there are no official pictures, or news on whether the G27 actualy exists. A picture is below of what the G27's shifter is apparently going to look like.

tnx La Frenchy
No problemo mon ami.
Well I ended up getting the G25, and I love it! Okay so there are a few quirks such as the cheap feeling shifter but for what it is and what it costs, I think its a great wheel.

Doesn't fully work with Gran Turismo 5 on PS3 as I had hoped (and as they indicate on their site!) but maybe its because its Prologue and the full game will have better G25 support. The 6 speed works, actually, but the clutch does nothing. So you just row the car through the gears without worrying about lifting or using the clutch. More entertaining than using the DualShock but I wanted the same sim feel as in LFS.

Now I just gotta try and not suck at driving in LFS so much.
Quote from guitarman19853 :Well I ended up getting the G25, and I love it! Okay so there are a few quirks such as the cheap feeling shifter but for what it is and what it costs, I think its a great wheel.

Doesn't fully work with Gran Turismo 5 on PS3 as I had hoped (and as they indicate on their site!) but maybe its because its Prologue and the full game will have better G25 support. The 6 speed works, actually, but the clutch does nothing. So you just row the car through the gears without worrying about lifting or using the clutch. More entertaining than using the DualShock but I wanted the same sim feel as in LFS.

Now I just gotta try and not suck at driving in LFS so much.

i have seen somewhere that you have to push a button at the start of the race to get it to work, dunno which though.

EDIT: copied from another site

The only other thing you need to worry about is enabling the clutch during each race. Here's the procedure:

Begin the race.
Once "Start" goes away and you gain control of the car, press the Triangle button once.
You must do this at the begining of each race.
G25 has no "triangle button"

hehe
I'm pretty sure the black buttons on the shifter correspond to the PS3's "shape buttons". I know the bottom black button was definitely "accept" in the game which would make sense since the bottom button is X
Im pretty sure that everything works on the G25 with GT5. Dont forget though. The clutch pedal wont work in cars that dont have a clutch pedal in real life, like the R35 GTR, or so i heard.
I have been wondering whether to go for G25 or wait for G27 lately. But I have decided just to get the G25 from ncix.ca for $225 CAD as I think the G27 is going to be a fair bit more than this when it comes out here.
I'd say buy the G25. G27 comes out and it might have bugs,but with G25,bugs have been solved. I'm not sure,because G27 based on G25,but it has more components. If you like the LED's then you can buy Leo Bodnar's SLI-M board($75+shipping?) at http://leobodnar.com/ . At the moment he's taking a break or something,I recommend - ask him via his email.
I just got the G25, and im happy with it, best wheel i've had. I already saw the reviews for the 27 and frankly im in no hurry to get it, i mean i would like the new shifter, but everything else is the same, other then having different gears in the wheel witch i cant see or hear a diffrance in, an LED shift/tech light, and 4 more buttons it's the same wheel (that and the pedals are ajustable) i really dont see a need to upgrade, im happy, i got my G25 for $170 brand new, $214.99 - my friend buying my DFGT off me... im happy, i say get the G25 cheap now and wait untill logitech comes out with a wheel that has an E-brake to upgrade... thats really all i think it's missing. lol

G25 being discontinued? Wait for new G(27?) or buy G25 at reduced price?
(17 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG