The online racing simulator
LFS diesel car
(35 posts, started )
LFS diesel car
Firstly, sorry if this is the wrong place, been searching for ages and cant find what im looking for.!

SO... I was wondering if there are any mods to make the clutch work like a diesel car? Ya know, so when you lift the clutch it will pick up a little speed?

And a way for this to work with the current cars?

Thanks for your help/.
#2 - Jakg
Im not quite sure what you mean by "clutch work like a diesel car"?

The clutch in a diesel works in the same way as a petrol car...
Well with petrol when you lift the clutch you have to use the accelerator as well, but with diesel you dont, you simply lift the clutch then apply the accelarator
It's called torque. Get LFS-Tweak.
Quote from gazaweb :Well with petrol when you lift the clutch you have to use the accelerator as well, but with diesel you dont, you simply lift the clutch then apply the accelarator

Not true - using the clutch and throttle with a petrol or diesel car are identical. I am saying this after 28 years of driving both, and a major part of my business is repairing clutches on gear box on diesels and petrol cars. Using clutch and throttle are a smooth transfer between both.
Quote from gazaweb :Firstly, sorry if this is the wrong place, been searching for ages and cant find what im looking for.!

SO... I was wondering if there are any mods to make the clutch work like a diesel car? Ya know, so when you lift the clutch it will pick up a little speed?

And a way for this to work with the current cars?

Thanks for your help/.

This may just be a wild assumption but.... I take it your not old enough to legally drive yet?
Quote from gazaweb :Well with petrol when you lift the clutch you have to use the accelerator as well, but with diesel you dont, you simply lift the clutch then apply the accelarator

its just down to idle torque (in general) being much higher on a diesel. But you can get almost any car rolling at idle, even my puny 1.0 petrol. Not the best to do for the clutch and/or all the belts tho.

Diesel cars have bigger flywheel, they usually run about at 1000 rpm at idle while most of non-diesel cars do about 500, and also diesel cars have much more torque at lower rpms...
You can drive non-diesel car just like diesel one just its a bit harder to keep engine running
think i got it wrong, and yes, im legal to drive, only reason i asked this was because my driving instructors car is desil and acts diffrently to my peterol car
Most modern diesel cars use DMF (duel mass flywheels) to prevent drive train shock (serves as a shock absorber), that is when the gear train takes up the diesel engine's higher torque. It is easier to kill the diesel engine in lower gears if you do not do a very smooth transfer between lower gears, like 1ste to 2nd. It is something that is a bit irritating if you are used to a gasser. You may feel in the diesel car a slight shake when you change gears, if you are not used to controlling it. Diesel flywheels in general are heavier than gassers'.

But mostly, the biggest difference you may feel and enjoy with a diesel, is pull-away torque, maybe the sound of the engine, and being able to stay in higher gears. Maybe one day LFS will give us a nice VW or Audi TDI - the best diesel engines currently available.
Btw, I think the slight increase in speed that you feel when you change gears with a diesel car, is when the DMF flywheel kickbacks after picking up (storing) the initial torque - very perceptive of you.
The main reason for a diesel car having "more torque" down low is that the engine is fed more fuel if rpm tries to drop below the set idle speed. Basically the diesel pump / electronics is applying throttle for you.

OP: Maybe someone could write a script or something that'd read the engine rpm and adjust your throttle input accordingly
Quote from Huru-aito :The main reason for a diesel car having "more torque" down low is that the engine is fed more fuel if rpm tries to drop below the set idle speed. Basically the diesel pump / electronics is applying throttle for you.

Not really true, the higher torque at lower rpm is because of the slower diesel combustion process that releases energy over a longer period. Any car's (with or without electronics, even old carburator cars) engine's idle speed is controlled the way you describe above - but idling and torque has nothing to do with each other.
In other words - consider a diesel car as a weightlifter - it's strong,with a lot of muscles,but $#!t in running fast!
A Diesel powered Scirocco MkII please.
In a simulation, power is power and torque is torque, regardless of what "fuel" the "engine" is "burning".
You can replicate diesel engines in LFS using tweak software, I hope the Scirocco on LFS comes as a diesel, it's a much better type of engine.
Quote from Weasley123 :I hope the Scirocco on LFS comes as a diesel, it's a much better type of engine.

Nope - it's already known that it will be the TSi model,also I recall somewhere a post from Scawan that he does not intend to implement a diesel car in LFS at all.
And I still don't understand this obsession about diesels and singing the glory songs about it being better. It's not - everywhere in racing where diesel wins,it's just because of different technical regulations compared with petrol engines,with equal regulations diesel can win only eco-race maybe. Diesel is a work/transport engine,not racing one.
Quote from Weasley123 :You can replicate diesel engines in LFS using tweak software, I hope the Scirocco on LFS comes as a diesel, it's a much better type of engine.

Apart from the slowness. The cancer inducing fuel. The smell. The sound. The weight.
Quote from tristancliffe :Apart from the slowness. The cancer inducing fuel. The smell. The sound. The weight.

HAHAHA

Modern diesels are none of the above - do a simple google search or drive one.
Quote from Eclipsed :Nope - it's already known that it will be the TSi model,also I recall somewhere a post from Scawan that he does not intend to implement a diesel car in LFS at all.
And I still don't understand this obsession about diesels and singing the glory songs about it being better. It's not - everywhere in racing where diesel wins,it's just because of different technical regulations compared with petrol engines,with equal regulations diesel can win only eco-race maybe. Diesel is a work/transport engine,not racing one.

Quite a few well-known races have been won by diesel power cars. Le Mans, Paris Dakar. Diesels do have advantages in racing - better torque, durability, lower fuel consumption (is mostly why the Audi won at Le Mans).

But never mind that, modern diesels are just so much fun to drive.
Quote from Eclipsed :everywhere in racing where diesel wins,it's just because of different technical regulations compared with petrol engines,with equal regulations diesel can win only eco-race maybe.

Quote from Jettascuba :Quite a few well-known races have been won by diesel power cars. Le Mans, Paris Dakar. Diesels do have advantages in racing - better torque, durability, lower fuel consumption (is mostly why the Audi won at Le Mans).

Please don't start these diesel glory songs,as non of your examples have equal engine specifications for both fuel types. Few years before in LM24h engine specs allowed diesels to have 5.5 liter turbocharged engines,while petrol engines allowed 3.5 liter while turbocharged (with smaller restrictor plates too) or 5.5 normally aspirated. Latest specs are decreased to 3.5 / 2.0 accordingly. I don't know Dakar specs though,but I'm in deep doubt that they're much different in comparision. I can't see these numbers equal,call me blind if you see it...
power is directly proportial to torque x rpm

torque is diectly proportional to engine displacement

Speed is directly proportional to power (function of rpm)

Diesel cars run at very low rpms, and is thus are very much power and speed restricted.

In order for diesel cars to develop the same power (thus speed) as petrol cars, a higher engine displacement and less restriction are required.

Thus to make a diesel and petrol car indentical in terms of performance, the diesel car needs an higher engine displacement. The disadvantage is that the power to mass ratio gets reduced. The petrol cars have a distinct advantage as they are lighter.

Saying that the diesel car has an unfair advantage is not true, as these cars in your example are identical in terms of power.

I not think anyone will consider that a giant earth remover with an engine displacement of 20 liters will have an unfair advantage at Le Mans...

We can argue maybe about what is the sense in using diesel cars for racing, seeing that much more engineering and money need to go into these cars to make them more competitive. Well, less pollution, better efficiency, better torque - making for better cornering characteristics and less speed drop on inclines. The worse mass obviously require stiffer suspensions, cancelling out some of the better handling characteristics.

Evententually - diesels, love them or hate them. But diesel cars are the future, more so than hybrids.
Quote from Jettascuba :less pollution

Yet another invalid argument. I don't know the emission levels of modern cars though,but diesels always had more toxic emissions. If it has changed these days with all those filters or whatever is used there,still there is one much cleaner alternative,a replacement for petrol - ethanol (practically same engine). Everyone,who has been a bit alert in chemistry lessons at scholl,will know,that burning ethanol,you will get only CO2 and water as sideproducts of energy,of course under engine compression there will be other materials as sideproducts,but still it is much cleaner than the stuff coming out of exhaust of a diesel engine,even if biodiesel is used.

And cars of future? Well,I don't want to live in world,where every car sounds like a tracktor...

PS. Basically because diesels run out of breath by reaching RPMs where petrol engines actually start to get sporty,diesels have this huge displacement advantage?
I say +1 but only, when almost everything in the engines are modelled right

otherwise it would not matter

LFS diesel car
(35 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG