The online racing simulator
adjustable shine
(28 posts, started )
adjustable shine
how about adjustable "shinyness" on the cars.. like a matte paint effect on the one end of the scale?

just a thought, as i really like the look on matte-painted cars!
You can adjust this globally in the cfg file, I don't recall the variable name currently - but you can search for it on the forum.
#3 - Jakg
"Car Shine" is the one you want
ahh.. nice! can this be compared to matte paint? or is it just general shine of the car? windows, body, wheels, etc?

edit: never mind.. i found out for myself.. too bad the body isn't excluded from the rest of the car, and vice versa!
lol, like those ricers with nothing but primer on their cars?
soooo.. matte paint is rice as well now is it? hummer, do you see anything in my post about primer?

if a car shines too much, that's rice, and if a car has matte paint, that's rice too? ffs, matte paint is ratrod inspired most of all! and i can't see one thing that is rice about it..

can't people like different things without being labeled "ricer"?

i felt embarassed on behalf of the guy who asked for neon though (if that was serious..), but i'm not excactly asking for anything similar..

btw, am i the only one that is sick and tired of these people calling everything and everyone rice? f'in sick of this.. (sorry for the baaaaad mood)
What do you mean by Matt Paint? Do you mean Matt's paint? If you mean matte paint, then that is rice IMO. Why would anyone want a matte paint, I can't understand. I honestly don't care what people do to their cars. I just think it is ricey to have matte paint, no matter who started it. If it started with ratrods, then ricers arent very original.
ricers isn't ontopic here.. as you seem to believe..

and yes, it was mattE paint i was referring to, and if you're not going to do anything else but complain on how rice you find something, pls don't post at all..

can't be THAT difficult holding back some of your flaming for once!
I like playing LFS without any car shine from time to time for two reasons:
1. You can really see the work people put on skins clearly without any of it being obscured by the environmental mapping (especially if you've got a high res version of a skin).
2. I like the retro look - sort of like the early 3d vector graphics games.

I wish we had more control over which parts of the skin are matte or shinier than others with a specular map layer - I guess we'll probably get that sometime in the future.
Matte finish is nice togheter with shiny parts. Not on a car but it would be nice on a helmet. Imagine a flame design where the flame is shiny and the rest is matte. That would make the flames stand out even more. But it's not possible with jpg skins i'm affraid.
Quote from Primoz :But it's not possible with jpg skins i'm affraid.

JPEG has nothing to do with it, it's a file format. If LFS supported specular maps you could have this. Practically you'd have to make a simple b&w image where white is "as shiny as it gets" and black is matte (and yes, inbetween shades are values of shininess), and assign this as the specular map that goes with the skin you want to use.
That way you could have "metallic colours" look different than normal colours and liveries like the ones popular in F1 cars nowadays (for example McLaren or that new dutch team I always have to google the name... Spyker, yes), it doesn't necessarily have to be matte. As far as I know, rFactor currently supports this for skins.
Quote from Primoz :Matte finish is nice togheter with shiny parts. Not on a car but it would be nice on a helmet. Imagine a flame design where the flame is shiny and the rest is matte. That would make the flames stand out even more. But it's not possible with jpg skins i'm affraid.

Kimi raikkonens (yes probably spelled wrong - i dont care) helmet was or still is matte black.

Which means he has a ricer helmet lol.
Matte helmets I like, but I don't like matte cars.
woah! hold it there mr hummer! don't you know matte helmets are extremely rice?

i hope you understand that taste differs, and that you shouldn't flame down people just for having different taste?
...that "everything i don't like must be rice" attitude is pissin' more people off everyday aye?...when i use this in LFS would i possible get better fps?
Quote from Ricerguy :...that "everything i don't like must be rice" attitude is pissin' more people off everyday aye?...when i use this in LFS would i possible get better fps?

All too true, Ricerguy. Anything that has a wing and bodykit is considered ricer. Even when some of us actually pay as much as 10,000AUD to kit up our Nissan Skylines for REAL aerodynamic performance.

Anyway, adjustable shine isn't such a bad idea, though personally I wish all LFS cars were coated with shiny metallic or pearlescent paint schemes. +1.

Oh, need I remind everyone that more than half of the global population lives on rice?
Flaming? Flaming? Who am I flaming? I did not call anyone a ricer, I did not call anyone stupid, how is it possible that I am flaming anyone?
you called, something i like, rice.. iow, you saw me as a ricer.. if this wasn't your intention, put your words a different way, or make it clearer what you're saying!

sorry if i'm too touchy when someone yells rice, but that's just the way this forum goes atm, since someone always has to put their words that way...
RICE!!!!!

Only kidding lol. I dont think matte paint is rice but if turning off reflection would increse fps then it might be good option for some people of lower spec PC's
The only reason one would functionaly use matte paint on a car is to reduce or eliminate reflections, such as for stealth. That's why military vehicles are painted the way they are.
Racing cars aren't really shiny either, they are kinda matte. There was a shiny car in the belcar and it really was weird to see.

I like the idea of having a shininess factor in skins (if the maximum isn't too shiny so it can't blind). So I could make my XFG bumpers ugly matte and the rest normal.
Hummer; Seen those rice fighterjets the USAF has?

I like jap cars, and it keeps pissing me off when people call jap cars rice-rides just cause they're from Japan! I would be more proud to drive around in a "Rice" jap car, than in an Am-car which takes up half of teh dang road and has aerodynamics like a brick...

sooo, ontopic: I would like to see some matte-painted cars in LFS too. Would be really nice to have a matte-black xrt

Tahtz rice, yo'
-
Devil
Reflection, gloss, spec maps?
Hello,

are reflections, specularity, glossiness handled numerically through the cfg file alone, or can we edit their maps directly? I don't have LFS on this computer, but I think I saw images that looked like spec maps where LFS was installed (within some sub-folders). I only have LFS Viewer on this computer. I can see images under the maps_info folder that look like attribute maps, but they're in jpg format. They can't be normal maps. What are they, and can we directly edit maps other than the diffuse maps and upload them? This would give us more control in creating skins with variable amounts of everything.

Thanks!

adjustable shine
(28 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG