The online racing simulator
Typing in russian with a keyboard
Hello guys,

I've been playing LFS for a long time so i'm not a noob, but i have a question: Can I type in Russian without having to use the mouse to press the individual keys? Sometimes i need to type a message to a Russian person but i have to do it with the mouse, slowly (unless I remember the part of the sentences of course). And no, copy + paste does not come into play, if i try to do it from one side to the other (and vice versa) i get instead question marks (sometimes other symbols).

Any help appreciated.

Warhead
Yes you can, choose the language path you want to use, for example, if you want to type chinese, choose a chinese platform and start typing. no invidual key press is required

You can choose it by pressing CTRL, while chattering. ( Just wanted to be exact )
Quote from UnknownMaster21 :Yes you can, choose the language path you want to use, for example, if you want to type chinese, choose a chinese platform and start typing. no invidual key press is required

You can choose it by pressing CTRL, while chattering. ( Just wanted to be exact )

More exactly? "Choose the language path" I did choose Cyrillic. Changing my default keyboard layout to russian changes in Windows but not in LFS. So?
I think you need to set a system property. At least in XP that is how you have to do it.

Control Panel... Regional and Language Options...

Under the "Advanced" tab there is an option "Select a language to match the language version of the non-Unicode programs you wish to use". If you select Russian in there, then LFS should accept Russian keyboard input.

It's not very helpful, because you need to reboot after changing this. It's so obvious that Microsoft could have created a simple interface to allow you to set this for each program or on the fly, but it seems to me they implemented it in this crude and annoying way, to just about allow people to type in their own language but encourage migration to Unicode.
#5 - Nilex
I'm having the same problem as our distinctive-difference-between-username-and-racename polish mate here. Specifically, the sparingly used copy/paste question marks which i always presumed was caused by my substantial registry fixes in that area for another Win XP unrelated problem . So thanks for the info
And to add a little something - it is same crappo procedure in win7, only the tab is name far less intuitive. Just like the entire OS is for that matter.

Edit: After some fiddling about with settings and stuff i found the procedure that works without the need for a restart every time. First, find out what is your key bind setting for switching between input languages under regional and language options... Default should be Left Alt + Shift. I recommend you put Language bar on the taskbar (right click on taskbar - toolbars). Press key combo and you should see the change now, real-time. This ony works for the programs in the active window, unless you change it on the desktop without an active window - then programs are started with active input language selected. That is way i recommended that you put lang bar on the taskbar - to avoid confusion which is active. Change should be visible as you switch between windows with different set languages. Now for the actual procedure:

Win7: do same as Scawen mentioned, select Russian but don't reboot. Run LFS, alt+shift until Cyrillic appears. Done deal. If not, try reboot. If still not then wait few moments... That's all i did when i went to test it on my main PC with XP!

WinXP: Here in LFS i had only Central European and Latin 1 so i went to add Russian like i did on win7 but to my suprise there was a whole array of Russian this, Russian that, Cyrillic this and whatnot. So i selected a few to be able to select them in LFS but it required not only a reboot but install CD as well. Fek that i said and leave it for you to try

Don't know if this will work with copy/paste ???s yet, but typing is OK.
Quote from Scawen :I think you need to set a system property. At least in XP that is how you have to do it.

Control Panel... Regional and Language Options...

Under the "Advanced" tab there is an option "Select a language to match the language version of the non-Unicode programs you wish to use". If you select Russian in there, then LFS should accept Russian keyboard input.

It's not very helpful, because you need to reboot after changing this. It's so obvious that Microsoft could have created a simple interface to allow you to set this for each program or on the fly, but it seems to me they implemented it in this crude and annoying way, to just about allow people to type in their own language but encourage migration to Unicode.

I have Win7. Quite agree with those last sentences. I guess they made it because they can.

Quote from Nilex :distinctive-difference-between-username-and-racename polish mate

I was thinking of NFS:MW when making the username. My nickname was made up when thinking about missiles

Quote from Nilex :Specifically, the sparingly used copy/paste question marks which i always presumed was caused by my substantial registry fixes in that area for another Win XP unrelated problem . So thanks for the info

It happens maybe because the character codepages are different between LFS and standard Windows [XP - 7, dont have older versions]

Quote from Nilex :Win7: do same as Scawen mentioned, select Russian but don't reboot. Run LFS, alt+shift until Cyrillic appears. Done deal. If not, try reboot. If still not then wait few moments... That's all i did when i went to test it on my main PC with XP!

I am gonna test that and gonna report back if it works.

Edit: It does work but you need to add russian to the language settings in Windows. It's ALT+SHIFT ingame. Thank you very much. Thread closed.
You could also try to write your message into a online russian keyboard and paste it into the game. I know this is not the best way, but it works.
Quote from MichaelJordan :You could also try to write your message into a online russian keyboard and paste it into the game. I know this is not the best way, but it works.

The problem has been fixed a long time ago but thank you for the suggestion.
This should now work more easily in Test Patch 0.7B7
There is no need to set the "Language for non-Unicode programs" as LFS is no longer a non-unicode program.
You still have to select a Cyrillic input language (e.g. Russian) before typing or pasting Cyrillic text.
https://www.lfs.net/forum/thread/97772

Typing in russian with a keyboard
(9 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG