The online racing simulator
LFS diesel car
(35 posts, started )
well that escalated quickly!
Well It is simpler to destroy the diesel engine in reduced gears if you do not do a very smooth transfer between reduced gears, like 1st to 2nd. It is something that is a bit aggravating if you are used to a gasser.You may experience in the diesel car a minor tremble when you change gears if you are not used, to managing it.
San mateo personal trainer
I've never understood that. I drive a lot of petrol and diesel cars, both automatic and manual, both standard and 'tuned'. And I've never felt this rumble. I've never suffered "diesel run on" or whatever people call it. I've never "destroyed a diesel in reduced gears". As far as I can tell, they are the same. One has more torque, but less revs. The other has less torque but more revs. But the gearing cancels out most of the difference (other than diesel engines being heavier in most cases), so the end effect is just "a car".

Do people really find one type more difficult or complicated? Are those people slightly retarded?
Diesel...
...engines are really all of these things:

heavy, complex - mostly turbo-charged beasts.

require ever more filters

have been given an artificial advantage in some markets due to fuel-tax regulations (Germany, to name one where diesel fuel is sold cheaper than gas)

upsides: diesel has higher energy-density. That's why you run for longer on a full tank.

Modern diesels have been direct-injected for about 20(?) years. Taking advantage when cruising at low revs and/or low loads. Petrols are just recently starting to play catch-up on that technical aspect.

Last but not least: Because they are so lazy in producing good torque at low revs. they provide a good alternative for heavier cars and commercial vehicles that would otherwise require massive petrol engines (and their fuel bills) that would then largely remain unused in their higher revs (since what you really want is a good intermittent acceleration like 30mph to ~ 110mph in you large limousine, in a straight line (Autobahn, anyone?) rather than knife-edge, "sports"-handling and instant (=nervous) throttle-reactions that you get with high-displacement N/As.

Downside is: The good torque means the transmission needs at least the same beef as does that big gas-NA engine, thus got to be built bigger and "heavier"-duty in order not to fall apart the instant you get going.

So I say: for endurance prototype racing, sparing big gasoline-NAs against Turbo-Diesels might just make sense (& be fun). Just like the stuff that has benefitted some marques in RL racing.

My 2 cents.
I made a few diesel engines for LFS, It's quite hard to get it right but it's good fun to drive, and it can sound pretty amazing actually. (Of course adjusting the sound so it sounds like a diesel)
Quote from Dennis93 :I made a few diesel engines for LFS, It's quite hard to get it right but it's good fun to drive, and it can sound pretty amazing actually. (Of course adjusting the sound so it sounds like a diesel)

Hey buddy, got any downloadable example for demo license?
Since when does S2 have diesel cars?
RAC definitely sound like one

LFS diesel car
(35 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG