The online racing simulator
Suggestion - G force affects driver (darkening view)
If I have heard, the G-force affects not only the external physics of the driver (head movement).

Also affects the internal 'state' of the driver, there are some effects like:
>> Greyout - a loss of color vision
>> Tunnel vision - loss of peripheral vision, retaining only the center vision
>> Blackout - a complete loss of vision but retaining consciousness.
>> G-LOC - where consciousness is lost.

I have thought that maybe when hitting something (a great crash), the effects come to the driver.. like a blackout could happen.
Or even a g-loc, then the driver should reset the car or go to the boxes (this would be harder to obtain probably because another car could hit and flip-out the first, accidented, car).
Also when turning at high G's there would be a greyout as strong as the G force. And also the tunnel vision sometimes, if u do a high breaking or a fast acceleration (also proportional to the G force).
Using a 'vignette effect' and some blur would make this probably easy to achieve.

This improvement could make the game more interesting to players and even get more players wanting the game.

Best Regards
Quote :Under increasing positive g-force, blood in the body will tend to move from the head toward the feet. For higher intensity or longer duration, this can manifest progressively as:

I don't think this really applies to cornering with a car. I don't think such post processing effects are necessary.
This sort of thing cannot really happen in a racing car. Loss of vision and consciousness is caused by the blood not flowing into the brain and only a force that is "pushing on one's head" can make the blood flow from the head to feet. Cornering and braking forces in a car push driver's body left/right or forward/backwards, not up/down so they cannot cause any severe flow of blood away from the brain.
Unless they replace FBM with a fighter aircraft
Quote from MadCatX :This sort of thing cannot really happen in a racing car. Loss of vision and consciousness is caused by the blood not flowing into the brain and only a force that is "pushing on one's head" can make the blood flow from the head to feet. Cornering and braking forces in a car push driver's body left/right or forward/backwards, not up/down so they cannot cause any severe flow of blood away from the brain.

While I don't like this suggestion, I may say this was an issue on IndyCar (or something similar, it all sound similar to me xD) due to the huge G's a car can sustain on an oval track.
The serious effects of G-force only comes in when centripetal and centrifugal forces are involved (i.e. force act on the body head-to-toe or vice versa; only circular motions would cause this). The forward-rearward and sideways forces are not enough to cause a greyout or blackout unless an extreme deceleration or acceleration occurs (i.e. slamming into the barrier at high speed).
Quote from Whiskey :I may say this was an issue on IndyCar (or something similar, it all sound similar to me xD) due to the huge G's a car can sustain on an oval track.

You are quite close - it was ChampCar, 2001 @ Texas Motor Speedway. The high banking induces a downward force effect, and some drivers reported some serious symptoms. Linkage
Quote from dekojester :You are quite close - it was ChampCar, 2001 @ Texas Motor Speedway. The high banking induces a downward force effect, and some drivers reported some serious symptoms. Linkage

Wow, it was back in 2001, amazing how I can remember that and not what I had for lunch yesterday, it's funny how memory works
While I do agree this could be appropriate in the banked oval case, it's kinda hard to tell how strong the effect should be. Also get ready for a flood of "this so arcade NFS shit blah blah blah".

If LFS had physics-based DoF, it should be possible to calculate how much pressure is acting on the eyeballs and apply blur accordingly. Greyout and blackout are much harder to quantify though.

For now I believe a head physics update is more important.

Quote from Whiskey :Wow, it was back in 2001, amazing how I can remember that and not what I had for lunch yesterday, it's funny how memory works

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/brain
Quote from Keling :
If LFS had physics-based DoF, it should be possible to calculate how much pressure is acting on the eyeballs and apply blur accordingly. Greyout and blackout are much harder to quantify though.

For now I believe a head physics update is more important.
http://theoatmeal.com/comics/brain

The only problem about DoF in LFS is that the computer can't know which focal length to use. There is no way for the computer to know which part of the screen you're looking at and there-for it's impossible for the computer to know what should be in focus. For instance, if the focus point was in the next corner, you wouldn't be able to read your gauges.

In FPS games it's simpler because you can simply set the focus to whatever your crosshairs are pointing at.
Quote from Whiskey :While I don't like this suggestion, I may say this was an issue on IndyCar (or something similar, it all sound similar to me xD) due to the huge G's a car can sustain on an oval track.

Quote from dekojester :You are quite close - it was ChampCar, 2001 @ Texas Motor Speedway. The high banking induces a downward force effect, and some drivers reported some serious symptoms. Linkage

This is true, but its a very, very, very extreme case...

The cars was the fastest racing cars ever used in a racing category (it hit 409 km/h a year before, on qualifying!), and the track was a "perfect" combination of incredibly high banking and very tight corners, enough to allow the car to go at max speed and to generate max G forces, something that is nearly impossible to happen again in any racing category...
Totally agree with you, and that's why I said "it was an issue", they solved/avoided this problem so it should not happen again.

This will only be an issue during huge impacts, and bearing in mind that the damage system in LFS is so poor, I think it wouldn't feel right to have that much realism on that rare thing.
Quote from pärtan :The only problem about DoF in LFS is that the computer can't know which focal length to use. There is no way for the computer to know which part of the screen you're looking at and there-for it's impossible for the computer to know what should be in focus. For instance, if the focus point was in the next corner, you wouldn't be able to read your gauges.

In FPS games it's simpler because you can simply set the focus to whatever your crosshairs are pointing at.

It is a problem, but not a big one.

When your eyes are forced to change its focal length due to the high pressure, where you WANT to look at simply doesn't matter. The end result would be the same. The effect here is not additive, it's a cut-off.

Remember the over done DoF effect in NFS Shift? I understand that most hardcore sim people call the feature acadish, but there is certain level of realism in it. If it was driven by G-force instead of velocity, it could be realistic.

One interesting thing worth mentioning is if the car you're driving is equipped with a collimated HUD, you will be able to see the display clearly under high G while the rest of the cockpit would turn blurry. I'd love to see such effects in a sim.
Quote from Keling :It is a problem, but not a big one.

When your eyes are forced to change its focal length due to the high pressure, where you WANT to look at simply doesn't matter. The end result would be the same. The effect here is not additive, it's a cut-off.

Yes, WHEN the eyes are forced. But if they were to introduce DoF at all, whenever your eyes aren't forced to change focal length, which is most of the time, it would just be unrealistic because you would want to look at stuff out of focus but it's blurred out because the computer assumes you're looking at something else. The effect found in NFS Shift just seems to be a screen bluring once you get to a certain speed.

Quote from Whiskey :
This will only be an issue during huge impacts, and bearing in mind that the damage system in LFS is so poor, I think it wouldn't feel right to have that much realism on that rare thing.

Ideally no one should crash, that's why there are sand banks and stuff on the tracks. Since you're supposed to avoid crashing at all costs, it doesn't make sense to add eye-candy for something you shouldn't do.
Quote from pärtan :Yes, WHEN the eyes are forced. But if they were to introduce DoF at all, whenever your eyes aren't forced to change focal length, which is most of the time, it would just be unrealistic because you would want to look at stuff out of focus but it's blurred out because the computer assumes you're looking at something else. The effect found in NFS Shift just seems to be a screen bluring once you get to a certain speed.

Just reduce (or completely turn off) the DoF at low load, and increase DoF to push the boundary of focus-able distance forward as load builds up. When load is low everything is clear, when load is very high only distant objects are clear.

We won't have such trouble if eye tracking devices were available. Otherwise this method appears to be a good compromise.
Honestly your eyes would focus on certain parts of the screen (shown fully clear by LFS) and the rest will be blurred out. So DOF does not have to be induced in LFS to create the effect, your eyes already do. All LFS need to do is to show everything and your eyes will do the focusing, as it should.
Quote from hiroshima guy :Honestly your eyes would focus on certain parts of the screen (shown fully clear by LFS) and the rest will be blurred out. So DOF does not have to be induced in LFS to create the effect, your eyes already do. All LFS need to do is to show everything and your eyes will do the focusing, as it should.

Well, the very reason that DoF rendering got invented was your eyes can't get DoF effects from a FLAT screen.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG