The online racing simulator
LFS with linux(UBUNTU)
(26 posts, started )
LFS with linux(UBUNTU)
i have windows vista, and i have some problems with this operation system.
I want try linux UBUNTU, my question is "the simulator will work good on linux"?
thanks a lot
I've tried running LFS under WINE on 8.10 a few days ago, and it doesn't fully work. It was dead slow even in the menus, and as soon as I selected a track, it crashed
Technically it would work if you use an emulation software, which can be nice sometimes to get cross platform usage, but emulators are bad at one thing.. performance.

As dougie said, it might work, but it will be so slow it won't even be worth it in the end.
Quote from DaniAv :i have windows vista, and i have some problems with this operation system.
I want try linux UBUNTU, my question is "the simulator will work good on linux"?
thanks a lot

Well try new windows 7 , i do use for last month with no problems, yes vista made me so much problems but now with windows 7 all runs fine .About ubuntu yeah good staff but sorry not for windows gaming m8 ,wine its to slow and not all will work.
Quote from marek100 :Well try new windows 7 , i do use for last month with no problems, yes vista made me so much problems but now with windows 7 all runs fine .About ubuntu yeah good staff but sorry not for windows gaming m8 ,wine its to slow and not all will work.

its first time i hear about "windows 7" can you get me more information?
-
(MonkOnHotTinRoof) DELETED by MonkOnHotTinRoof
Windows vista: ~50 fps
Linux gentoo with wine 1.1.10: ~80 fps
That's on laptop (both has no AA)

Yeah, XP has more than 100 fps, but i can't use it for free (vista was OEM, and linux is free).
Quote from DaniAv :its first time i hear about "windows 7" can you get me more information?

Yes http://windows7news.com/ enjoy . if you need any more info please send me Pm ill send you link where to get this os" alt="" onload="imageAutoSize(this)" />
Quote from DaniAv :I want try linux UBUNTU, my question is "the simulator will work good on linux"?

I have used LFS on Debian Lenny/AMD64, it worked quite fine and the frame rate was close to native, the card (nVidia 6150SE, nothing fancy) has decent accelerated drivers. Gamepad worked fine, had no wheel at the time, so I can't comment on that.

Quote from XCNuse :Technically it would work if you use an emulation software, which can be nice sometimes to get cross platform usage, but emulators are bad at one thing.. performance.

Wine Is Not an Emulator emulators are used for entirely different architectures (e.g. Amiga on PC). What Wine does is simply "translate" the calls to Windows' API to native calls.

Lots of games work, and the whole thing is quite zippy, to the point certain system benchmarks under Wine were faster than Windows XP.
Quote from DaniAv :i have windows vista, and i have some problems with this operation system.
thanks a lot

Use this with Ubuntu to run games:

Not an Emulator. It works directly with the DirectX API for gaming on Linux. Very good product and free trial.

http://www.cedega.com/gamesdb/games/view.mhtml?game_id=3179

Jay
I've had LFS working under ubuntu. Theres a couple of issues but nothing that doesnt make it unplayable. It was quite a while ago i tried this.

some shadows look funny, not layed / rendered correctly
sound sometimes lags / clicks / pops
lack or force feedback / device support under linux
On my system (3500+, 7900GS, 2 gbit, ubuntu 8.04, wine 1.0) LFS runs identically and almost as fast as on XP (< 20% difference), but it's not worth playing at all without the full support of G25. LFS (and drunken RBR with friends sometimes) is the only thing why I still have Windows at home.

And I wouldn't recommend the commercial (wine based) cedega, since the developement of Wine will get further, if it isn't already.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cedega#Present
Can i let run LFS.Dedi with these emulator?

PS: got linux since today :P
#13 - lvlo
I have only Linux Fedora on my computer since 3 years, and I play only with LFS since this period and it works perfectly now.

At first, I had a lot of problems with shadows so I had to disable this option.
And sometime with new wine version, some problems came in (sound problem, etc...), but now the game is really good... And it never crash.

However I have two problem with my wheel (Logitech Formula EX) :
- I cannot seperate my 2 pedals. So I can't brake and accelerate at the same time.
- The Force feedback doesn't work (I have to disable it)

So, I want to know if someone can test the G25 for me under Linux ??? PLEASE...
you have to hack the kernel to get force feedback + g25 working.

use a newer kernel. i cannot stress that enough. i'm using 2.6.25 currently.

make the required changes to the source in accordance with the quotes here: http://vdrift.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?p=8199#8199 just the kernel stuff, udev hacks not needed.

turn on hid-ff, and the option for logitech controllers.

compile, reboot, etc.

get usbtool from here: http://vdrift.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?p=7013#7013

you'll need python 2.4 and a couple other deps for it to run.

okay, so you have it all installed and it's go-time to use it:

Quote :usbtool g25-set-extended-mode (turns on the clutch pedal and shifter)
usbtool g25-set-range-wheel-900 (turns on full 900 deg support)
rmmod joydev && rmmod usbhid && modprobe usbhid (/dev/input/js0 disappears, you have to reload it)
chgrp games /dev/input/event6 (fixing permissions so you can use the wheel as your user)
chmod g+rw /dev/input/event6 (fixing permissions so you can use the wheel as your user)

(event number might be different, check your directory)

then run wine/lfs as usual. turn on force feedback, and if necessary, reconfigure all your buttons (i had to).

that should be all you need to get it working. one thing i must point out, is that wine's current force feedback implementation sucks ass... they added some stuff to get it working in 1.0, and haven't touched it since. your wheel will shake a lot, and you might experience issues with the pedals and shifter. can't do anything about that until the wine devs get their act together.

http://appdb.winehq.org/object ... lass=version&iId=3755
http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=9221

cheers
Thanks a lot for your response...

I have a "Logitech Formula Force EX" (not G25), and it seems to be recognized by my kernel (2.6.27.7-134.fc10.x86_64).
Moreover, I can't find the file : /usr/src/linux/drivers/hid/hid-ff.c
(Even if I run the command : find / -name hid-ff.* -print)

So do I really have to recompile my kernel ?

The usbtool works : when I use it, the /dev/js0 disappear.
But I can't make it appear again, even if I use the modprobe usbhid :

# rmmod usbhid
ERROR: Module usbhid does not exist in /proc/modules
# modprobe usbhid
FATAL: Module usbhid not found.

I don't know how to create the usbhid module. Do you ?

After that, I have to use modprobe joydev, and unplug/plug my USB wire to make the /dev/js0 appear again, and to be abble to use it.

I will continue to search alone my problem, but if you have some responses, feel free to help me

Thanks again
usbhid won't be a module unless you make it a module. by default it's a built-in. easily changed in "make menuconfig". (same goes for joydev)

i don't have 2.6.27 installed here, but the file does exist on 2.6.25 and 2.6.26, you might want to give one of those a try.

cheers

edit: when you do get this all working, you won't need to unplug/replug, that's what the module reloading is for. besides, unplugging the wheel will reset it back to the "standard mode" (ie no clutch, no shifter, reduced steering)
Hello!
I used now linux (ubuntu)!
I intall LFS through WINE and are well, but I can't run LFS!

Use wine to run lfs, bet nothing!

I am a beginner linux use.

I hope you can help me!
Can you be more specific about your problem? Which version of Ubuntu do you run and how do you launch LFS? What exactly happens when you try to start LFS?
I have Ubuntu 4.12 version.
I've installed the lfs folder and all is as it should!

But I can not run the same lfs, because nothing is happening!
Showing arrow instead of the load, but then nothing happens when stops charging!
I assume you mean Ubuntu 12.04? How did you run the installer and where did you install LFS? You might need to run LFS from console, it will at least tell you what goes wrong.
from a console?

Linux software'm noob!
I am stupid, becase, i read this code but con't use!

LFS folder I stand on desktop, LFS.exe icon standing on desktop!
You only need 4th paragraph in this section. If you installed LFS into your desktop folder, something like this should work

cd ~/Desktop/LFS
wine LFS.exe

(note that all commands are case sensitive!)

LFS with linux(UBUNTU)
(26 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG