The online racing simulator
Reverse driving :)
I gave it a try for about an hour and got down to a 1:43.85 I'm sure there is a lot left in the setup It is a lot of fun. Are there any Reverse driving specific servers?
Attached files
EFoss28_BL1_XRG_1_43_85.spr - 284.1 KB - 247 views
Quote from efoss28 :I gave it a try for about an hour and got down to a 1:43.85 I'm sure there is a lot left in the setup It is a lot of fun. Are there any Reverse driving specific servers?

I have yet to reinstall my LFS so I cannot look at your spr at the meantime.....reverse driving is actually a lot of fun if you know how to master the car......AND you can overtake people in reverse when they are driving normally. Unfortunately driving like this is not very popular right now, so there aren't specific servers for such drivers (such as me). You can try visiting some cruise servers to reverse drive but do remember, if you screw up you must apologise, else you could get banned. I nearly got banned as they think I did it on purpose.....but it's so fun I couldn't help doing it again and again :P
Hehe, watching some of these replays I can only imagine the looks on their faces when you overtake them in reverse Now if only you could wave in LFS..
Quote from brandons48 :Hehe, watching some of these replays I can only imagine the looks on their faces when you overtake them in reverse Now if only you could wave in LFS..

Yeah, that's why when i reverse I always flash my lights, put my hazards on and press my bind " you've just been overtaken by a car in reverse!" The usual responses are mostly LOL and ROFL, sometimes "wow" and some just say nothing and chase after you for laps and laps until he tailgates too close and crashes into you.
Will someone faster than me?
I'm back after a long time. And I will give you the new record with the XRG BL1
This record is now 1:42:52. Who overcomes me? (used google translator)
Attached files
104252 rekord.mpr - 521.1 KB - 261 views
Quote from J.D.SKAlpel :I'm back after a long time. And I will give you the new record with the XRG BL1
This record is now 1:42:52. Who overcomes me? (used google translator)

i think your skill is getting you closer to the time people are struggling to achieve driving forward......good job. I have stopped trying already =.=
Quote from brianbakers :i think your skill is getting you closer to the time people are struggling to achieve driving forward......good job. I have stopped trying already =.=

I found the time to run backwards obtained is about +/- 11 seconds worse than the best times to run forwards. I therefore conclude that one can achieve even better the second time running backwards. Unfortunately, this would require a huge effort to achieve it.

Rather, I began going backward with FBM. It's really fun ... So far, the best time is 1:23:21 but it still wants to improve the setup. And again it's about 11 seconds, worse than the best of times. So I think that you can gain time by 10 seconds worse than driving in the foreground.
The FBM can go 180 km/h backwards even more, but this is probably the most ideal speed for acceleration.
(Translated by Google Translator).
set
Can someone give me a set for reverse driving with XRG, please? Or at least tell me how to do reverse driving set?

Thanks
Quote from Das Mixu :Can someone give me a set for reverse driving with XRG, please? Or at least tell me how to do reverse driving set?

Thanks

Well basically a reverse set is a set with low final gear ratio. That gives you the speed.

The tutorial by this thread's starter......

Quote from Neoman15M :Well lately there has been quite a few people interested in reverse driving, and i think it would be better to put up a tutorial, not because i don't want to answer their question but because I always disappear in the middle of anything. It's just a compilation of comments in the previous thread, grouped into one tutorial. If you are not interested in reverse driving, um.........there's a more interesting thread somewhere in the forum. So, here goes:

Lesson 0: To start cracking, first get some speed in forward, and then pull the handbrake until you did a 180 and you car rolls in reverse.......remember to straighten the steering at the moment your car is backwards, else it would just do a 360..........oh, and remember to turn off clutch help......that wears out the clutch in seconds

Lesson 1: For reversing view i use the wheel mode and press R and go.........at first i use the 3rd person view and wait for it to look from the front of the car to the back, but later i found out it's hard to determine the actual slide angle (or generally speaking how the car is/is going to behave). If you can make a custom view that sets the view in reverse, that's fine. However, I would just like to point out one advantage of using the look back button is that you can always see what the rozzer is going to do or where he is..........one major disadvantage is when you let of of the button, you could accidentally steer the wrong way........

Lesson 2: How to control the car

Now, as the car is now rolling backwards, any steering input would be reflected in an opposite and magnified way. This is due to that the inertia of the rear end of the car would focus on the rear wheels. In normal cases (going forward), the weight transfer to the rear is good as you have the front wheels dragging the car to change direction, resulting in a better steering stability. When reversing, the extra load on the rear steering wheels could easily overcome the tyre's grip and the car will experience oversteer.

Car Dynamics: (Warning, the following guide is only applicable to RWDs ONLY. FWDs are a totally different matter)
To control the car, besides steering left to go right, ANY STEERING HAS TO BE AS MINIMAL AS POSSIBLE. Any excessive lock would cause your car to spin. One common problem with any reversing sets (at least with mine) is that it would start to understeer a little half way through the corner (e.g. devil's corner/drifter's corner in TC Montana). You can cure this by giving it more lock PROGRESSIVELY or indeed give it more gas (usually what i do to catapult out of a corner) to transfer more weight for more grip. Not every situation can be countered by this technique but with the right speed, there shouldn't be the need to apply for brakes mid-way through a corner.

When offroading (etc grass/sand), pay extra attention to the difference of grip between tarmac and grass, it can greatly steer the car when accelerating. Give it a lot more lock when cornering on grass.

Pay attention to the engine layout of the chosen car for reversing. FRs have their engines up front so it is easier for them to overcome rear grip. MRs have quite perfect for the job, the RAC being most used by Mr. P and god he's quick through the corners ( we both agreed after so many races and cruises : top speed is not important. It's the fun and speed it can dish out in corners which matters.). RRs would be then FFs when going forward so its handling is likewise.

Here's an extra Tip: ALWAYS RESIST THE URGE TO GIVE IT OPPOSITE LOCK when the car starts to spin. After the rear has slid more than the point of no return, which is only a little more than normal steering angle, any opposite will not only NOT save you, but it would make you spin faster. Do a proper 180, drive forward, and do a 180 to reverse again.

FWDs handles like RWDs with no steering up front and soap as tyres in the back. The above guide does not apply. The sets are so dangerous and suicidal that i am not bothering to write a guide for it here, not because i am lazy (acutally i am ) but it's that no one is gonna make a set for FWDs anyway........personally i do not suggest people use FWDs for reversing.

Spinoff: Reverse drift.

It's not really what you expect. More like oversteer, a reversing RWD can only do little drifts like most FWDs, mostly momentum induced. It's not hard to initial a oversteer, but it's hard to control it. So one tip i can offer is to go a little faster than you normally would, turn in as you normally would and then delay the time you start to give it opposite lock. That would let the car slide a bit and it would look like a car oversteering from behind.

Best car for reversing? I believe it is either the FZ5 or the RAC, but in the end, it all depends on the driver. Mr. P controlled his RAC so well even with less top speed than mine he could outrun me a few hundred meters.......and the tuning is also critical.........

Best improvement award?? that has to be awarded to the UF1. Lovely.

What car to stay off? FXO.

tip: 4WD aren't the best drivetrain to use in reverse driving........the 4WD system would seriously wear down the performance and cornering is not exactly as sharp as the other 2WDs

tip: start with a XRG.......easy to control, hone the skills, then progress to faster cars.........uf1 is good too, partly because it has the least power but also its handling has improved DRAMATICALLY when driving backwards

tip: reverse driving quite often get you into chases. Although PITs are no good to stopping reverse drivers (just get into 1st and roar away XD) , your car will eventually get damaged. Damaged camber/suspension on a reversing car is very dangerous. The car can oversteer beyond any control, so if you car is damaged, go forward. Unless of course if you want your car to end up somewhere you don't want it to go.

And finally...Here's 2 mpr of my reverse cruising (and running)

Please Skip the first 1-2 minutes in Reverse 1........
Reverse chase fail << the name means there are other cars to put things in prespective.
For my first successful escape replay, look for Saito-Reverse Cruising.........the replay was quite old you see.....

Reverse 1:
http://www.mediafire.com/?tz5mt2dzzdn
Reverse 2: (Escape failed in the end)
http://www.mediafire.com/?yzynldzhwk0
My first successful escape on reverse set:
http://www.mediafire.com/?ttmdmzmmjmz

Hope this tutorial guide can help. Cheers

Black★Rock Shooter

I prefer also to use brakes as high in a back. When car is taking oversteer, just press brakes, and you can probably still save your going. Also a low tyre pressures is an good option. Cornering must be also a smoother than usually
Quote from UnknownMaster21 :I prefer also to use brakes as high in a back. When car is taking oversteer, just press brakes, and you can probably still save your going. Also a low tyre pressures is an good option. Cornering must be also a smoother than usually

well it actually depends. The brake balance, the motion of the car etc. If the car is sliding too much (i.e. past the point of no return), no braking is able to save the oversteer. I doubt about the low tyre option because IMO it slows the car down and doesn't really gives you that much more traction. Smooth and minimal steering is required......
Quote from hazaky :And from where did you get the FZ5 and Oval track from?

How would you know that?

Because I did it and I told him that......in private messages though.......and yes DieselDodge where did you get the FZ5 lol.......
i can make good reverse setups

neoman why diddnt you tell me you got a thread for this
Quote from Neoman15M :Because I did it and I told him that......in private messages though.......and yes DieselDodge where did you get the FZ5 lol.......

Hey Mate,

Didn't knew you where still around.

We miss you at Team Rock Racing.

Let hear something from yourself.

Kind Regards,
Rocky7up
Quote from logitekg25 :i can make good reverse setups

neoman why diddnt you tell me you got a thread for this

Oh sorry lol, I thought you know :P

Quote from rockclan :Hey Mate,

Didn't knew you where still around.

We miss you at Team Rock Racing.

Let hear something from yourself.

Kind Regards,
Rocky7up

Hey Rocky7up, haven't seen you for quite some time too, been racing? Miss you guys too......

I have been on cruise servers lately, but I don't really online that often now, preparing for university you know........

BTW your FOX set is as great as ever, never used a set better than yours (I really mean it)
Ahhh, this thread takes me back to.. 2006! When I was the (ONLY ONE) doing serious reversing (my name->RGR, ReverseGearRacing), in those early beta versions where you couldnt even wear out your tyres, and the XR GT Turbo was also a demo car.

I remember getting kicked and banned for sooo many times because they thought I was some noob trying to mess a race (when they saw me on the straight)

When I got into the corners everyone was like "yes I think hes using hacks" and then the same kick/ban continued

When the normal WR was about 1:24.99 at the time I managed 1:30.72 in reverse, then after 1year came along this guy who was said to be the best, he "only" managed a 1:33.xx

Keep reversing and humiliating!
Quote from (RGR)Hui!!! :Ahhh, this thread takes me back to.. 2006! When I was the (ONLY ONE) doing serious reversing (my name->RGR, ReverseGearRacing), in those early beta versions where you couldnt even wear out your tyres, and the XR GT Turbo was also a demo car.

I remember getting kicked and banned for sooo many times because they thought I was some noob trying to mess a race (when they saw me on the straight)

When I got into the corners everyone was like "yes I think hes using hacks" and then the same kick/ban continued

When the normal WR was about 1:24.99 at the time I managed 1:30.72 in reverse, then after 1year came along this guy who was said to be the best, he "only" managed a 1:33.xx

Keep reversing and humiliating!

I just love the way people o_O at me and ask what hack I am using, or trying to reverse with their normal sets lol

It's a shock to people seeing that a guy has passed you in reverse, with only one gear and same horsepower.....
See my Hotlap in BL1 FZ5
btw, I need a set for BL1 XRG in rear gear, I tried but couldn't do it
I wonder how many people actually think a reversing car at 160kmh is cheat? I have been reversing all the time on XRG on blackwood straight and they always say "OOOOH you are cheating, ban ban ban" etc..........come on people, it's not that strange.......
Quote from brianbakers :I wonder how many people actually think a reversing car at 160kmh is cheat? I have been reversing all the time on XRG on blackwood straight and they always say "OOOOH you are cheating, ban ban ban" etc..........come on people, it's not that strange.......

YOU ARE A CHEATER!!!! BAN BAN

:bananadea
Quote from Bose321 :YOU ARE A CHEATER!!!! BAN BAN

:bananadea

so you are one of those people who can't do it but screans to ban those who can?

Let me tell you something: you are pathetic. You don't need cheat to do 160 in reverse.
let's make reverse driving invasion to all running leagues and series. Then we might get something else to think than crying to developers about postponed Scirocco.

The Official Stunt Driving - Driving In Reverse Thread
(57 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG