The online racing simulator
LFS on PS3?
(144 posts, started )
#26 - Jakg
Quote from XCNuse :er... okay i just take that back, i just looked it up and PS3 has 3.2 GHz core
not much ram though...

it mighgt be 3.2, but it isn't really comparable to anything, plus the Cell is relegated to doing a task different to what it was designed to do

Anyway, if you dropped as much money on your PC as you did on a PS3 it would play LFS fine
That 3.2 Cell CPU should be the way faster than x86 architecture-based crap used in PC. x86 arch is and ever was not good, it uses non-unified length of instructions which requires CPU to detect it's length before doing decoding. That makes some significant performance loss that is not present on RISC arch-based systems. Instruction decoding should be also easier and x86 to RISC conversion which modern CPUs do is also not neccessary. So the result is, Cell CPU is faster than x86 PC CPU. Problem is that moving to more advanced arch in COU world is impossible because of compatibility...
PS3 cpu has 8 cell's, all with speed of 3.2GHz. You install Linux + Wine and you are able to play LFS very well, PS3 supports USB mice and keyboard tho.
I don't suppose Microsoft (or even Apple. I'm desperate :razz will ever make a PPC OS? Or are they just not common enough?
#32 - Migz
I have a spare ps3 I could try it, although then again i say spare, but its my only one.
Anyone know if there are any risks involved with installing that Linux to the ps3? and if we're still able to play games through it? and if we can revert back to the original ps3 software?
Quote from tenwierdufos :The PS3 can run Linux, and it also have a very powerfull CPU, but....

and this is a big but...

it is based around a completely different architecture. Its like trying to run LFS on a haddock from a chippy, they just arnt going to fit together.

P.s.
Please dont try LFS on a haddock, im sure it wont be very pleased with you.

EPIC! Hahahahaha!

:huepfenic
Quote from kruuvi :PS3 cpu has 8 cell's, all with speed of 3.2GHz. You install Linux + Wine and you are able to play LFS very well, PS3 supports USB mice and keyboard tho.

ps3 has 1 'cell', which has 8 cores (SPE they call them), 7 are used on the ps3.
Quote from Migz :I have a spare ps3 I could try it, although then again i say spare, but its my only one.
Anyone know if there are any risks involved with installing that Linux to the ps3? and if we're still able to play games through it? and if we can revert back to the original ps3 software?

There's no problem installing Linux, Sony has full support for it. I have it installed on my (only) PS3, and there's an option in the System menu to choose which OS to boot. You can boot from Linux into the PS3 OS by holding the power button for 10 seconds on startup, or you can also reboot into the PS3 OS with a Linux command, which I can't remember...

There are no risks, unless you're hopelessly incompetant (in which case the PS3 would already be in pieces ). If you can insert a disk when you're asked, there's no hassle at all. Mind you, it took me nearly 6 hours to install Fedora Core 7
#36 - Migz
Quote from dougie-lampkin :There's no problem installing Linux, Sony has full support for it. I have it installed on my (only) PS3, and there's an option in the System menu to choose which OS to boot. You can boot from Linux into the PS3 OS by holding the power button for 10 seconds on startup, or you can also reboot into the PS3 OS with a Linux command, which I can't remember...

There are no risks, unless you're hopelessly incompetant (in which case the PS3 would already be in pieces ). If you can insert a disk when you're asked, there's no hassle at all. Mind you, it took me nearly 6 hours to install Fedora Core 7

Fedora 7? Wha's that Aside from a type of linux.. But i mean is that the ps3 linux?

Im downloading the yellowdog thing now. Give me a few days and ill have some footage of lfs if it works with wine
#37 - Jakg
It won't - the PS3 is a totally different architecture and even if it did work then performance would still be rubbish.

The PS3 isn't the uber-mega-1337 object everyone seems to think it is...
#38 - Migz
Either way ill tell you all what happens, and if it isnt majourly failing in the performance section ill post up a video so people can see how good/bad it is.
Quote from dougie-lampkin :I don't suppose Microsoft (or even Apple. I'm desperate :razz will ever make a PPC OS? Or are they just not common enough?

Apple did (do?) make a PPC OS, it's called OS9 and OSX... Even the current OSX (10.5) runs on PPC... too bad Apple has some clever Kernel Haxies to make it not run on anything that isn't an Apple product (not so much now, with the whole Hackintosh trend).

Good luck getting OSX to install on your PS3. It MIGHT boot to the setup screen, or just Kernel Panic during startup.
Quote from Jakg :It won't - the PS3 is a totally different architecture and even if it did work then performance would still be rubbish.

The PS3 isn't the uber-mega-1337 object everyone seems to think it is...

that's true, in the same sense as using a fire extinguisher as a jack hammer. when it does what it was designed for, it really is a good machine. but take it out of it's "comfort zone" and it will fail nearly all the time. a bit like most things.
#41 - Jakg
I think the Haddock analogy works better.
obviously not if you still tried to make a useless point after the haddock analogy was posted. if you're gonna post BS, at least try to make it beleivable.
meh
it won't work...unless you emulate an entire x86 pc on the ps3, together with hardware T&L gpu and stuff

can't say that it can't be done,

but you can't say that you can't peel an apple using your eyelids.

yeah, the haddock analogy is better :/
Fedora Core is a type of Linux, but it's way better than Yellow Dog. It's almost like using Windows, except it works on PS3 It's the one I was recommended to use several times, even though Sony recommend Yellow Dog...

Jakg, saying that the PS3 is rubbish at emulating LFS is a bit like saying a PC is rubbish at emulating the PS3. It's a specific gaming machine, and as discussed before, it kicks the PC's ass at that. PS3 is guaranteed to play every new game over it's lifetime, which has been stated as 10 years by Sony. My PS3 was also cheaper than my PC. And my PC needs to be updated almost every year to play every new game.
i think all of us should stop posting and go to test LFS on PS3
:doh: It won't work, as said more than once...It can't be emulated on PPC...
Honestly, I think that YDL would be better on PS3, mostly because they have experience with PPC distributions (They were the major "other" PPC OS, opposed to OSX). I don't have a PS3 yet to test on, so I'll haffto take your word that Fedora is better (I dislike Fedora from past experiences, and would prefer an apt(debian) based distro).
Quote from dougie-lampkin :PS3 is guaranteed to play every new game over it's lifetime, which has been stated as 10 years by Sony.

uuhhh...

you... do realize... that this means that for the 10 years that this machine will exist, its graphics will always be as good as they are... now. right?

and, right now, a moderate pc has way better graphics than the ps3. plus, the ps3's graphics can't get any better. the pc's graphics constantly get better.
#49 - Migz
Quote from george_tsiros :uuhhh...

you... do realize... that this means that for the 10 years that this machine will exist, its graphics will always be as good as they are... now. right?

and, right now, a moderate pc has way better graphics than the ps3. plus, the ps3's graphics can't get any better. the pc's graphics constantly get better.

the pc's graphics constantly get better, with a price..........

And oh lfs no = ps3?

Does anyone know any linux specific games ?
no, as game producers learn new ways of getting more out of the ps3, you'll still see improvements. they won't be big improvements, a bit like a driver update improves pc hardware.

LFS on PS3?
(144 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG