The online racing simulator
Gamepad - Stabilised
(40 posts, started )
#26 - CSU1
Quote from l3aDb0y : I know drifting is an art, thats why I want some gamepad support, as it is hard to drift smoothly with a gamepad on hot tyres. Holding the stick in areas between the center and full range can be very hard.

... if the steering axis could be locked by press of a button on pad it would be interesting to see the gain in control by allowing the stick to be -held- at different point along the axis, is impossible to lock steering by ways of software though for input
I found a way to do that, although it is very hard for me atm but it is more precise. It would take me some time to learn and some time to find the best settings possible. Through the program "Xpadder", I am able to use the left analog stick as a mouse, with that when i let go of the stick is doesnt spring back to center, just as if you were using a mouse. So ingame I have my steering axis set to mouse x. Like I said, it is pretty hard because using a real mouse you can quickly recover. Although I can make my settings to respond that quickly, it looses the stability to stay straight. Oh and in no way is this a driving aid, since you have to do all the countersteering manually .
I would like to bump this post. I think this is a great idea honestly. The game pad is currently more or less useless for LFS. Which is a shame because with similar steering aids as keyboard stabilized it would make it one of the better steering methods for those without wheel. Smooth throttle input and smooth steering input, with increased control from the stabilization. I would call that a win.
I agree.
I always use analogue sticks, both for steering and throttle/brake, without any aids.

Always used this kind of setting in any racing game/sim since 1997. As long as there are 2 analogue sticks.

And as how much settings LFS has to offer, I kinda disagree this, but this is just my opinion.
Quote from UnknownMaster21 :And as how much settings LFS has to offer, I kinda disagree this, but this is just my opinion.

Doesn't make any sense. If LFS have so many settings, why not this one.
Personally I enjoy LFS with a gamepad. In the Control tab I set the Wheel turn setting at it's minimum, with Wheel compensation at 1.00 and in the Misc tab I set the Analog steer smooth at around 80-90.
Quote from Skytrill :Personally I enjoy LFS with a gamepad. In the Control tab I set the Wheel turn setting at it's minimum, with Wheel compensation at 1.00 and in the Misc tab I set the Analog steer smooth at around 80-90.

That's great. And to counterbalance that I will say, I hate LFS with gamepad
Good.
I used to play LFS with a gamepad, for around 6 years, until I got the wheel I use today
Don't ya just love when everyone is like "I didn't need it so it's a bad idea". It's like saying "I played with rocks as a child, so we don't need toys". Keep in mind that unstabilized gamepad would still be an option, just like you can play with unstabilized keyboard (why on earth anyone would wanna do that).

Plus I'm willing to bet that with stabilized gamepad all y'all would have had better control over your cars.
Dude chill out, we're just saying that for us, it works fine as it is. I never said it was a bad idea either so don't misquote me. I just toke the time to give you my personal setting to help you out. Saying we like playing with rocks instead of toys is hypocrisy. It's more like we can swim as it is, and some wants a buoy and that's fine.

When I think about it, if you are driving the F08 or the BF1, than I would agree 100% that WE do need a more stabilized controller for a gamepad session! I've always had more fun with lower powered cars so for me the stabilization isn't an issue. Imagine racing these beast irl with a gamepad, no one could deny that you need filters to smooth things up.

Peace.
Quote from Skytrill :Dude chill out, we're just saying that for us, it works fine as it is. I never said it was a bad idea either so don't misquote me. I just toke the time to give you my personal setting to help you out. Saying we like playing with rocks instead of toys is hypocrisy. It's more like we can swim as it is, and some wants a buoy and that's fine.

When I think about it, if you are driving the F08 or the BF1, than I would agree 100% that WE do need a more stabilized controller for a gamepad session! I've always had more fun with lower powered cars so for me the stabilization isn't an issue. Imagine racing these beast irl with a gamepad, no one could deny that you need filters to smooth things up.

Peace.

Ah well in that case sorry, I misinterpreted.

Anyway, steering aids isn't necessarily to be considered a "buoy". Force feedback is a very prominent steering aid which is present in any real car as well as for wheel users. A lack of stabilization, while being more difficult sure, is like driving a car with no caster. It's not something I wanna do, regardless if it's an extra challenge or not. But I feel that the gamepad has potential to be very *enjoyable* not *easy* with a little bit of tug to it.

Again, sorry if i came off grumpy. To me it sounded like everyone just shut the idea straight down.
I agree 100% that powerful cars are much more difficult with a gamepad. I mostly drive STD and TBO with a gamepad and I use a wheel for longer session. I'm not even sure my wheel got FFB on my linux distro so I just plug a gamepad and fool around.

Let's hope Scawen will have some time to implement these filters at some point. They're already there for keyboard as you mentioned so why not. Smile
CarX has the most complete assist I've ever seen. Definitely would be OP in LFS.

Gran Turismo 5, I liked how they handled controller inputs.

Gamepad - Stabilised
(40 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG