The online racing simulator
LFS on PS3?
(144 posts, started )
LFS on PS3?
Since Linux can be installed onto a PS3. Can i put LFS on it? And if it would, would it help the graphics?
#2 - amp88
No (answers don't get much more succinct than that).
it would be worse; LFS is mainly dependant on the CPU, and since platforms have really bad CPUs, but good graphics card... you'd get like 10 fps

plus, why would the graphics change...?
It won't help the graphics, although running it on a TV might give it a slightly different look - a TV can actually make Gran Turismo look half decent!
#5 - joen
Quote from PMD9409 :Since Linux can be installed onto a PS3. Can i put LFS on it?

Probably not.

Quote :
And if it would, would it help the graphics?

No, why would it? A PS3 will not just simply add stuff to it by itself.
May sound odd but my computer screen is a plasma tv with sky rofl xD

took 1 week to get use to it haha
#8 - amp88
Yes, you can put Linux on a PS3 but LFS is written for x86 hardware (which Cell most certainly is not a derivative of) so it's not going to run.
Quote from XCNuse :it would be worse; LFS is mainly dependant on the CPU, and since platforms have really bad CPUs, but good graphics card... you'd get like 10 fps

plus, why would the graphics change...?

actually, the PS3 and the 360 both have very good processors.

still, i doubt running it on the ps3 would do what the OP whats it to do...the Cell is a RISC system, where as the Intel/AMD chips are CISC. In order to run software that is compiled for one cpu architecture on a different type of cpu, the software has to run through a software emulator that translates the programming of the software into something that the CPU can do somethign with.

and this is a very slow process...and this is why emulating a PC on a mac is such a slow process (not including the intelmacs). If you are lucky, you get ~ 1/12th the speed of the processor.

the cell runs at 3.2ghz, which would correspond to ~266mhz after the performance hit...no where close to fast enough to run LFS.

the xbox processor is a triple core PPC (risc) processor with each core also running at 3.2ghz. but since it would require emulation also, the 360 would take the same performance hit down to ~266mhz. and since LFS doesn't support multiple cpus, it would just run on a single cpu.
The PS3 isn't a computer cpu so the game probably won't run.
Another solution would be recompiling LFS EXE file to Cell RISC architecture, but I am afraid that Scawen will not give you the source. And you would have to use an emulator anyway, something like Wine or better Cedega to "forward" LFS's requests on Windows/DX API to Linux(OpenGL + ALSA + ...) API's.
I wasn't actually planning on doing it since my computer already runs lfs well. I just had a weird thought about it the other day and wondered if it would work. But since it won't or/and won't do any good, the thought will now be thrown out of my mind.
Thanks anyways
Well SInce I have a ps3 im sad becuz I wish it would play lfs cuz it would probly be better fps then my pile of junk called a computer sometimes i feel like hitting it with a hammer and running it over wit my moms 4x4 LR3 then throwing it off a cliff into the ocean so no body will have to look at its ugly self
Ps3
The PS3 can run Linux, and it also have a very powerfull CPU, but....

and this is a big but...

it is based around a completely different architecture. Its like trying to run LFS on a haddock from a chippy, they just arnt going to fit together.

P.s.
Please dont try LFS on a haddock, im sure it wont be very pleased with you.
#15 - col
I dunno about a haddock, but you should be able to get it running on a black pudding supper - as long as you use plenty of salt and sauce and keep a bottle or IRN BRU handy for cooling...

(watch out for pickled eggs though - I've heard they can cause stuttering)
Wouldnt want that
Maybe if we had monocycles instead of four wheeled cars, the PS3/360 could keep up with the physics math.
LFS is already running in my PS3... well, it's not
ok, maybe forgetting the graphical, playable client... I`m a sad enough bastard to ask if anyone`s tried running the dedicated server on a PS3 yet?, seeing as it can connect to that intremenet thingummy. Maybe on a gentoo custom install, through wine or cedega...
#20 - col
Quote from unseen :ok, maybe forgetting the graphical, playable client... I`m a sad enough bastard to ask if anyone`s tried running the dedicated server on a PS3 yet?, seeing as it can connect to that intremenet thingummy. Maybe on a gentoo custom install, through wine or cedega...

It would still need to be tweaked and recompiled by Scawen for the cell architecture. So I very much doubt it will ever happen...
Server
Im not sure if this will be made available for the PS3 to host on but the PS2 has had a history of been used as servers for various things, basically because with the PS2 you can just chuck a big IDE hard drive on the back of the network adaptor, and there you have it, install linux on it, run ftp servers, webserver etc, and its about 60w of power.

The main problem is finding a server program which will work on the operating system, because things like mail, ftp, webservers etc all are so commonly used its worth people spending time developing these peices of software.

But with LFS, alot of people play but it would not be worth the develepors time converting all of their software for the playstation, mainly because you will want to use your console for other things, but also how many people would have a serious host on a playstation???

Is a much more reliable and better idea to rent a server, you can fit alot more people in than your home connection could ever handle, plus, your free to play with your new ps3 as much as you want without cutting all your players off!!
I wish I had a realistic Online Sim in PS3, then I would trash this computer because of the incompability issues

I bet my PS3 won't never ever give me stuttering or FPS drops like this pc is doing
you guys are forgetting that LFS is a CPU based game, not graphics, which PS3 is mainly made for, all platforms have really bad CPU cores (under 1GHz normally), LFS would hardly be enjoyable on a platform

er... okay i just take that back, i just looked it up and PS3 has 3.2 GHz core
not much ram though...
#24 - Gunn
How many PS3 owners would have a keyboard to assign all of LFS' commands to keys? A console controller just isn't going to cut it.
It would if they were cunning enough to use the controller as a binary (or trinary) keypad - though I believe you'd need to be as cunning as a fox who was Dean of Cunning at Cambridge...

BTW, nice avatar there Gunn :up: Freaks rule.

LFS on PS3?
(144 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG