The online racing simulator

Poll : Your wheel turn compensation value

Wheel turn compensation question (steering linearity)
I've been using 1.0 wheel turn compensation (full non-linear steering) setting happily in LFS with my Logitech Momo racing wheel ever since I started playing the game a bit over a month ago. Today however, I noticed for the first time that I need to lower it to be able to opposite lock more efficiently in AS3R with FOX when using a setup that oversteers only in slow speeds (under 100km/h) and understeers otherwise. I tried different settings and felt 0.5 was better than 0.0 and 1.0 after a quick test. 0.0 would be the most responsive, though a bit tricky if you don't have a 900° steering wheel turn travel.

The LFS manual recommends a value of 0.4 - 0.6, but I was wondering what values experienced/league drivers use. So if you belong to either category, I'd appreciate it if you'd answer the poll.
I was using 0.8 with my MS SideWinder FF wheel, so I'll vote for that. At first I was using fully linear steering, but later I found the precision around the center to be more important than predictability, and after a bit of practice I didn't have any problems with countersteering either.

Currently with the G25, which has more rotation available than any of the LFS cars use, any value between 0.01 and 1.00 has the same results. Catching slides is still of quite random success, mostly getting it right to catch, but too slow on unwinding to prevent the backswing. I'll learn some day
#3 - Davo
WHen I first got my G25 and the great wonder that is 900degree roration I used 900 and 0. But then I discovered the better settings of 270 rotation and 1.0 turn comp. Nice to drive with the precision in the middle and easy to catch slides because of less total rotation. I might have to give 0.5 a go and see if there's a value inbetween that suits me better.
Black Momo here. I've always used default 270 degrees (always thought Momo was 270) and 0.50 on the wheel turn compensation. I only change that when I run the FOX, which is very rarely with the newest tire physics.
I'm using G25, and most commonly using 270 degrees and wheel turn compensastion at 0.70. Gives me some smoothness for when being center, but also the right amount of speed I need for quick reaction times and fast steering for when I am in open wheelers.
0.00 with both my momo and G25.

G25 set to 540 degrees for all cars.
#7 - Woz
Your vote will be out for the 1.0 setting as a common setting for people with DFPs or G25s will be 720degs and 1.0 for comp.

With these wheels a setting of 1.0 is linear and means LFS gives you the correct "soft" lock for the car you are currently driving
Are you sure WOZ 1,0 is linear and 0 is not linear? I have a Black Logi MOMO
Damn, I voted wrong

I meant that I have fully linear steering, not the other way around
#10 - Woz
Quote from George Kuyumji :Are you sure WOZ 1,0 is linear and 0 is not linear? I have a Black Logi MOMO

If your wheel has more lock than the biggest lock in the game then 1.0 is linear otherwise it is non linear.

When you have a high lock wheel LFS only takes input when within the lock range of the car you are in and ignores the rest, hence the soft lock note as you can turn it more but nothing happens.

If you set it 0 and you have 720 lock then you will get 720 lock in all cars. This is only the case with wheels like the DFP and G25 though.
For the time beeing, I drive with 0 degrees. For a while ago, I did set the compensation to .50 and steering lock to 180 degrees for the rwd cars.

I use a momo wheel, but should have gotten my G25 yesterday
I drive linear (o) with my 270 momo because other way, I think it is not natural to me. But it is sometimes harder on the straights !
I have full linear steering. Profiler set to 900, i've set the game to 900 degrees and full compensation. This way I have the correct steering for every car, 720 for street cars, 540 for GTR's etc.
Quote from Bob Smith :0.00 with both my momo and G25.

G25 set to 540 degrees for all cars.

same here for me but i have a dfp. 540° rocks. it's the maximum you can turn the wheel without having to take your hands off of the wheel
this might be an old thread but its funy how teh ends are exactly the same whin I voted.

both 39.13% for 0.0 and 1.0
Quote from mrodgers :Black Momo here. I've always used default 270 degrees (always thought Momo was 270) and 0.50 on the wheel turn compensation. I only change that when I run the FOX, which is very rarely with the newest tire physics.

and you still do? just in case you do, my old package says it has 240°. I know of some people that changed it to 270 degrees but since it has just 240 by stock i cant imagine modifying this value would make any sense (difference) at all. Never tried it and probably never will be but someone could enlighten me just in case i have missed something.

With my old black momo and G25 now i use(d) 0 but back in the days with my MSFF Wheel (S1) i was using 0.21.

Quote from legoflamb :this might be an old thread but its funy how teh ends are exactly the same whin I voted.

both 39.13% for 0.0 and 1.0

lol just seen the date...rather old but who cares
-
(510N3D) DELETED by 510N3D
I use 1.0 in wheel turn compensation. I aswell using 90 degrees on wheel turn too. If not it gets too sensitive for me, but it can provide some hard work when I get slides sometimes
Hmmm.....dunno TBH, whatever the standard setting is.

What (in VERY simple terms) does Wheel comp do?
Used 1.00 with dfp, using 1.00 with G25.. tried once 0.0 and 0.5 and i didn't like it much
Full linear steering here (0.00) with 300° on my G25. Im also trying to use as narrow steering lock on cars as possible.
G25 set at 720 degrees in control panel and in-game, 1.00 wheel turn compensation which I understand is the correct settings for full linear steering in every car, much as Woz stated.
Quote from 510N3D :and you still do? just in case you do, my old package says it has 240°. I know of some people that changed it to 270 degrees but since it has just 240 by stock i cant imagine modifying this value would make any sense (difference) at all.

Default in LFS was 270. So, unless default has changed from 270 to 240 in patch S, T, U, V, or X since December of last year when I posted your quote (I think that was all the patches in 07. Funny how there's been no progress, eh ), then yes, I still have LFS set at 270 with my 240 degree MOMO.
How does LFS do this? Isn't there a place to set your controllers rotation and based on the *difference* between this number and the rotation used by the LFS car, compensation is applied?

So with compensation at 1, wheel turn at 700 degrees and an LFS car at 720, you'd still have almost 100% linear steering despite the value set at 1?

Or is this irrelevant and does it simply map your wheel input on a non linear response curve?

I'm surprised the poll is almost 50/50. Perhaps its mouse users using 1? I thought anyone with a wheel would be somewhere very close to 0 or preferably simply at 0.
Mostly 0.0

But if I'm lazy it's 1.0 sometimes.
Me too please!!
Quote from danowat :Hmmm.....dunno TBH, whatever the standard setting is.

What (in VERY simple terms) does Wheel comp do?

I don't have a clue either Danowat. Could someone explain this please. In very simple language for us.

Wheel turn compensation question (steering linearity)
(71 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG