The online racing simulator
Top Gear Layout
(64 posts, started )
Top Gear Layout
Yes. Another one.

I realise it's been done before, but I thought I'd do one of my own now that there's more layout shape types and quantities.

I've included a copy of the top times on my server - not one of them is a "reasonably priced car". Not one of them is me either.

Surprisingly, about 90% of the people who've tried it on my server have never seen the Top Gear track before, and were always getting lost.

I made it harder for them as you have to keep within the white lines or you get teleported to join the spectators.

Layout currently online at my server Sin'rs (Top Gear).

Edit

POST 9 includes version 2 of layout.
Attached images
Top_Gear Layout Best Times on Sin'rs 24 06 11.jpg
Attached files
AU1_Top_Gear.lyt - 6.7 KB - 1413 views
Could you maybe post some pics ? I know it may sound lazy but I am always on my phone and not my computer so I can't download the layout.

Thanks
Nice work, thanks!
Quote from Poldy1603 :Could you maybe post some pics ? I know it may sound lazy but I am always on my phone and not my computer so I can't download the layout.

Apologies, I meant to!
Attached images
Top Gear Layout.jpg
Gambon.jpg
Hammerhead.jpg
Follow Thru.jpg
Top Gear Route.jpg
Whats Top Gear ?
The highest gear you have in your car. In mine, it's fifth (like most modern cars), but some cars have more, like an F1 car with 7th as top.

But in this case, it refers to THIS

EDIT
===

Have added image showing the current best times for all 20 cars available to race on my server with my layout.
Attached images
Sinrs Top Gear Top Times.png
Quote from sinanju :Have added image showing the current best times for all 20 cars available to race on my server with my layout.

The Stig (aka Carlos#325) has just taken my 3 top places.
TopGear Track Layout V2
Have refined layout some to stop people cutting corners too much, and make track a lot tighter to drive.

Due to number of first time users of layout, have amended it by adding one corner marker, one track chalk and additional tyres to form barrier at the "follow through", where lots of drivers thought they should be driving through the open space. These can easily be removed if you want to keep track a bit more 'pure'.

I've included the top times for each car (all done on this version of track); none of which I can get close to. Can you?
Attached images
TopGear2 TopTimes.jpg
TopGear2 additional signage.jpg
Attached files
AU1_TopGear2.lyt - 6.8 KB - 599 views
Quote from sinanju :Have refined layout some to stop people cutting corners too much, and make track a lot tighter to drive.

Due to number of first time users of layout, have amended it by adding one corner marker, one track chalk and additional tyres to form barrier at the "follow through", where lots of drivers thought they should be driving through the open space. These can easily be removed if you want to keep track a bit more 'pure'.

I've included the top times for each car (all done on this version of track); none of which I can get close to. Can you?

I just tried the FOX.
I think, my time was quite ok..
It was!

I used to be less than 3 seconds off the quickest time, now its over 3 secs.

You're one of three that's changed the leaderboard so far.
just did a little update for FOX
Now just over 700 pb's recorded for this layout, so new best times.
Attached images
Top Gear Top Times (of 700+ recorded).jpg
Now at just over 800 personal best times recorded, including new BF1 record (sorry Sweet Pea!), which also becomes the layout record.

Also included spr to show people who don't know Top Gear tv show track layout the way to go, even though I've added extra signs and marker boards to help find correct route.
Attached images
Top Gear Layout Times 04 07 11 am.jpg
Attached files
Top Gear Layout.spr - 48.2 KB - 427 views
sweeet~ topped 13 cars ;D
though the OW times are getting quite out of reach for my mouse now. lol
I honestly don't think I can do 37.82 again. It was such a fluke managing to get through Followthrough flat out by riding the little speedbumps on the outside on entry. Every other time I have tried it, I just spin out.

Time to start work on the other open wheelers.

Edit : Just found out that my BF1 time is no longer the fastest - although my one still is the fastest without penalties.
drifitng ruins the server :|
The "5 laps count" is back, and people took advantage of it again...
Thanks for letting me know - I've reset to single lap again.

I suspect my host reset server as they were having some issues.

EDIT

I've gone over the replays between the server was reset and me putting back to single lap, and have deleted ALL the times where people did pb's on 2nd or subsequent laps. Layout should only be for single lap.

I've also deleted a BF1 time where a corner was cut, thereby saving a noticable amount of time. Corner issue was resolved with addition of additional invisible marshall, which was included in layout version 3, which has been running for a number of days now.

Apologies to the drivers who lost some lap times.
Quote from sinanju :

I've also deleted a BF1 time where a corner was cut, thereby saving a noticable amount of time.

I just went on the server just now and found my time gone. Are you sure this is correct? I know I 'checked out' the corner after witnessing others driving over it, but I had deliberately slowed my pace prior to the corner so that it wouldn't effect the PB chart. I remember the lap time being achieved from cutting the corner being a 38.7, despite very slow sector times. I did later set a 37.8x lap time, but I admit that I just assumed that the 37.82 time was the 'correct' one, as the 'top 12' list doesn't always display. I did expose the bug to you the next time you connected.

If this is the incorrect version of events, I apologise profoundly to you Sinanju, and all users who were 'beaten' by this incorrect time - I honestly hadn't intended to capitalize on the lack of hidden marshal. I had worked very hard throughout that day, to improve my times, and was quite happy with the time I had achieved up to the point where I noticed the bug (38.2x).

Anyway, I am quite happy to show that I can do the time 'legally' if you enable the BF1 again in the server.
Quote from spiderbait90 :I just went on the server just now and found my time gone. Are you sure this is correct? I know I 'checked out' the corner after witnessing others driving over it, but I had deliberately slowed my pace prior to the corner so that it wouldn't effect the PB chart. I remember the lap time being achieved from cutting the corner being a 38.7, despite very slow sector times. I did later set a 37.8x lap time, but I admit that I just assumed that the 37.82 time was the 'correct' one, as the 'top 12' list doesn't always display. I did expose the bug to you the next time you connected.

If this is the incorrect version of events, I apologise profoundly to you Sinanju, and all users who were 'beaten' by this incorrect time - I honestly hadn't intended to capitalize on the lack of hidden marshal. I had worked very hard throughout that day, to improve my times, and was quite happy with the time I had achieved up to the point where I noticed the bug (38.2x).

Anyway, I am quite happy to show that I can do the time 'legally' if you enable the BF1 again in the server.

Hi
I looked at quite a few of your laps, and because your best time was by cutting the corner - I KNOW racing drivers are supposed to exploit everything possible, but I considered this missing of a corner the same as missing a chicane type of incident, which is why it was such a harsh penalty.

I'm glad you pointed out the 'bug' (I also found another hole that was possible to be exploited, and which I filled at same time).

Earlier today, just before my previous post, I re-enabled all the cars.

At the moment, most people are setting times with TBO's, LX4's, and others like that.

I see you've been back on anyway, and you're always welcome

Cheers.
Quote from sinanju :Hi
I looked at quite a few of your laps, and because your best time was by cutting the corner - I KNOW racing drivers are supposed to exploit everything possible, but I considered this missing of a corner the same as missing a chicane type of incident, which is why it was such a harsh penalty.

I'm glad you pointed out the 'bug' (I also found another hole that was possible to be exploited, and which I filled at same time).

Earlier today, just before my previous post, I re-enabled all the cars.

At the moment, most people are setting times with TBO's, LX4's, and others like that.

I see you've been back on anyway, and you're always welcome

Cheers.

Like I said, I had thought I had set the fastest lap later on, obviously the shortcut worked better than I had expected and I mistakenly read the 37.8 as 38.7. In hindsight I should have probably pointed out that I thought that there was an issue, rather than going about testing it myself, on a live server. I totally agree with the removal of the time, had I been aware of my mistake I would have pointed it out immediately. Apologies.
Now at just over 900 personal best times recorded, including new BF1 record (congrats to Rudy van Buren), which also becomes the layout record.

Maybe not the "reasonably priced car"; record for that (as well as least half the other cars, goes to JS).

Included in layout version 4, which has been in use for while now.

Many thanks for everyone that's done a pb on my server; much appreciated.
Attached images
Sinrs Top Gear Layout 08 07 11.jpg
Attached files
AU1_TopGear4.lyt - 6.9 KB - 418 views
Quote from sinanju :
I've gone over the replays between the server was reset and me putting back to single lap, and have deleted ALL the times where people did pb's on 2nd or subsequent laps. Layout should only be for single lap.

Thanks you. Much appreciated.
The magic (for me anyway!) 1000 personal best times have now been recorded, including a brand new fastest BF1 time (congrats to M.Wentjärvi - aka suzuki94), which now becomes the servers fastest.

I've done a quick video of this quick lap and loaded onto Utube.

Again, to everyone who's spent time doing lap on server, many thanks.
Attached images
Sinrs Top Gear Layout 08 07 11.jpg

Top Gear Layout
(64 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG