The online racing simulator
Top Gear Layout
(64 posts, started )
Put this layout back on my server few weeks back, keeping all the old times that were recorded for drivers to race against.

Over 250 more times recorded, of which 4 are new top spot records (3 by the same person; 55 - T Ulrich).

Shows there's still some quality drivers around.
Attached images
Sin'rs Server Top Gear layout times as at 14 Dec 2013.png
hi i was wondering if this server is gonna be up in next few days (my interwebs isn't working). im just asking
This layout is likely to be running on my server until the New Year.
Hi
in your forum posts it says servername "Sin'rs [Top Gear]" but that does not work.
From serverlist correct servername is:
Sin'rs (Top Gear Layout)

Is it possible to disable the "0 to 100" and "you pulled XY G" messages at start? Bit irritating how they always pop up right before first turn.
Quote from Gutholz :Hi
in your forum posts it says servername "Sin'rs [Top Gear]" but that does not work.
From serverlist correct servername is:
Sin'rs (Top Gear Layout)

The server name was correct the first time I had it up and working, which was couple of years ago.

Quote from Gutholz :
Is it possible to disable the "0 to 100" and "you pulled XY G" messages at start? Bit irritating how they always pop up right before first turn.

Not without resetting the server, in which case, the top 12 fastest positions that show on screen (top right) would be lost, and I'm loathe to do that really. Maybe if the server is reset (after a fault or something), I'll think about it.
Did some driving with friend yesterday. Eventually more people joined and then it got a bit choatic, if there is a car about to start while you cross finish line etc. If you ever change to a different layout then might think about having seperate start / finish lines.
Think such autocross server is nice idea, tbh first time I have seen one.

Quote from sinanju :Not without resetting the server, in which case, the top 12 fastest positions that show on screen (top right) would be lost, and I'm loathe to do that really. Maybe if the server is reset (after a fault or something), I'll think about it.

Hm I see. To me all the popups and chat notices are bit too much, very distracting, also makes it hard to chat. Even just writing "Hi" causes server to comment on that
Personally I do not care about the all-time top 12 times, too fast for me anyway and BF1 times are of no interesst when driving another car.
Would rather like to compare times with players currently driving in same session.
Maybe have it in qualymode with 24h time or so? Alltime top 12 could still be seen in !top list.
Many thanks for the constructive comments.

To answer some of the points you've raised;

Quote from Gutholz :Did some driving with friend yesterday. Eventually more people joined and then it got a bit choatic, if there is a car about to start while you cross finish line etc. If you ever change to a different layout then might think about having seperate start / finish lines.

Problem with AutoX is unless you use the default start position (underneath the lights) you have to make your own start position and you can only have the one. And the default start position is on wrong side of track to how I've had to do layout.

And as the Top Gear lap starts and finishes at the same point (like most races), you have to have start/finish together.

What can make it more chaotic is the fact that the layout is in a figure of 8, and cars coming to turn 1 sometimes meet cars that have done over half a lap. Also, some people insist on doing a second or third lap, even though only the first lap counts, and people are doing their timed lap.

Quote from Gutholz :
Think such autocross server is nice idea, tbh first time I have seen one.

Thanks, although I've done other AutoX layouts before - the next busiest/popular was my "Erectyle Dysfunction" layout (HERE).

If I can ever find my old files (esp database of times, although I think I may have lost them when 500Servers folded), I mean to put back up sometime.

Quote from Gutholz :
Hm I see. To me all the popups and chat notices are bit too much, very distracting, also makes it hard to chat. Even just writing "Hi" causes server to comment on that

I was on server last night trying (and succeeding!) to better my FO8 time, and to be honest, I was so busy looking at the kink before turn 1 and working out where to brake, I hardly noticed anything popping up on screen.

Maybe I'm more used to it than you, especially when (usually on proper tracks rather than layouts) I have some of my 'personnel' popping up in various places, and I usually have my drift scoreboard up and running, and my leaderboard and my winner flags and .....!

As for the reply pop-ups, I've coded automatic replies to various words that people type in (started as replies to swearwords - a no-no) and grew from there.

Quote from Gutholz :Personally I do not care about the all-time top 12 times, too fast for me anyway and BF1 times are of no interesst when driving another car.
Would rather like to compare times with players currently driving in same session.
Maybe have it in qualymode with 24h time or so? Alltime top 12 could still be seen in !top list.

Thing is, other people do like to see their name up on screen, and other people see these times and think they can match these if not actually go faster (I'm an average racer and if I can get within 3 seconds of someone's top combo time, I'm well aware that I've driven an exceptional lap).

I was on server other day when someone was doing lap after lap after lap after lap trying to get his name up the listing - he ended up top of the car group he was driving. So for some people, including myself (especially as I'm in the group!), its very important.

As for the !top listing, most people never look at it (I have 2 ways of looking for it, either the normal !top command, or via a menu that appears when you spectate or you type !menu). I also have a !mystats available via typing or via the !help menu - again, hardly used.

That's partly why I have the pop-ups about pb and theoretical pb appear when you hit 60mph/100kph, so you can see them without having to remember and type in commands.
Attached images
Sinrs Personnel.png
Server is set to 5 laps by accident?
My Lx4 PB is now a lap where had 6s penality from hitting stuff, maybe because of the 5 laps and penalities get applied at end of race...

Quote :Problem with AutoX is unless you use the default start position (underneath the lights) you have to make your own start position and you can only have the one.

I meant a point-to-point track instead of a complete circle track. Start and finish in seperate locations, not seperate per car. (Not for this Topgear track but if you ever change layout.)

Quote :Thing is, other people do like to see their name up on screen, and other people see these times and think they can match these if not actually go faster (I'm an average racer and if I can get within 3 seconds of someone's top combo time, I'm well aware that I've driven an exceptional lap).

Yes but it is only the times from BF, Fo8 and the other fastest cars. Not so useful when driving slower cars.

Quote :That's partly why I have the pop-ups about pb and theoretical pb appear when you hit 60mph/100kph, so you can see them without having to remember and type in commands.

Pop-ups during driving is irritating to me, might be a matter of taste. Maybe have them appear a few secons after lap is finished. Or when you enter spectator mode. Or during the countdown.
Well, I found !marshall command now to turn off the "personal" but the white circle with "G's pulled" and "0 to 100" window still appear. If there is option for that too, would be perfect.
Server seems to have reset recently to 5 laps (not sure why, especially when I have it set to 1 lap as default) - I've reset server back to one lap again.

Most of my layouts tend to be for doing a lap, and most of these only 1 driver can start at a time. In some cases this is deliberate - especially where I have a figure of 8 track, and drivers can crash into each other at the intersections!

I think I only have the one layout where I've had it so that 2 people can start side by side, but separated with barriers, and follow 'their' piece of track till they finish on the other drivers start position - as they do in Race of Champions (RoC) events.

I understand what you mean about 'pop-ups'. Some drivers don't want anything to show on their screen that doesn't appear in real life - they want the true immersive experience, and with the work currently going on in LFS on 3d and the 'Rift', that number might increase.

In my defence, so of these pop-ups I find useful (split/sector times, drift scores, etc), some I find add to the experience, which is why I wrote and use my WinnerFlags script, so there's more of a hooray when you finish a race, or my yellow flag system when there's a crash, and some I do just for fun, like the marshalls and other 'people' that can appear at certain points of a circuit or layout and can display semi-serious or silly messages.

Currently working on the pop-up that appears when you hit 60mph/100kph, but its quite a bit of work, and now that I'm working again (after loooonnnnggg period of unemployment), the number of hours I've got spare to work on anything has reduced enormously. On the plus side, I can probably afford to keep my server going for another year now.
Quote from sinanju :...Currently working on the pop-up that appears when you hit 60mph/100kph, but its quite a bit of work...

Turned out to be bit less work than I thought, so the script has been re-written so that you are asked when you are in spectator mode if you want stats to show on acceleration. Click on button to show stats. Join race and stats will show when you hit 0-60mph/0-100kph. Spectate, and message changes to question about closing stats window.

Stats now only shown to driver - previously everyone saw them - so now if you're mid-lap, someone else's stats won't pop up on your screen when they're just starting their lap.

Only quickly tested by myself, and as I only see what I expect it to do, may have missed something, or it may have a bug.

Hopefully I won't get complaints now about an extra button showing in the spectate screen.
Attached images
accel message.png
aside from t2 being utter bullcrap (getting spectated while driving on course), it´s a good lyt. Done some laps now
Quote from CodeLyoko1 :aside from t2 being utter bullcrap (getting spectated while driving on course)..

Just before Turn 2 (aka "Chigago"), where the tyre wall is, there is a white line. You have to stay in the 'lane' created by line on left, and line of speed humps / green tyres on right. In that 'lane' is a route marker. Miss it and the next route marker you hit (which is just after the turn), kicks you off track.

Everyone has to go thru this marker - all the ones who've recorded a lap (quick or slow), have had to do it.

There's another marker at the "Hammerhead", which also catches people out.
Attached images
Sinrs Top Gear Layout Chigaco corner T2.png
Quote from sinanju :Just before Turn 2 (aka "Chigago"), where the tyre wall is, there is a white line. You have to stay in the 'lane' created by line on left, and line of speed humps / green tyres on right. In that 'lane' is a route marker. Miss it and the next route marker you hit (which is just after the turn), kicks you off track.

Everyone has to go thru this marker - all the ones who've recorded a lap (quick or slow), have had to do it.

There's another marker at the "Hammerhead", which also catches people out.

oow, that might explain it XD
Due to a reset on my server on xmas eve, drivers were allowed to do 5 laps instead of a single lap. This means that some times were set from rolling starts, so were consequently much quicker than those doing a standing start.

For that reason, I've deleted times set on multiple laps, where these laps were set between 15:30 and 19.40 (gmt), when I reset laps back to one.

This has mainly affected times set by;

LLM.TCLF
DOBBY
EVO D Rernatt
HUGO
Bass8
[MRc]Niko.H
Eddie ITA

Apologies for that, but I'd rather delete these times than make the other 2,500 times that have been set worthless.

I've found where the issue for the reset to 5 laps comes from and if another reset occurs, then reset will always be 1 lap.

I've just reset the server so apologies if you had times up on the top 12 on screen (especially to Google, who had 1st place) as they've now gone.

On the plus side, if you're quick, maybe you can get your time on screen.

Top Gear Layout
(64 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG