The online racing simulator
Find me a smartphone!
(105 posts, started )
#1 - TiJay
Find me a smartphone!
Sooo, I'm looking to buy a smartphone early next year and I can't find one that ticks my boxes... I'm looking for:

- Some kind off Office app which exports and reads MS formats
- At least 5MP camera with 640x480 video recording
- GPS module
- Browser which supports Flash player (embedded Youtube videos etc)

I can find phones which tick 3 out of the 4 boxes (the Omnia II does everything except the Flash player, the Nokia E70-something has the browser...) but none which provide all 4. If anyone can help me, that'd be awesome
#2 - Osco
Samsung Jet (S8000)? Reads MS formats as fair as I've discovered...
Quote from TiJay :
I can find phones which tick 3 out of the 4 boxes (the Omnia II does everything except the Flash player, the Nokia E70-something has the browser...) but none which provide all 4. If anyone can help me, that'd be awesome

AFAIK Omnia II uses Opera Mobile as the browser and it does have Flash support. However it uses WinMo 6.5 which although much improved (read... more responsive) isn't really "the future" of smartphones.

I'm really not a fan of Nokia's browsing experience.

Not sure what phones have all four, but if web browsing is a priority (and it should be!!!) then try the iPhone or anything Android as a benchmark for user experience first, then go from there.
#4 - Jakg
Android rocks BUT the office apps are meh compared to the Windows Mobile versions, the cameras aren't 5MP (afaik - not that MP makes any difference but still), and only the Hero supports Flash.
#6 - TiJay
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check them out.

Jack/Mattesa: The reason I want the hi-res video and 5MP camera is because my Viewty already does this so I don't fancy taking a backwards step in this regard, especially when I'm spending £3-400 on a phone.
What network are you with?

I've been looking too at smartphones and the three that seem to be up there and non-iPhone are:

HTC HD2
Nokia N900
Samsung Omnia II
mention: Sony Xperia X10

There are quite a lot of new ones coming out in the 1st six months of 2010 too like the new iPhone, possibly the Creative Zii phone and probably a new HTC android phone. Also the google phone at some point.
Quote from Jakg :Android rocks BUT the office apps are meh compared to the Windows Mobile versions, the cameras aren't 5MP (afaik - not that MP makes any difference but still), and only the Hero supports Flash.

Pulse G2 supports Flash also
The Nokia N95 ticks all the boxes. I have one and it is fantastic. I can even play NES, GB, GBC and SNES games on it.
#10 - Migz
Sony Ericson Satio?
I have one, does all those things.
  • Has something called "Quick Office" which lets you create "Documents", "Workbooks" and "Presentations".
  • 12.1 Megapixel Camera, VGA Recording (640x480)
  • Has built in GPS, i've not managed to get it working yet, but apparently you have to be outside and i've never tried it outside.
  • Supports flash, well at least it was playing youtube videos earlier, not tried anything else thats flash.
The N95 is damned cheap nowadays. The N97 is probably better, but S60v3, I find, has more apps for it.
the EeePC.
Quote from TiJay :Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check them out.

Jack/Mattesa: The reason I want the hi-res video and 5MP camera is because my Viewty already does this so I don't fancy taking a backwards step in this regard, especially when I'm spending £3-400 on a phone.

go for the next gen up from the viewty. the viewty smart. does everything you've asked for and more.
#14 - Jakg
Quote from DieKolkrabe :Pulse G2 supports Flash also

WTF is a pulse G2.

I wish T-Mobile would stop randomly renaming their handsets.

The "G2 Touch" is the HTC Hero.

I would say ignore MP though - the lens is much MUCH more important - my G1 has a 3.2 MP camera and i've seen phones that get much much better pics from the same res.
i've had a 3mp 5mp and now a 8mp. trust me, you can tell the difference.
is there any difference in 1024x768 and 1680x1050?
Maybe if you want to do very zoomed enlargements it might come in handy. On a HD monitor running 1920x1080 you won't see any difference between any number above 2MP unless you start zooming (unless the camera is doing some funky interpolation or whatever they do to fool you into thinking you have more MPz).

For example, after a recent crash I was in (which wasn't my fault as the photo proves :razz, I took a photo with my 3MP camera phone. Yet on zooming in you can see the detail in my skidmarks, and even count the cars stopped in traffic 500 yards down the road. Maybe if I'd had an 8MP camera with me I could make out the facial expressions of those in the cars.

Look at it this way. Your standard TV cable comes in at a 520x576 res. That's just shy of 0.3MP. Yet it's still more than watchable on a 32" tele in your sitting room

Given the video res is 640x480, I'd imagine it'd be filming at 0.3MP, standard VGA Correct me if I'm wrong in anything here, I'm just using basic maths and my own experiences. I'm not a camera enthusiast of any kind
#17 - Jakg
Quote from dadge :i've had a 3mp 5mp and now a 8mp. trust me, you can tell the difference.
is there any difference in 1024x768 and 1680x1050?

Look at the Nikon D40 vs D40X - the D40 is 6 MP, the D40X is the D40 with a slightly higher MP CCD - so 10.1 MP.

The D40X actually produces a worse overall image because the pixels are more tightly packed on the sensor...

Anything over 3MP is more than enough - it's all about the lenses.
Then I shall say:

Trust me, PC's are better.

Fuck
n900 is what you want

Quote from TiJay :- Some kind off Office app which exports and reads MS formats

afaik you can put open office on it

Quote :- At least 5MP camera with 640x480 video recording

5mp with 800*480 videos

Quote :- GPS module

check

Quote :- Browser which supports Flash player (embedded Youtube videos etc)

fully functional firefox derivative
only mobile browser i know of that actually plays embedded videos like youd expect it to
Quote from dadge :you've posted twice in this thread and added nothing. fancy pissing off?

+1.

Find me a smartphone!
(105 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG