The online racing simulator
Quote from Beldar :I tried this on a cruise server last night. It's not that bad...

It changes gears alot, mainly when you don't want it to. Normally if I get to a curvy part of a cruise layout, I just stick it in 3rd or 4th and leave it there. This just shifts up and down too much, and you kind of lose speed from it.

Also the low end power on the LFS cars sucks; giving it a tap on the gas and shifting around 3500RPM like normal driving just doesn't move the car as fast I think it it actually would in real life; whether the game and real car is a stick or automatic. Most of the cars in the game I got to plant my foot down some to get some normal acceleration out of it.

Or maybe im just used to big, torquey, american V8s and not little 4 bangers.

I've never been in a V8 in real life but I know what you mean about having to press the gas in LFS. It does seem like the throttle is a bit non-linear and requires at least like 50% throttle to get any forward movement. Because of this there's less room for normal acceleration vs kicking down in my shifter which could explain why it shifts so much.

There's a trick to disable the "light acceleration" kickdown and still have the one that happens when flooring it. Go in the config ini and find FlooredGearSensitivityLow=50 and replace the number with some text like N/A. It should no longer downshift when you're just trying to accelerate some.

I've been working on new versions "behind the scenes" with GuLLiT, mainly sharing ideas and testing. The new version features dynamic multiple kickdown (thanks to GuLLiT for the idea), where it shifts down a number of gears at once depending on gear and RPM. No longer do you have to wait for it to kickdown one-by-one through 4 gears to finally start moving.

Quote from Macist :Should it be active window?

How would you play LFS if it's the active window?
Guys,

I have an question, from 1 to 2 from 2 to 3 it shifts very nice, and under 3000rpm. But from 3 to 4 and 4 to 5 it shift only by the redline? Does someone know what i have to change? (srry for my bad English) Thank you!

And the guy who have made it, thank you alot!
Quote from MTMRS6 :Guys,

I have an question, from 1 to 2 from 2 to 3 it shifts very nice, and under 3000rpm. But from 3 to 4 and 4 to 5 it shift only by the redline? Does someone know what i have to change? (srry for my bad English) Thank you!

And the guy who have made it, thank you alot!

Hmm my best guess is you modified the config, or some how the config has "CarGears=3", so it stops shifting normally after gear 3. If that's the problem, change it to "CarGears=5" or however many gears you want to use. CarGears is under [OTHER], by the way.

Question: does anyone know if it's possible to get actual traveling speed from outgauge? I want to add a speed check to the upshifts so it stays in first while you're attempting to get out of a sandpit.
May I suggest adding a key combination (eg. Ctrl+Pause) which would activate another shiftercfg.ini, which would be set up in a such way that car would hold gear/shift up at higher revs in order to simulate Sport button on auto gearbox?
Quote from bobale :May I suggest adding a key combination (eg. Ctrl+Pause) which would activate another shiftercfg.ini, which would be set up in a such way that car would hold gear/shift up at higher revs in order to simulate Sport button on auto gearbox?

I don't know how a sport mode works exactly, I've never been in an auto with it, but I'll look more into it. I have been in cars that have an "overdrive" button, is that related? (although I don't know how overdrive works either)

GuLLiT has made a personal version of the shifter based off my code which has a sport mode. I liked it and plan to add the idea to mine some time later when I've got everything working like the restriction to less but wider gears (since autos don't seem to have 6 gears).
Hmm, a slushbox hunting for gears. He must have simulated a Ford automatic.

Auto 'boxes in racing games have always been the same thing--Manual, done for you. This looks to replicate a real automatic, which looks like it's pretty comprehensive. At least as good as it can be without tearing the code apart.

Most automatics that have a "sport" feature are generally calibrated so that they shift later, and also they'll hold whatever gear you're in at the time if they sense the vehicle in a corner. You might be able to implement this in some way--a macro in-game, and have your app read the lateral G readouts and steering angle from the game when the trans is in Sport mode.

Of course, I'm of the "Go all the way or forget it" school of thought. I really think a torque-converter auto box should be part of the next release. If I were doing it, only the road cars (including the stripped-out GTR-class) could have them, and when equipped the car would have all the associated penalties of an automatic--like increased fuel consumption and increased weight. You'd also run the risk of breaking it if you try a neutral-drop. (Then again I think transmission failure should be a part of LFS anyway)
Quote from Rebeldevil :
Of course, I'm of the "Go all the way or forget it" school of thought. I really think a torque-converter auto box should be part of the next release. If I were doing it, only the road cars (including the stripped-out GTR-class) could have them, and when equipped the car would have all the associated penalties of an automatic--like increased fuel consumption and increased weight. You'd also run the risk of breaking it if you try a neutral-drop. (Then again I think transmission failure should be a part of LFS anyway)

There is no way possible that I know of to make or simulate a torque converter. Actually there is one way, but your clutch would be burned so fast that you probably wouldn't make it past turn 2. Unless clutch damage/heat can be turned off and I can directly edit the clutch axis value, all I can do is have the script press s and x at the right times.

The read g-forces in turns to stop shifting during turns is possible as long as outgauge can output the info, but it would mean the outgauge window my script reads from has to be modified to include the g-forces in an edit box. I'm not sure I have the tool anymore for it, but I'm pretty sure I have the source.

Do you have suggestions for detecting if you're in dirt or off road? Offroad is disaster at the moment for this, and I'm trying to think of workarounds when you don't have a torque converter (other than flooring the gas and hitting the rev limit the whole time).
eco gear??
could i post an request?

if so i would love an eco(nomical) shifting cfg.ini? thingy so it changes gear more eco minded. i think its a great prog... so if anyone would it i would love it.
Quote from skolekaj :could i post an request?

if so i would love an eco(nomical) shifting cfg.ini? thingy so it changes gear more eco minded. i think its a great prog... so if anyone would it i would love it.

Do you mean shifting at lower RPM like 2k-4k? It should already be economical like that as long as you're economical with the gas pedal. Are you maybe a keyboard or mouse user and don't have analog throttle?
i use g25 and drive economical but i think iy shifts to high 2 to 3 k t very low throttle is just too much but i like prog. anyways
In my experience, accelerating at really low RPM like 2k and below usually doesn't work very well because of autoclutch activating and burning itself. You're still welcome to give it a try; these lines in the config ini determine which RPM it shifts up.

[RPM CONFIG]
NextGearRPMSensitivity=3200
NextGearRPMSensitivity2=4200
NextGearRPMSensitivity3=5200

And these lines below will determine how much throttle it must be under to shift up.
[THROTTLE CONFIG]
NextGearSensitivity=50
NextGearSensitivity2=78
NextGearSensitivity3=95

So for example, the first shift is under 50% throttle and under 3200 RPM.

If it kicks down after shifting up, make these below lines higher, but never above 99. The Low one is the small throttle kickdown, the High one is usually when you "floor it."

[THROTTLE CONFIG]
FlooredGearSensitivityLow=60
FlooredGearSensitivityHigh=96

ok ill try tomorrow
How can I get the debug up? I read the readme but it doesn't make sense to me. Where do I put the /gui or whatever?
Is there torque converter lock up and unlock?

This is what i mean, watch what the torque converter does while driving and when letting off the gas. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tz2dFVQUgMk
Quote from Hotrodx199 :Is there torque converter lock up and unlock?

This is what i mean, which what the torque converter does while driving and when letting off the gas. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tz2dFVQUgMk

Well .. you mean the clutch system certain torque converters have? We have that!

No, to be honest, we don't have a torque converter, since LFS doesn't have one. You could keep your clutch a bit pressed, but it would of course just burn it away very quick, leaving you with only torque .
Quote from GuLLiT :Well .. you mean the clutch system certain torque converters have? We have that!

No, to be honest, we don't have a torque converter, since LFS doesn't have one. You could keep your clutch a bit pressed, but it would of course just burn it away very quick, leaving you with only torque .

I tried that, clutch went out in under 30 seconds
Quote from Nick. :How can I get the debug up? I read the readme but it doesn't make sense to me. Where do I put the /gui or whatever?

I'm sorry, I missed this.

There you go. The easiest way is to make the shortcut, if you like the less easy way you could enter it in the runbox (start-run or [win]+[r]).
Quote from GuLLiT :I'm sorry, I missed this.

There you go. The easiest way is to make the shortcut, if you like the less easy way you could enter it in the runbox (start-run or [win]+[r]).

Thanks man
New version V5 released. See first post.

Some new features:
- Economical, Sport, and Hold Gear modes
- Dynamic kickdown (can kick down more than 1 gear)
- Pause during multiplayer chatting
- Live configuration GUI
Wooh could be a good use with my Tweak in S2Z And no, I don't crack. I use the one which has no LP and no, I'm not going to tell any demo-ers where to get it since it's rule-breaker. :P

P.S. I'm simulating a bus with the XRG so this will make the changing of gear of the auto-box will be more realistic.
Quote from hiroshima guy :Wooh could be a good use with my Tweak in S2Z And no, I don't crack. I use the one which has no LP and no, I'm not going to tell any demo-ers where to get it since it's rule-breaker. :P

P.S. I'm simulating a bus with the XRG so this will make the changing of gear of the auto-box will be more realistic.

Try simulating SBS's new scania buses man....
I think it is a 9 litre diesel with 6gears
Great little program, and btw Diesel isnt simulated in LFS.
Quote from jegorchangai :Great little program, and btw Diesel isnt simulated in LFS.

I know, just use tweak and create a 3k redline and mountains of torque
Great for when I am cruising (which is not much of the time). Made my HL 3 seconds slower though .
strange because it doesnt really work good for me, when i change to sport mode it doesnt make a sound, and it constantly changes gear between 2nd and 3rd.

Automatic Transmission Simulator (v5.6b)
(251 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG