The online racing simulator
Formula M 2014?
(46 posts, started )

Poll : Would you like to see the series next year as well?

Yes
No
Formula M 2014?
So now that we finally concluded the inaugural season of the Formula M series, this poll is now on to see if people want to see it next year as well.
Since it's 2014 now I was thinking when to begin the series again. I would start a poll but I think it would be unnecessary so you guys can just leave suggestions below.

I'm also looking for people to work on the series with me.

I still haven't thought about the calendar/layouts but I'm sure some of them will be the same as last year. I might do some rework on the tracks though.
- shorter tracks
- shorter races
- admins that don't drive in the league itself
- proper adminning

otherwise a no from me
Shorter races for sure, although some will obviously be long such as Kyoto, and it could serve as the finale again as well. As for tracks like Aston, they need to be redesigned.
RandomnessInside and I have been discussing running the 2014 Formula M series, but under the Worldwide Racing banner. If you would be interested in racing in this series, please post here. I'm open to race lengths and tracks. I have my own ideas, but they don't matter as much as yours

How does a 15 min. qualifying session followed by a 30 min. race sound for this series? To short? Too long? Multiple race rounds sound better?

How does this series taking place only at tracks like AS1, FE1, SO3, short open track configs, ect. sound? Track ideas also are welcome

Let us know what sounds good in this series to you, and if you would be interested
I would think 45min-1hr would be around a good length for the race, not too long, but not too short that it leaves you wanting more. As for the tracks, I'll run anything that gets thrown at us.
I think the races should be longer than 30 minutes. :P

As for the tracks, they obviously need to be shorter. Laptimes should be like 1:30 at maximum.
Quote from CodeLyoko1 :obviously didn't learn from last year...
just no

Hey that's my opinion, no need to flip me off like that.

Why don't you just stay out of this if you don't have anything sensible to say? It's not like I expected you to be a part of this again.
I doubt many people will sign up with the decline in participation. You can expect 25% of the people you had signed up last season to actually bother to look at the thread.
And judging from last year you should learn from what did not work (ie the hour long races)
Quote from CodeLyoko1 :obviously didn't learn from last year...
just no

let me add something here, so tuomas also understand this is my opinion.

Last year when I was an admin, I noticed that after 10 minutes the field was pretty much spread out and after 30 mins the only thing happening was drivers crashing because they were falling asleep.

of course asking for an opinion and then telling that I should not give my opinion is a great way to show your attitude didn't change
Quote from Mustangman759 :I doubt many people will sign up with the decline in participation. You can expect 25% of the people you had signed up last season to actually bother to look at the thread.
And judging from last year you should learn from what did not work (ie the hour long races)

I wouldn't care the less, Cameron would be in charge of this anyway.

Besides, even though we had very few participants, I was glad people even bothered to enter. LFS is basically dead anyway so I can't expect much anymore. Problem?
Quote from CodeLyoko1 :of course asking for an opinion and then telling that I should not give my opinion is a great way to show your attitude didn't change

Yeah yeah keep throwing your usual bs at me.
Quote from RandomnessInside :I wouldn't care the less, Cameron would be in charge of this anyway.

Besides, even though we had very few participants, I was glad people even bothered to enter. LFS is basically dead anyway so I can't expect much anymore. Problem?

Yeah yeah keep throwing your usual bs at me.

Not really because I really don't give a crap if you fail or are successful. Although I prefer successful.
Just to let you guys know, since we need to make the tracks shorter, here's one idea I had when I first organized Formula M (same layout as before, just reworked and polished some useless objects).

Have a go and let me know how it is.
Attached files
FE1X_FM.lyt - 2.9 KB - 217 views
speed bumps on the apex simply don't work with mrt's. def not in an L-shape. will just cause flips and annoyance IMO.
Quote from CodeLyoko1 :speed bumps on the apex simply don't work with mrt's. def not in an L-shape. will just cause flips and annoyance IMO.

You mean the last turn? They aren't really on the way, in my opinion. It works as an anticut and I also added the pole to prevent going too far.
why not do cones only? if you hit them you only slow down.
I've been thinking this over. How does this format sound?

Group Qualifying: 10 min.
Race #1 (Direct from qualifying): ~10 min
Race #2 (Invert top 8*): ~20 min

* - Invert top 8 means that the starting grid for race #2 would be as follows.

8th place in round #1
7th
6th
5th
4th
3rd
2nd
1st
9th
10th
11th
12th
(Ect.)

Race# 1 points
1st - 30
2nd - 25
3rd - 22
4th - 19
5th - 16
6th - 14
7th - 12
8th - 10
9th - 8
10th - 5
11th - 4
12th - 3
13th - 2
14th - 1
Others - 0

Race #2 points
1st - 50
2nd - 40
3rd - 35
4th - 30
5th - 25
6th - 22
7th - 20
8th - 18
9th - 16
10th - 14
11th - 12
12th - 10
13th - 8
14th - 6
15th - 4
16th - 3
17th - 2
18th - 1
Others - 0
Looks pretty good from this end, although 10min race doesn't sound all that appealing; why not hold two races equal in length, rather than a sprint and a longer one?

But yeah, qualifying is fine with 10 minutes. Though, the attendance won't probably be THAT high (we only had 14 in the first round, less in the others) so why not cut the points system at an earlier point? Like 12th and below get 1-5 points?

The starting grid also seems pretty random to me, I'd prefer like top 6 or 8 to be inversed.
indeed, the 5's will make 6th and 11th mad and doesn't look appealing. I like the sprint race 1 though. Brings a lot of excitement and hard racing.

point system looks great, only please give race 1 11th-14th place a point less XD
I made some tweaks as suggested. The reason for the odd Race #1 points was the invert in 5's. I changed to inverting top 8 only, and normalized race #1's points (while adding sandbagging disincentives as well). Endurance is hardly a factor in the MRT, so a longer race is simply to allow the disadvantaged drivers who did well in race 1 time to make up lost time. The longer race will be able to hold excitement to competitors for this reason when a normal race starting grid would not.

I'll begin working on a schedule when I get back from Martinsville and get midterms off my plate

In the mean time, suggest some short tracks to race on. I'm looking only at short tracks with as many passing opportunities as possible (not flipping opportunities though )

Edit: Some round track/lap options:

AS1: 9 & 18 laps
AS2: 8 & 16 laps
SO1: 12 & 24 laps
SO5R: 6 & 12 laps
K21: 7 & 14 laps
F24: 40 & 80 laps
FE2: 8 & 16 laps (With Cornys Chicane)
hell yes to fe24. will be interesting.
FE24. Didn't see that coming.

K21 and FE2 would work well though. Just not sure what kind of chicane it has, but the one we had in our version wasn't that bad. :P We also included the oval section and it should be included now as well.
What Days/times would everybody like to see? I'm likely to be available on Saturday afternoons, but I can see about other days/times.

Quote from RandomnessInside :FE24. Didn't see that coming.

K21 and FE2 would work well though. Just not sure what kind of chicane it has, but the one we had in our version wasn't that bad. :P We also included the oval section and it should be included now as well.

The oval section is good, and the Corny chicane isn't much different. But, since we might do F24, I'd rather just keep it traditional. If we don't do F24 it would be a better choice
I'd go for Saturdays. And pretty much anytime (from my daytime 3PM to 7PM for example) would do.

Formula M 2014?
(46 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG