The online racing simulator
My cheap home made shifter
(27 posts, started )
Hello, i would just show you what i built! (one old logitech formula wellow used)
some pics
Attached images
DSCN4339.JPG
DSCN4377.JPG
DSCN4819.JPG
DSCN5539.JPG
DSCN5202.JPG
Good for you. It's good to see initiative in action. Does it give you more fun? I'll bet it does.
It's really really fun, I feel like in my real car sometimes!I know that it's ugly, but I can say that this shifter is far better that a g25's one
Hmm, good work, but i will certainly stick with my G25 thanks. It's look's like you have worked hard on this, but imo, you have f***ed it up by how you have finished it. you have put carpet on it, and then not bothered to fit it all in properly, so the end result is a very ugly shifter. you should have taken some more time over the shifter imo.
I REALLY, REALLY don't care about the beauty of what I build , this is not the aim, it was not necessary to do a hard work with this old wood , I think I will make another shifter one day.
Im I the only who have done a real handbrake?
hey if it works why give a shit about how it looks, i bet its fun
Quote from Nathan_French_14 :Hmm, good work, but i will certainly stick with my G25 thanks. It's look's like you have worked hard on this, but imo, you have f***ed it up by how you have finished it. you have put carpet on it, and then not bothered to fit it all in properly, so the end result is a very ugly shifter. you should have taken some more time over the shifter imo.

I thought I'd get my comments in before the likes of this post turned up. If you cant say anything good, butt out! He doesn't need you to tell him what it looks like.
This looks like an "alpha" version of the G25.
I'm with majority here. Great job. If it works well and you like it, who cares. I have 2 homemade shifters. My first was from a simple joystick wedged between 2 blocks of wood with an h-pattern "cut" out and mounted overtop. It didn't work real well because of the age of the joystick. It would randomly go back and forth between gears. My second is still in the works, full metal frame using a tierod end for the shifter and wired to an old game controller. I have been lazy about getting the frame welded up and the switches mounted. Should work fantastic. Everything was from scrap, so it didn't cost me a thing. (Actually, neither shifter cost anything.)
Quote from shiny_red_cobra :This looks like an "alpha" version of the G25.

are you saying that LFS alpha version si ugly (joke )
Thanks all for those good comments, mrodgers, could you post pics of your home made shifter too?I'm always interested by others's ideas
(and sorry for my bad english again!)
Great job, I like it
I would trade that for my g25's crappy shifter any time. Sweet crafting
I'm in no way mocking this shifter in any way, if it does what the creator wants it to do then thats as good as it needs to get, but that shifter should be the picture definition of 'home made'.
Good work! (really, no sarcasm)
Thanks again, effectively, home made yes >> I bought nothing to build it
0€, nada
I took a week to complete it and a month to regulate some problems. The handbrake is really funny to use in fact, it's totally analogic, and verry accurate. I hope it will be possible to stall the engine soon, it will be harder for beginner to drive with it (some of my friends would thant I build another for them lol).
I drive with it for 9 months, I did 10 000 miles i think in LFS.
one question WHERE THE HELL IS THE DUCT TAPE.
Nice work man, really like work and how you built it and don't care about what other people say about the aesthetics i think it's brilliant
well some of you may think the looks of the shifter does'nt matter, but all i am saying is that if i was making my own shifter, i would have took alot more time over the looks, making the h-gate smoother etc. Im nto saying he has'nt worked hard, he looks like he has and it looks fun, its just that i think a little more time could have been taken over the final looks, tis' all
Quote from Nathan_French_14 :well some of you may think the looks of the shifter does'nt matter, but all i am saying is that if i was making my own shifter, i would have took alot more time over the looks, making the h-gate smoother etc. Im nto saying he has'nt worked hard, he looks like he has and it looks fun, its just that i think a little more time could have been taken over the final looks, tis' all

Yeah, you keep watching your sweet looking shift lever while I pass you in LFS =).

I'm all about form follows function. That's why my ugly real life 1987 Honda makes more power than most V8's on the road and still has the original 20 year old faded paint...

Oh.. Can we get a write up? I'd love to build my own shifter.
yes...i would like to knwo also..about the clutch and the shifter..if its not too much trouble..
No troubles, after 1 year of using it, it s working always perfectly!
Good Job!
i have a similar thing siting next to me right now with a few more add-ons if u allow me to post some pictiures to suport your theory anarchypredator, that the looks just dont matter! if it's working properly its fine to me! and evin mine i can say its beter then g25 one... (plus allmost, excepting this situations, nobody can see it!)...its been an year now and it still has no problem...
(not a fan of apple but it looks good)
H-shifter vid
Pedals vid
Attached images
2.jpg
4.jpg
P1040364.JPG
P1040365.JPG
great job. It was better to make your own rather than buying a Logitech G25 steering wheel
Last part!!!wowoooo SUCCESS
Attached images
DSCN5690.JPG
DSCN5692.JPG
DSCN5693.JPG
DSCN5694.JPG
Looks good mate, home made shifters are proberly more reliable then the G25 one anyway less flimsy. Good job

(27 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG