The online racing simulator
Engine sounds
(42 posts, started )
Quote from ramtech :ok then..
ever been in a Subaru Impreza WRX? or a Mitsubishi EVO? or a Skyline? they all do fshhhhhhhhhhhhhh most of the time

Ahhh, the lost art of discussion. I wonder, what is THIS called though ?
I have a friend like you, always using examples to prove his point. Sure,
i could also find cars that don't make the shhh all the time, like, of i
dunno, most street cars, but from experience, i know this isn't gonna go
anywhere, in fact, it's already lost. There is a difference between what
you WANT and what should be
And what about gearbox and transmission sounds?. Obviously for the GTR's
#28 - Vain
Also the additional "where-does-that-come-from"-noise. Whenever I sit in any race-car all sort of things seem to produce sound. Even if I go around the whole interior, clean everything and fix all screws, some weird unlocateable things still produce a lot of noise with every move of the car. So we definitely need the "where-does-that-come-from"-noise in LFS, because it's a big part of the racing-athmosphere.

Vain
Quote from Vain :Even if I go around the whole interior, clean everything and fix all screws, some weird unlocateable things still produce a lot of noise with every move of the car.

The never-ending battle of Loctite and WD40 vs Rattles & Sqeaks...
Yes and no....
Quote from vpr01 :none of the cars sound too good IMO. I especially hate the sound of the Formula V8, and I was very disappointed with it. Its just got no rasp, or power to the sound.

IMHO the FXR has a very powerful sound ;-)

but no turbo noises!
So I agree that lot of things have to be improved....
Sounds simply suck! That's all!
I love LFS. Physics and networking are SUPERB!!! THE BEST!

But i hate its sound, almost all of it!
This is the worst sound i have ever heard in a racing game/sim.
And believe me, i have heard them all. Some sounds are like the commodore/atari sounds from 20 years ago, really!!!

engine sounds are super boring and well below the average,
none suspension sounds, no backfires, no brake sounds, hardly any undertray or frame sounds.
At least the tire sounds are reasonable and there is some wind and rumble, turbo and tranny whine. Otherwise you wouldn't even be reading about LFS sounds, there simply wouldn't be any.

Rfactor may not be the best sim there is but u do feel more immersion and kick from some of the great mods. (example, listen to GP79) now those are just FREE MODS!

LFS guys, don't underestimate the power of sounds effects!!!
Its a crucial part of immersion and the adrenaline rush!
It's on the list.
#33 - 5tag
Last time I played LFS I somehow had much fun almost wrecking the engine - but just almost. "Stunning" how badly power develops once you shifted down ungently resulting in the engine reving 4000 rpm above the redline.

The point is that if engine temperature will some time be simulated (or is it already? :/ ) this unregular sound of an almost broken engine would also fit cold engines very nicely.

Since the only "temperature" related things in the 'Suggested improvements log' are concerning track or brakes I don't know if engine temperature has been widely discussed - if it is not already implemented, which I'm really not sure about^^ - and though it's very possible that the devs 'emselves would have that sound idea I thought I'd suggest it.

Erm I think this post turns out to be a lot of crap so don't bother deleting it for spam. ;]
Quote from 5tag :

The point is that if engine temperature will some time be simulated (or is it already? :/ ) this unregular sound of an almost broken engine would also fit cold engines very nicely.

If you mean the "popping" sound what comes when the engine keeps "missing cycles" or whatever it is doing then in LFS, no it does not fit to cold engine.

Cold engines don't usually sound like that... Mopeds maybe do but that's another thing.

Properly working cold engine does not sound really that much different than a warm does. AFR can be different when cold and it can make some difference to the engine "note".

+When in race the engine is definitely pre-warmed before start, otherwise it would broke down when giving it some right foot and revs in the race.
#35 - 5tag
Quote from BigPeBe :If you mean the "popping" sound what comes when the engine keeps "missing cycles" or whatever it is doing then in LFS, no it does not fit to cold engine.

Cold engines don't usually sound like that... Mopeds maybe do but that's another thing.

Properly working cold engine does not sound really that much different than a warm does. AFR can be different when cold and it can make some difference to the engine "note".

+When in race the engine is definitely pre-warmed before start, otherwise it would broke down when giving it some right foot and revs in the race.

Naah... not talking of 2-strokers^^

I don't know... I just meant that typical race engine sound... snotty, croaking and uneven... I thought it would just sound like that.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDJbek353Ic (wait until it goes full throttle...)

Proof that synthesized sounds can sound realistic. Ok, shooting with a camera from computer screen is a little bit forgiving compared to Fraps video but anyway.

I wonder how much clipping that creates - there's one thing that needs improvement.
Quote from 5tag :Naah... not talking of 2-strokers^^

I don't know... I just meant that typical race engine sound... snotty, croaking and uneven... I thought it would just sound like that.

Race engines usually sound really rough on lower revs, because they have aggressive cams and everything is adjusted for working in high revs, so on lower revs the engine in a way does not work properly.
Plus when you lift of the throttle these engines like to "pop and rattle", ie. high compression ratio and "straight" exhaust likes to produce that effect. Even my civil car does that a bit.
On high revs they just sound sexy.

+Turbo engines what really are their own story then.

Quote from deggis :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDJbek353Ic (wait until it goes full throttle...)

Proof that synthesized sounds can sound realistic. Ok, shooting with a camera from computer screen is a little bit forgiving compared to Fraps video but anyway.

I wonder how much clipping that creates - there's one thing that needs improvement.

Yes, LFS can really sound good, I myself like to use my own .eng files on cars I use most in LFS. ie. for me XFG and XRG sound quite nice, like a slightly modified 4-pot N/A engine does.

I even use LFS for producing sounds for other games. ie. for rFactor I've done very great sounding turboed BMW 2.5 inline-6. Tho chatter and turbo "on boost" sounds I mixed afterwards, but the engine tone itself is straightly from LFS.
Quote from Jef Vannijlen :But i hate its sound, almost all of it!
This is the worst sound i have ever heard in a racing game/sim.
And believe me, i have heard them all. Some sounds are like the commodore/atari sounds from 20 years ago, really!!!

engine sounds are super boring and well below the average,
none suspension sounds, no backfires, no brake sounds, hardly any undertray or frame sounds.
At least the tire sounds are reasonable and there is some wind and rumble, turbo and tranny whine. Otherwise you wouldn't even be reading about LFS sounds, there simply wouldn't be any.

Try Car Sound Remixer. It is a sound modification.
Installation guide here: http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=219905#post219905
Quote from deggis :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDJbek353Ic (wait until it goes full throttle...)

So wait... was that a mod that I could download somewhere? That was completely absurd!!!
LFSTweak+Shift A editor. Not my video so you must ask the uploader for the specific LFSTweak settings and .eng sound file.
the XFG always had the best base sound for cylinders to me and the XRG was good for 6 pots
oh my god, those sounds from youtube sound epic!111
just next to the barrier thingy,the sound are the most important issue for me.

Engine sounds
(42 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG