The online racing simulator
Skin update propagation
(6 posts, started )
Skin update propagation
At the moment. when you update your skin (upload without changing its name), none having this skin already will notice it has changed. When you upload it with a new name, everything seems ok, but everyone who had it previously end up with useless file sitting on their drive.

I know that few megabytes does not bother 99,9% of the people these days. but [here goes the feature request] it'd be very cool when checking skin on lfsworld would inform clients that skin was changed and replaced with current one.
Would be a nice feature actually I think.
hmm as far as I knew, this should work as described here https://www.lfsforum.net/showt ... p;highlight=skin+updating

But now I'm not sure if LFS checked the skin's timestamp on the webserver, or the LFS client. I think it should be the latter.
You load the new skin on your car in the game, the host is told that you use that skin with XXX timestamp and passes that on to the clients who check the new timestamp with the one on their drive. If newer, re-download the skin.

Or something like that.
So if that doesn't work, then it should be classified as a bug.
And indeed it does, but other players must restart their LFS for this thing to work which I did not took into consideration.

But... I found another weird thing. You can change your skin (jpg) file all you want, the dds stays old and that's what is loaded for me (even after restarting the game).

I'm now able to switch back and forth between these 2 variants by selecting Options->Graphics->Cars and helmet skins full/compressed.
It qualifies as bug, right?
Quote from Victor :But now I'm not sure if LFS checked the skin's timestamp on the webserver, or the LFS client. I think it should be the latter.
You load the new skin on your car in the game, the host is told that you use that skin with XXX timestamp and passes that on to the clients who check the new timestamp with the one on their drive. If newer, re-download the skin.

Just wondering how it works,as a lot of users are using 2048px skins in their clients,while in LFSW are uploaded 1024px version,where deffinitely timestamps doesn't match for 2 different files. Could there be some misunderstanding in terms of communication between client and LFSW?
That's interesting indeed. I always use the 4096x version for myself and upload the 1024x one.

Skin update propagation
(6 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG