The online racing simulator
Would be great if another option was added to the 'Track' section after the Westhill update, whereby you could access the tracks and play the older style tracks before they were updated;

RETRO section:

Blackwood
Westhill
South City (assuming there are changes in future whereby some of the routes outwith the existing track layouts are joined together)

There's no reason (that I can see) where new physics can't be used on old tracks, else all the other existing tracks (Fern, Aston, Kyoto, etc) would have to be updated too.
Attached images
alternative track loading screen.png
Nothing sad about old Westhill version. Nobody experienced the new version yet but the old one already is classified as cool, interesting, challenging and needs to be kept... While... When it actually is being selected for driving the only thing you hear is; oh no not Westhill BORING... I am falling asleep etc..

I think when the new version gets released nobody cares about the old version anymore.
Quote from Scawen :
On Eric's side, he has been completing the areas between the parts of the track and the access roads. The scenery is at a new level of detail compared with our other tracks. This is partly for the fun of driving in those places in the open configs, and also for a more realistic look and feel of the place as you drive around on the track where you are supposed to be!

Ahh, I kept forgetting to ask about this. Does it mean we will have more off-road space (compared to other tracks)? That would be so awesome because off-road sprints are always, always fun.
Quote from cargame.nl :Nothing sad about old Westhill version. Nobody experienced the new version yet but the old one already is classified as cool, interesting, challenging and needs to be kept... While... When it actually is being selected for driving the only thing you hear is; oh no not Westhill BORING... I am falling asleep etc..

I think when the new version gets released nobody cares about the old version anymore.

But everybody experienced the old version and know the in and outs. Again, its not a bad track and has some good corners - thats a fact. The reason people are bored is because it looks so empty, and frankly, pretty bad overall. People would be just as excited about the old Westhill if it only had the make up done and added new layouts so slower cars aren't flat out every corner. Of course people will like the new one; its finally a complete track and adjusted for the new tyres. At this point everybody is happy (obviously) about anything that is something new, even if its just some trees around Westhill and 'new' tarmac.

+1 @Sinanju
The only thing I'm hoping for is that those "few weeks" won't last for year(s).
Quote from adrianstealth :I hope LFS gets lots of new members ( like me -I've only had it less than a week) , here are people now ordering dk2's because of LFS-dk2 talk.
....even if it's just a beta version

It´s great to hear, that new racers are joining lfs, because DK2 gives us a new and never ever seen so realistic experienced feeling before.

@Devs:
I know, you Devs do a great job and all of you seem to be some kind of perfectionist, not only for me.

Thats why all the oculus DK2 users are so exited about your work. You Scaven "can" do one of the best jobs.

But I have no DK2 - like the most.
Eric told us, that new tyre physics feels so great, so he didn´t drive the old one for several years (WHICH WE USE SINCE 2006?).
That means, your work around the tyrephysics feels almost better than the old one, so why don´t you let us (NON DK2 users) test something of your BETA work, even if it is not perfect in your opinion - its BETA and f.. the shitstorm about it.
The TyrePhysicTEST-Patch would be one reason for me to get back to lfs.
Quote from adrianstealth :releasing that laser scanned track would really cause a stir even if it's just a beta version

I hope there will be more than one laserscanned Tracks like Rockinham. But I would prefere a fictitous trip from SouthCity to Twickenham over Catfort and back through other townships in the North-, West- and East-City, called "The London Sightseeing Cup" maybe longer than the Nürburgring - even if it is not the real London - but it´s only a wish.
My next hope is that the release of the Oculus Rift Consumer Version is THE fillip to get S3 finished till that date. I would pay for it even if its BETA-(tyre Phsyic).

PS: English is not my mother Language and it´s not ment sarcastic
Just wanna say I've always been pro-Westhill, particularly in the faster cars. Hair-raising in the FO8.
WE1 with GT1 or FO8 was always good fun.
^^

What they said!
OK, you read it Eric. There is no update needed.
Quote from cargame.nl :OK, you read it Eric. There is no update needed.

nobody said that. It's just that sometimes people want to go back to the older version of it. So they are asking not to eliminate the option to drive that one as well.
The old one would look completely outdated compared to the updated one. That would make no sense to have it! The updated Westhill looks way, way better, I personally wouldn't bother with the old one as the new one looks way more appealing.
Quote from MousemanLV :The old one would look completely outdated compared to the updated one. That would make no sense to have it! The updated Westhill looks way, way better, I personally wouldn't bother with the old one as the new one looks way more appealing.

replays
Like I said before, there is a perfect option for that. It's called LFS 0.6F.. Or E, or B.

Same as with LFS 0.5X players. Some people like to stick in the past forever, thats fine, perfectly possible.

--
Ah damn, Flame!
Off topic: Hello Grandlhuber :wave2:

Back on:

I quite like the idea of circuits evolving and updating in a realistic way, I think it helps the immersion. by that I mean that if they stuck a massive hill in the middle of Blackwood I wouldn't be so keen, because that isn't what would actually happen.

Equally, you can't really drive on old versions of real tracks once they have evolved. They have changed several corners at the Indy GP track (a similar looking upgrade to Westhill), but you can't rock up there in real life and say "I want to drive the old version".
Quote from cargame.nl :Like I said before, there is a perfect option for that. It's called LFS 0.6F.. Or E, or B.

Same as with LFS 0.5X players. Some people like to stick in the past forever, thats fine, perfectly possible.

--
Ah damn, Flame!

Exactly, there are plenty of servers using version 0.5X at the moment, according to LFSWorld.

I expect 0.6G (or any version before the Westhill update patch) to be working and accessible on master server, so people will be able to use it after the update.
because less options satisfies more people. I mean, it's not like they force you to use it and it's not like it's incredibly lots of work to keep it in. You indeed don't have to see the point why it is in there, maybe others find fun with it.
Driving older versions with new physics is one thing I can see some players hoping for.
Quote from cargame.nl :OK, you read it Eric. There is no update needed.

How old are you? Absolutely nobody said that.

Quote from Storm_Cloud :
Equally, you can't really drive on old versions of real tracks once they have evolved. They have changed several corners at the Indy GP track (a similar looking upgrade to Westhill), but you can't rock up there in real life and say "I want to drive the old version".

That's a good point. It can only be in the interest of the artist (and new players), to showcase how much a track evolved. For people that only know the newest Blackwood, it's a pretty nice track, awesome even, but all the ones that have driven the old one, can really appreciate how much changed (for better or worse).

Regarding the possibilities of reality, well, its a video game and being able to do things you can't in reality, is one of its greatest appeals. Why put on artificial limitation. if one doesn't want to drive it, then don't, but leaving it in does absolutely no harm. If it was possible i nreality, people would do it, no question about it. In a video game/virtual world, you can. So why not?

@Flame, different physics, physics that breath new life in an old track. Its a win-win
Personally I'd rather see them have confidence in their work and say "this is new, this is better, this is the standard now, this is what we offer now", and I'm as nostalgic as anybody. I don't mind the idea of "Old Westhill" or "Old Blackwood", quite the opposite, in fact, but if they're visually very inferior to the new version it's probably best left for out-dated versions and the people that care enough to make the effort to use those.
Quote from DeadWolfBones :Just wanna say I've always been pro-Westhill, particularly in the faster cars. Hair-raising in the FO8.

Very difficult in the FO8. Nearly flat out for 70% of the lap, but the turn in point is key to be fast, lest you need to lift (or spin on the grass because of no outer kerbs)
I think the argument of "if it doesn't work in real life, it shouldn't be working in simulator either" isn't really valid. You also have track mods for other sims of venues, that no longer exist and nobody complains.

But on the other hand, we're already missing something, which we have no idea, if it'll be any good on the new physics (and it do believe what Eric teased us). Also if there's need to drive the old track, i agree that we can always use the older version, instead of having it in the newer. The inferior looks to the more modern version applies here for me as well.
Scawen has shown us, that he is open to supporting older versions, see 0.3H (which noone is really playing these days).
Actually keeping old versions in current patch is IMO too much hassle. You either keep them "as they are", and they will eventually break up anyway (after some update will be done on some general aspect of track definition, like maybe grid positions or who knows what, live track surface?), or you would have to update them constantly, so replays may get out of sync by accident again. And I'm not sure if the replays will be invalid after physics update anyway, so again for replay-player it's better to install old version.

And even if you manage to keep the old versions alive as long as possible, ultimately people will do some races on new version in different layouts (especially on the open ones), and then turn back to old one just to figure out there are illogical blocks everywhere, or missing parts of scenery, and they will start to moan again if it's possible to "just to fix the old version a bit".

And finally with the current amount of active MP players and supporting all possible old variants of tracks - you may get into situation, where every MP player that night will have his very own special experience (a quite lonely one, but on his favourite variant of track) .

I mean, do you feel like the development of LFS is so fast, that some small additional hassle here and there will not hurt at all? *grin*

I think it's time to move on, new WE-only for new physics. (and actually I'm not excited about the WE update at all, somehow for me the LFS looks good for years, the tracks are fun, and whether they are a bit better doesn't really make me that anxious ... I'm really looking forward for that new tires, and then later for the other sweets like live track and weather, that's more important for me ).
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ giff s1 blackwood ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
This thread is closed

Progress with the Westhill version
(525 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG