The online racing simulator
Where is the Test Patch Forum?
(77 posts, closed, started )
Quote from Flame CZE :Good point, there could be a kind of collision check if there is a car in the garage where the player is about to spawn. Who knows how difficult that could be, though.

but probably not to make that you are unable to leave pits when someone is at your spot, but that you leave pits at another place (maybe at blockers pit place, some kind of revenge :razz
Okay well, its looks nice Scawen. Comes there a new setup? Cuz I'm currently busy with Real Racing 3. Its not out yet but I release it end of Dec. But did you release a setup or is it a simple way to copy some files?
-
(Bose321) DELETED by Scawen : quoting spam
Quote from DANIEL-CRO :edit: Noticed one more thing, when host or insim spectates you, on LFSW you will still stay in race.

Thanks, I have fixed that now.

But I have a question. On testing that, I found something a bit strange. When an admin (or host) uses the /spec command to spectate another driver there is a sound effect but no message. I've checked and this is the same in 0.6B but I don't remember any complaints about that. It seems a bit spooky but I wondered if this is intentional, to allow for a customised message to appear. The sound effect is an "error sound" if a local car is force to spectate and a "notification sound" if a remote car is forced to spectate.

So I'm considering and asking if a message should be added when the /spec username command is used.

Quote from Hector_UA :One question, is cars still intersected when one car leave PITS while other staying in his garage spawn place?

Yes, they are still intersected in this case. I've made a note about this. For this to be done I need to write an accurate intersection test. The autocross one is so crude (radius test) if I used that it would not allow people to leave the pits if someone was in the next pit garage beside theirs.

Quote from sicotange :I can't help myself to ask the following (since you seem to have been working on Autocross Objects recently): are there any plans to add pitch (& roll) to the IS_AXM packet? Changing the angle of the slope of the "Ramp2" object for example would be awesome but I guess this would mean you would have to reduce the minimum step of objects (25cm) too.

As there is no space for pitch and roll in the existing 8 bytes per object, that would be too much of a change at this time. I thought I might investigate one thing though - maybe I could add a single bit to the Flags that would avoid the ground level check, so an object would stay exactly where you put it (and with zero pitch and roll). I realise that the granularity of ZChar is a limitation but at lest this would allow objects to be placed in the air over physical surfaces. One more thing I was thinking might help is a simple new object, a plain rectangular flat slab of concrete. It would look like the ramp but be level. Maybe it should have the same height as the ramp and legs. Or maybe two different objects, a plain flat slab and a separate slab with legs.

Quote from sicotange :When starting a custom race (on an open config) using autocross checkpoints (without using /restart, drivers have to park on the custom made grid before the race starts) it seems not possible to clear the laps. As a result I put the finish line before the race grid and the split1 checkpoint after the race grid to be sure all racers cross split1 before the finish line to ensure that everyone is on the same lap. This is obviously not ideal, is there a way to clear the laps (without having to use /restart) ?

I don't understand why you have to put the finish line before the race grid. The most common configuration is that you cross the finish line immediately after the start of the race, but no lap is recorded because you have not crossed a split before you get there.

I don't think there is a way to clear the laps without a /restart. It seems like a good idea though, something like a restart but without moving anyone. So you can start a race after a parade lap.

Quote from sicotange :I noticed that when you type /restart as an admin you get the "Autocross : x checkpoints" message which confirms that the laps have been cleared for everyone. There doesn't seem to be an IS_TINY who clears the laps, is there something I overlooked?

I'm not sure what you mean about the IS_TINY. Is that just a suggestion for how to implement the laps clearing / race restart suggestion?

Quote from joordy599 :Okay well, its looks nice Scawen. Comes there a new setup? Cuz I'm currently busy with Real Racing 3. Its not out yet but I release it end of Dec. But did you release a setup or is it a simple way to copy some files?

I'm not really sure what you mean by "a new setup" but I think the answer is no. There are no changes to physics in this version, so old car setups are valid. Or do you mean some other kind of setup, like setup.cfg?
Quote from Scawen :Thanks, I have fixed that now.

But I have a question. On testing that, I found something a bit strange. When an admin (or host) uses the /spec command to spectate another driver there is a sound effect but no message. I've checked and this is the same in 0.6B but I don't remember any complaints about that. It seems a bit spooky but I wondered if this is intentional, to allow for a customised message to appear. The sound effect is an "error sound" if a local car is force to spectate and a "notification sound" if a remote car is forced to spectate.

So I'm considering and asking if a message should be added when the /spec username command is used.

I don't see a problem in that. Its been like that for years, and insim applications usually provide reasons why driver was spectated. So I think it isnt necessary to add msg.

Quote from Scawen :I thought I might investigate one thing though - maybe I could add a single bit to the Flags that would avoid the ground level check, so an object would stay exactly where you put it (and with zero pitch and roll). I realise that the granularity of ZChar is a limitation but at lest this would allow objects to be placed in the air over physical surfaces. One more thing I was thinking might help is a simple new object, a plain rectangular flat slab of concrete. It would look like the ramp but be level. Maybe it should have the same height as the ramp and legs. Or maybe two different objects, a plain flat slab and a separate slab with legs.

I support that
Quote :As there is no space for pitch and roll in the existing 8 bytes per object, that would be too much of a change at this time. I thought I might investigate one thing though - maybe I could add a single bit to the Flags that would avoid the ground level check, so an object would stay exactly where you put it (and with zero pitch and roll). I realise that the granularity of ZChar is a limitation but at lest this would allow objects to be placed in the air over physical surfaces. One more thing I was thinking might help is a simple new object, a plain rectangular flat slab of concrete. It would look like the ramp but be level. Maybe it should have the same height as the ramp and legs. Or maybe two different objects, a plain flat slab and a separate slab with legs.

The option to avoid the ground level check has been high up my wishlist since 0.6B, if you can manage this for 0.6C that will put a big smile on my face

Quote :Or maybe two different objects, a plain flat slab and a separate slab with legs.

Another big +1. A flat table top (Ramp3) the height and dimensions of Ramp2 and a separate slab with legs with different dimensions (Ramp4)?

Quote :I don't understand why you have to put the finish line before the race grid. The most common configuration is that you cross the finish line immediately after the start of the race, but no lap is recorded because you have not crossed a split before you get there.

I don't think there is a way to clear the laps without a /restart. It seems like a good idea though, something like a restart but without moving anyone. So you can start a race after a parade lap.

The issue surfaces when in cruise mode while checkpoints are on some players cross some splits, then join the custom race and if the finish line is just after the race grid, their lapcount gets +1. It only happens when a player crosses a split (without crossing finish line) and then "joins" (=parking on the race grid as seen in the screenshot) the race. So the split is saved and that's why when the race starts the finish line can't be just after the race grid so I put it before the racegrid which is more of a temporary measure. That is if checkpoints move once in a while and players did a parade lap before the start of the race. My explanations probably lack clarity, please see screenshot attached.

Quote :
I'm not sure what you mean about the IS_TINY. Is that just a suggestion for how to implement the laps clearing / race restart suggestion?

Yes, sorry for the lack of clarity.
Attached images
grid.jpg
Is it possible to make unlimited number of objects, areas, marshals in autocross area ?
Scawen, firstly great idea about autocross changes, one small question: what about multible starting positions? Woulb be effing amazing for autocross racing and fun :-)
Quote from The Very End :Scawen, firstly great idea about autocross changes, one small question: what about multible starting positions?

+1, this would be a big help
Quote from Scawen :
As there is no space for pitch and roll in the existing 8 bytes per object, that would be too much of a change at this time. I thought I might investigate one thing though - maybe I could add a single bit to the Flags that would avoid the ground level check, so an object would stay exactly where you put it (and with zero pitch and roll). I realise that the granularity of ZChar is a limitation but at lest this would allow objects to be placed in the air over physical surfaces. One more thing I was thinking might help is a simple new object, a plain rectangular flat slab of concrete. It would look like the ramp but be level. Maybe it should have the same height as the ramp and legs. Or maybe two different objects, a plain flat slab and a separate slab with legs.

I like the idea of the two new objects, a concrete slab with legs and a plain one - nice way how to create bridges

However, that could only be done via InSim, right? I was wondering if it was somehow possible to include another slider/button for object height / collision check, so people could adjust it more easily. Maybe an on/off button for collision check and then a slider with either absolute value, or value relative to the ground level, so if you set e.g. 4 m, it would place the object 4 metres above the ground.
Floating platforms! Things just got interesting! That would be awesome to add to the game, the possibilitys are endless!
Quote from Dygear :Floating platforms! Things just got interesting! That would be awesome to add to the game, the possibilitys are endless!

This will not really, but will a fun
Quote from The Very End :what about multible starting positions?

...and pitstalls... It's the main reason why Autocross can't host some more serious races... But that's too much again,I guess...
Quote from Flame CZE :...However, that could only be done via InSim, right?...

Players should be able to place objects, like now, without having to have another external program (e.g. InSim) to make it possible.

Quote from Flame CZE :...I was wondering if it was somehow possible to include another slider/button for object height / collision check, so people could adjust it more easily. Maybe an on/off button for collision check and then a slider with either absolute value, or value relative to the ground level, so if you set e.g. 4 m, it would place the object 4 metres above the ground..

This is getting bit like an arcade game - next you'll be wanting curved blocks so a loop the loop can be made.

I'd like to see additional barriers;
a combined white and red barrier (instead of having to join a white and red together) as sometimes the 'barrier long' is too long for trying to make bends
a double sized 'barrier long' for using on straights
There's already 3 sizes of armco, so don't see why shouldn't be more barrier length choices.

I'd also like to see a semi-circular shaped kerb - maybe with adjustable circumference. Kerbs are a normal part of track design, so should be included. If this wasn't possible, maybe an even smaller Speed Hump (one meter long?).
Quote from The Very End :Scawen, firstly great idea about autocross changes, one small question: what about multible starting positions? Woulb be effing amazing for autocross racing and fun :-)

At this point I am considering just one simple InSim packet that could be used to create custom grids and other possibilities. That is, "reset car A at position X, Y, Z".

I know that requires an active InSim program, at least to detect race restart and send a bunch of reset car packets.

But coding up multiple start positions for layouts is just too much of a code change for now.
I think I like that thought
What I think specially is at skid pad (or other tracks), to be able to define up to 16 (or 32 would be BLOODY amazing) starting points. If this is done by cordinates or an object I do not know, but preferable as an object like start / finish / cp lines.
It would be a own sub-menu called strting points / grid settings or whatever. Here you would find 1-16 (or 32? ) and you could place them around. Also you would have the standard grid as an object, and you could put that anywhere.

A bit clumsy described, but I think you catch my drift. The autocross part is a huge addition to LFS and both leagues, fun racers and every day racers would benefit from a change like this.
And as you mention about placing objects where you want them without the ground restriction would help too.

It's up to you of course, but I hope it makes the cut
Quote from Scawen :Thanks, I have fixed that now.
I'm not really sure what you mean by "a new setup" but I think the answer is no. There are no changes to physics in this version, so old car setups are valid. Or do you mean some other kind of setup, like setup.cfg?

Well, if I download 0.6B or Z28 I get a setup.exe, is this detail better my English is not on 100%
All this talk about objects is nice and all, but how is this going to make LFS a realistic racing simulator?

"pitch and yaw of ramps" Sounds like you want to play a game like 1nsane or some other 4x4 game.

"Floating platforms!" Doesn't happen in real life, so why should it happen in LFS?

This is just cute, I thought this was a racing simulator, not NFS.
Quote from joordy599 :Well, if I download 0.6B or Z28 I get a setup.exe, is this detail better my English is not on 100%

I guess there will be 3 ways to do the update.

1st Download the whole LFS(0.6C)
2nd Update from 0.6B to 0.6C using ZIP
3rd Same as 2nd, but with executable file

Quote from Scawen :At this point I am considering just one simple InSim packet that could be used to create custom grids and other possibilities. That is, "reset car A at position X, Y, Z".

I know that requires an active InSim program, at least to detect race restart and send a bunch of reset car packets.

But coding up multiple start positions for layouts is just too much of a code change for now.

That will be awesome! It can also be used with teleport commands or just custom start to each player; For example if player is at team 1 he will spawn at pos1 or else he will spawn at pos2.

Quote from sinanju :I'd like to see additional barriers;
a combined white and red barrier (instead of having to join a white and red together) as sometimes the 'barrier long' is too long for trying to make bends
a double sized 'barrier long' for using on straights
There's already 3 sizes of armco, so don't see why shouldn't be more barrier length choices.

I'd also like to see a semi-circular shaped kerb - maybe with adjustable circumference. Kerbs are a normal part of track design, so should be included. If this wasn't possible, maybe an even smaller Speed Hump (one meter long?).

All of these seems useful and kerbs will make finally autocross interesting places to race.
Quote from Scawen :

/spec is being used when somebody tries to enter the track with wrong setup requirements (wrong tires, passengers, no air restriction when required etc).. Actually that happens a lot and those drivers get a personal message when that occurs. A general message for everybody is going to be a bit annoying especially because people try it sometimes 5 times in 10 seconds because they simply don't read why they get specced.

The other times /spec is used is when there is some admin intervention.. But.. Then there already is chatting going on about somebody's behavior and then manually is being said that the person in question was specced.

So... Ehh in short, no, not necessary (in my opinion). It wasn't really missed as far as I know.
Quote from Scawen :

Parade lap is warm up lap before race? If that one could be implemented somehow it would be great. Even that "restart without moving anyone" is welcome, but is it hard to code that the sim checks if every racer is close enough to his starting point on the grid and after that it starts the race automatically?
Quote from DarkKostas :I guess there will be 3 ways to do the update.

1st Download the whole LFS(0.6C)
2nd Update from 0.6B to 0.6C using ZIP
3rd Same as 2nd, but with executable file

4th (and most important) in-game automatic update when trying to view server list. There is the ability to say yes/no to an automatic update.

Quote from Dygear :Floating platforms! Things just got interesting! That would be awesome to add to the game, the possibilitys are endless!

This is already been done by WS • Metropolis .. Should check out that server when you have time. Pretty funny, looks like a roller coaster. They hex edit the layout file they say.

Its funny. Doesnt do any harm. So why not
Attached images
metropolis.jpg

Quote from cargame.nl :
This is already been done by WS • Metropolis .. Should check out that server when you have time. Pretty funny, looks like a roller coaster. They hex edit the layout file they say.

Its funny. Doesnt do any harm. So why not

It actually does harm, I know you can't read this because you have me on your ignore list, but for anyone else wanting to read.

This will cause harm because tell me what other RACING SIM, lets you build floating sky tracks. This goes a complete different direction from a realistic racing sim.
Quote from joordy599 :Well, if I download 0.6B or Z28 I get a setup.exe, is this detail better my English is not on 100%

Yes, after the test patches there will be an official version 0.6C and that will be announced on the website and will have a new setup.exe.

Quote from edge3147 :"Floating platforms!" Doesn't happen in real life, so why should it happen in LFS?

The idea is to allow the possibility of a bridge. The middle part of a bridge over a road is like a floating platform, supported at the ends.

Though I admit that it will not always be implemented realistically in LFS but the makers will use it for functional reasons, part of a track or escape route.

Quote from cargame.nl :So... Ehh in short, no, not necessary (in my opinion). It wasn't really missed as far as I know.

OK, that makes sense. I'll make one change though - removing the sound. In your version, if a remote player is spectated there is a notification sound for other players, but no message, so that is too strange. I've now removed the sound, both the "notification" sound for other players and the "error" sound for the spectated player.

Quote from Concept-X :Parade lap is warm up lap before race? If that one could be implemented somehow it would be great. Even that "restart without moving anyone" is welcome, but is it hard to code that the sim checks if every racer is close enough to his starting point on the grid and after that it starts the race automatically?

I won't get involved in that right now but an InSim programmer could do that system (if I add a packet to reset lap count).
Quote from edge3147 :It actually does harm, I know you can't read this because you have me on your ignore list, but for anyone else wanting to read.

This will cause harm because tell me what other RACING SIM, lets you build floating sky tracks. This goes a complete different direction from a realistic racing sim.

all you do is cruise? for you this is a wet dream..

but this update will make better autocross for MRT or others and maybe more open config tracks will have different route without using normal start lines
Quote from Franky.S :all you do is cruise? for this is a wet dream..

but this update will make better autocross for MRT or others and maybe more open config tracks will have different route without using normal start lines Thumbs up

Just because I cruise doesn't mean I want to stray away from realism. WS already has floating ramps, so I am not sure why an official implementation is needed. If you would like "floating ramps" then ask the owner of WS to explain the process he used or maybe learn it, but in a racing aspect, this isn't needed.

I would gladly get involved into the racing aspect but it doesn't feel welcoming when members from several different "top" teams come and troll an honest discussion or try to flame.
This thread is closed

Where is the Test Patch Forum?
(77 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG