The online racing simulator
Spinoff : track menu screen
(105 posts, started )
i really like the idea with directly jumping into the trackmenue.
but there are 2 problems. at first you cant select reversed tracks and secondly especially new users will have no clue what they are clicking on.
i attached a image, how it yould work and thought about that it also would be cool just to type in "k3r" without anything and lfs automaticly loads Kyoto GP rev. or for blackwood "b1". with a little timeout, so that eventually comming "r" is not ignored.
maybe the numbers i added in those : () dont know the word^^, should be replaced with "1r" for configuration 1 reversed, instead of 2, to keep the old style.
Attached images
menue.jpg
#2 - ORION
bLaCk VaMpIrE:
Had the same idea, but you can't fit the menu onto the screen when showing all tracks and their configs at once. I like the current system, so why now use this? Just sort the columns in are more intuitive way (left to right, not right to left).
Also, it should be possible to select the track at first, and then the config, without loading in between. When you click OK, LFS should load the track/config/lighting according to your settings.

Also, always put the abbreviations behind or in front of the track name.

Btw, Scawen nice job on the first post, it provides a perfect overview now!
Quote from ORION :bLaCk VaMpIrE:
Had the same idea, but you can't fit the menu onto the screen when showing all tracks and their configs at once. I like the current system, so why now use this? Just sort the columns in are more intuitive way (left to right, not right to left).
Also, it should be possible to select the track at first, and then the config, without loading in between. When you click OK, LFS should load the track/config/lighting according to your settings.

Also, always put the abbreviations behind or in front of the track name.

Btw, Scawen nice job on the first post, it provides a perfect overview now!

i measured.. it would fit with the present heigh of every button.. at least on my resolution, but i think that the buttons heigh isnt depending on the resolution, am i right?
#4 - ORION
Quote from bLaCk VaMpIrE :i measured.. it would fit with the present heigh of every button.. at least on my resolution, but i think that the buttons heigh isnt depending on the resolution, am i right?

Yes you are right, but don't you want new tracks in future LFS versions?

Quote from thisnameistaken :Suggestion: What if commands like /say, /run, etc. were assignable to buttons?

I already suggested this in the Scripts thread. ATM, you can use the F-keys (and CTRL-F) to do this. Assign a command to the F-key, and bind this F-key to your wheel button.
#5 - RiGun
Quote from bLaCk VaMpIrE :i really like the idea with directly jumping into the trackmenue.
but there are 2 problems. at first you cant select reversed tracks and secondly especially new users will have no clue what they are clicking on.
i attached a image, how it yould work and thought about that it also would be cool just to type in "k3r" without anything and lfs automaticly loads Kyoto GP rev. or for blackwood "b1". with a little timeout, so that eventually comming "r" is not ignored.
maybe the numbers i added in those : () dont know the word^^, should be replaced with "1r" for configuration 1 reversed, instead of 2, to keep the old style.

Totally agree, I've played LFS for a while and I still don't know wich number represents each sub-track.

Maybe a drop-down menu for each track containing each sub-track name and a separate option to activate reverse tracks.

About the commands, can you make a quit command for exiting the LFS faster without hitting the top-right X in window mode? What about an auto complete option Linux style when you hit tab?
-
(Nobo) DELETED by Nobo : wrong thread
i thought you couldnt create threads in this part of the forum?
Quote from R3DMAN :i thought you couldnt create threads in this part of the forum?

No but I can

I selected those posts and moved them to a new thread.
Quote from RiGun :...
Maybe a drop-down menu for each track containing each sub-track name and a separate option to activate reverse tracks...

erm,... then it wouldnt be an one-click-track-selection option anymore
The new menu screen is great. Only two things about it need changing.

1) Adding the reverse courses, or maybe shift-clicking or right clicking it selects the reverse course.
2) That track menu screen appearing every time the track menu comes up.
Quote from Scawen :No but I can

I selected those posts and moved them to a new thread.

thats alrite then
Quote from bLaCk VaMpIrE :erm,... then it wouldnt be an one-click-track-selection option anymore

Well that's right you'll need 2 to 3 clicks dependig if you want it reversed or not.

For a reversed track you first hit the reversed option then drop down the menu and click the track you want a that should do it, it wouldn't take 1 more second that making 1 click
Idea for the new select track screen: Right click selects reverse layout?
Quote from bLaCk VaMpIrE :erm,... then it wouldnt be an one-click-track-selection option anymore

I don't think it really needs one click, it must be fast, and if you click the wrong number because you don't know which track has which number, you can wait until it has loaded, go back to the track select screen, and muckrake through the current menu to select the correct track
i agree, i don't know wich number represents each track

and new users will get lost in this new system without the track names
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Idea for the new select track screen: Right click selects reverse layout?

I already said that
I posted that in the other thread, I figure scawen moved it.
#17 - Don
...another idea maybe...?

(it wouldnt prolly fit in 1 row, so it could be in 2 or more rows/columns)

EDIT: or maybe all configs could be hidden but they would immediatately appear when you click on the track`s name..
EDIT2: got another idea, look at the second attachment (but i was too lazy to create the mockup for more tracks )
Attached images
mockup.jpg
mockup2.jpg
more or less my idea, but sorting in rows makes more sense.
i could live with that. nice
Have a menu system, like have Blackwood, then clicking on BL has a dropdown menu of the tracks, right clicking on Blackwood GP would start a Reverse BL layout?
Quote from Don :...another idea maybe...?

(it wouldnt prolly fit in 1 row, so it could be in 2 or more rows/columns)

EDIT: or maybe all configs could be hidden but they would immediatately appear when you click on the track`s name..
EDIT2: got another idea, look at the second attachment (but i was too lazy to create the mockup for more tracks )

the second picture is the best way, IMHO
On mouse over of any of the buttons it shows the course map/distance top right or something? Refreshes the old brain on what track is called what? If the current number system has to stay, could also show the track name when mouseovered?
Quick track menu screen> leave it as it is now, because it is universal for as many tracks as you want (if there will be say 100 tracks, scrollbar appears).
Imo config names are stored in track file itself, so it isnt easy to show config names in quick menu screen -> this suggestion will require something like function to read track header with configs without any track loading
Quote from Quietus :On mouse over of any of the buttons it shows the course map/distance top right or something? Refreshes the old brain on what track is called what? If the current number system has to stay, could also show the track name when mouseovered?

Yeap, maybe a tooltip style.
That new thing is confusing, I really can't remember what number everything is and if you want to select a reversed layouts you have to go back in that menu.

I think it would be better, in loading time wise, if you firstly would select the location (Aston for example), then a list of configs would drop down under the location, then you would select your config and then the track would load. In this version, I atleast easily take the wrong track

And one addition which allso would be great, (mentioned here I just noticed ) would be showing the track's name and layout and the lenght on the screen when you put your mouse over it.

(105 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG