The online racing simulator
Start at Back and Race details
I have not seen these in any list

1)

For new (and slower) drivers online it maybe a good thing to have a "start at the back of the grid" button or setting.

They do this is UK short track racing such as hot rods so a new racer is not smashed on his first run and has time to get used to the track before the fast boys pass him.

This may help cut down on start line and T1 pile ups until they have had some prectice and when trying set's.

Even some of the fast drivers could use it to get better racing as they could then work their way through the pack from the back.

2)

When joining a server or even before you join it, it would be good if it gave full details of the race going on such as number of laps and if there is a pit stop. That way drivers can set fuel, select a set etc before they line up
Quote from birder :

2)

When joining a server or even before you join it, it would be good if it gave full details of the race going on such as number of laps and if there is a pit stop. That way drivers can set fuel, select a set etc before they line up

You can see all that in the letters behind the server in the server list and by clicking on the "?" next to the server name.
no, its best to have the new guys go up front, that way if they crash.. they dont ruin the race as they normally do in the back, plus, with the winners in the back, that actually gives everyone else a fighting chance

How do the beginners ruin the race for the more experienced drivers more, when they crash at the back than when they crash in the front?

If they crash in the front, they go all over the track and all other drivers have to try to avoid them, which almost always ends in total chaos.

If they crash at the back, there are normally not many cars behind. So even the drivers, that crashed, dont get a car that wrecked and can drive on alone to learn the track.
Quote from birder :1)

For new (and slower) drivers online it maybe a good thing to have a "start at the back of the grid" button or setting.

Not a bad idea. However you can do it "manually"; either pull over and let everyone pass you safely - I've done this a million times myself - or SHIFT+S and start from the pits.
Quote from zeugnimod :How do the beginners ruin the race for the more experienced drivers more, when they crash at the back than when they crash in the front?

If they crash in the front, they go all over the track and all other drivers have to try to avoid them, which almost always ends in total chaos.

If they crash at the back, there are normally not many cars behind. So even the drivers, that crashed, dont get a car that wrecked and can drive on alone to learn the track.

He meant, if they are in front, they can go off the track, if they start in the back, and they don't know the track, they'll brake too late, and they'll crash in the whole lot. It's easier to avoid crashed racers than to avoid someone coming from behind too fast!
yep...

unless you have tunnel vision or something, avoiding is easier to evade rather than getting wacked in the rear with no time to respond
Quote :if they start in the back, and they don't know the track, they'll brake too late, and they'll crash in the whole lot.

It's experienced players who do this. Why are newbies always blamed for T1 accidents? It's the veterans trying to get every last possible position by taking risks that cause the issue.

Only very ocassionaly I have seen new people join with contempt for other racers, most newbies are very slow and know they are slow - and try their best not to ruin their reputations in the first few days of owning the game.

Starting at the back is a system that works well in real racing for rookie license holders - you have to complete 6 races without causing incident before getting a full race license where you can then take your normal grid slot.

I've been in LFS long enough to recognise driver names, and more often than not T1 accidents are caused by experienced drivers - also the more experienced a driver is the quicker they are to blame other people (newbies tend to say "sorry" a whole lot more).

I too have caused the odd T1 pile up, not as many as some i'm sure, but I didn't cause any when I was new - I wasn't trying to get past "that" car when I was new...
Quote from sgt.flippy :He meant, if they are in front, they can go off the track, if they start in the back, and they don't know the track, they'll brake too late, and they'll crash in the whole lot. It's easier to avoid crashed racers than to avoid someone coming from behind too fast!

With a full grid, avoiding isnt easy, but almost impossible. If a beginner starts in the front, crashes and goes from one side of the track to the other, another driver WILL hit him and then another driver will hit the driver, who hit the other driver etc...

And I agree with Becky; the new drivers, that arent wreckers, dont brake too late for T1. If they dont know the track, they are smart enough not to go full throttle the whole time after the start, until they hit another car. You were talking about wreckers.
..then you brake early, even if you are near front, i always brake early.. ALWAYS on the first few turns, that makes everyone else brake earlier, and then you always see someone from rear just come from nowhere and take out like 10 people as they just floor it .. even past the turn
Hm, yes, youre right, but we were talking about beginners. That can happen to everyone and someone has to start from the back.

If its like you said, it would be better, if the beginners start in the back, because IMO, they are more careful and will brake earlier, too; so they dont crash the drivers in the front, that braked earlier.
Quote from zeugnimod :You can see all that in the letters behind the server in the server list and by clicking on the "?" next to the server name.

Am i missing something. The server list gives the circuit but the "?" gives a list of usernames and car types

However It does not seem to say if a pit is required, the only time this seems comes up is when the race starts but them its to late to change fuel.

Perhaps a better idea is to have a "Race details Button" in the garage
Quote from Becky Rose :It's experienced players who do this. Why are newbies always blamed for T1 accidents? It's the veterans trying to get every last possible position by taking risks that cause the issue.

Only very ocassionaly I have seen new people join with contempt for other racers, most newbies are very slow and know they are slow - and try their best not to ruin their reputations in the first few days of owning the game.

Starting at the back is a system that works well in real racing for rookie license holders - you have to complete 6 races without causing incident before getting a full race license where you can then take your normal grid slot.

I've been in LFS long enough to recognise driver names, and more often than not T1 accidents are caused by experienced drivers - also the more experienced a driver is the quicker they are to blame other people (newbies tend to say "sorry" a whole lot more).

I too have caused the odd T1 pile up, not as many as some i'm sure, but I didn't cause any when I was new - I wasn't trying to get past "that" car when I was new...

I fully agree,

I find that most pile ups are faster drivers trying to get past the slower ones before T1 as the FZR is faster off the line that the other GT's

If there was an option then each driver could choose. If there are 6 drivers in the race they would take a chance but when there are 20 they may think again.

In my case i am hit from behind so many times that by the time i am back on track i am at the back anyway so a button would make it easy.
Quote from zeugnimod :because IMO, they are more careful and will brake earlier, too

cant say i've ever seen a new person brake early

keep in mind, new people aren't like the AI's where they are scared of everything... new people .. in terms aren't scared of anything and will use you to brake and turn if they have to

but i think there is a problem with the saying "new people" or noobs or whatever.. there is a line between scared people (which i cant say i've ever seen on LFS) and ..well.. idiots that just ram the crap out of people (not always on purpose you know)
I'm not saying all the newbies brake too late, but from my experience, and my logic, it's mostly the newbies that don't know when to brake, and then brake too late, because you follow the mob and start braking when they do, but sometimes that's too late.

Quote from zeugnimod : With a full grid, avoiding isnt easy, but almost impossible. If a beginner starts in the front, crashes and goes from one side of the track to the other, another driver WILL hit him and then another driver will hit the driver, who hit the other driver etc...

Actually, in a race today at Aston, I got knocked off the track at the start of the race (on the straight part), but it wasn't too bad and I got back on track. So I was still driving close to the end of the pack, and then I saw the same guy that knocked me off, hitting the whole pack in T1, even flipping somebody, and because I wisely backed off, because of my experience, I could just cruise through that pack and I still won that race.
Looks like, we made different experiences then.

Of course, there are the new drivers, that doesnt care for their reputation or simply just want to wreck. Unfortunately, they get more and more in the last time. But there are still as many new people, that are sane and want to stay with LFS for longer, and I never saw one of these people crash in the field in T1.
Quote from birder :Am i missing something. The server list gives the circuit but the "?" gives a list of usernames and car types

However It does not seem to say if a pit is required, the only time this seems comes up is when the race starts but them its to late to change fuel.

Perhaps a better idea is to have a "Race details Button" in the garage

Yeah, looks like you do.

When you click on the "?", it also says, how many laps the race has or how long the quali is.

And behind the server name, there are the letters like VQS. And theres one small "p" and one big "P". I dont really know, which stands for what, but one stands for "private" and one stands for "pit".
Quote from zeugnimod :Yeah, looks like you do.

When you click on the "?", it also says, how many laps the race has or how long the quali is.

And behind the server name, there are the letters like VQS. And theres one small "p" and one big "P". I dont really know, which stands for what, but one stands for "private" and one stands for "pit".

You are correct, i had never seen that before, thanks

Just found this for others info

V - vote
S - select
Q - qual
M - Mid-race join
P - pit-in

I tried the wiki but it seems to time out?
Quote :from my experience, and my logic, it's mostly the newbies that don't know when to brake

Logic dictates that the biggest problem with clean driving is newbies. In reality I dont beleive it works like that. I think the majority of new drivers log on and say things like "I'm new, I will try to stay out of your way." and invariably they suceed in that. The problem is the drivers who are no longer new, possibly even fast drivers, who never quite learned that finishing only 1 race in 4 (whether 1st or not) is actually pretty bad.
Quote from sgt.flippy :...and because I wisely backed off, because of my experience, I could just cruise through that pack and I still won that race.

Modest, too!

(Just kidding around Flippy, no offence.)
i've no idea how you'd do it but a better solution than a start at back button might be a "join grid after start button" so if you selected it you would join the grid at the back a short period of time (2 secs ?) after the green light, that way any new drivers wouldn't be terrified at being in middle of grid or close enough to the pack to terrify everyone else.

an even easier function would be if you went to pits and rejoined you would rejoin in your garage when the green light shows and not back on the grid.

going slightly off topic, it must be very daunting for a new racer to find themselves due to reverse grid on pole position when they know that some cars are 15 secs quicker over ascot club or similar and behind them

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG