The online racing simulator
barriers
(15 posts, started )
barriers
the prob at the barriers, if u hit em u fly away...
could this be fixed so ur car is just a bit damaged but doesnt fly away??
this may has been asked before but i didnt saw it...

ty
It's usually asked in the context of collisions, so yes it's been asked before - but not quite in the same way

Personally I suffer from laggy barriers, at least thats my excuse when I bounce off them and take the pack out...
hehe
ill look for it
but a +1 right
Agree, it's not like RL at all, still good for roll over crashtests, though
Maybe for crash tests... But I don't really think a ciment or or any other materialed barrier would make your vehicule blow a mile or two away . This needs a definate fix. +1

(red & white barriers) (and the advertisement barriers)
btw, is it only me or what? the advertisement barriers are bit less "buggy" than these red and white ones?
Quote from Eleanor SpeedGT :btw, is it only me or what? the advertisement barriers are bit less "buggy" than these red and white ones?

yea, a little bit, i think if the shape that makes it less bouncy
this really needs a fix
I also think they shouldn't be static walls, they should be knocked over.

Normally I guess on highways and stuff, such barriers are concrete of some sort.

But if you look at like stadium rally stages and stuff, they use the same kind of barriers, but they are sandfilled plastic ones I presume. I'd much rather see them like those:

http://sa.fety.net/Rally2005_GB/IMG_2782.jpg
http://briefcase.pathfinder.gr ... 931/445781/0/dsc03966.jpg

But still, some collision issues still need to be fixed anyways. There are some sensitive areas in which the car can contact and still go flying. The undercarraige being the worst.
yea, knocking them over ok, but not so eassely, like for cops and robbers, else we dont remember the track but t-yea, deffently needs to be fixed
Making the barriers interactive is hard, because if they could be destroyed they can also be driven through, and if you can drive through the barriers you can drive in and see areas of the tracks layout which are not actually created, they're just empty holes not made because they never get seen.

It's this lack of give in the barriers that probably goes some way to why crashing with walls is so much more terminal than crashing with other players and results in the big airbourne acrobatic displays that LFS sometimes puts on for us.
sorry, but the topic of this thread has been requested so many times...

the collision calculation is only done a hundred times per second. That means you can drive about 83 cm between each update if your speed is 300 km/h. If you collide with a barrier between two of these calculations, then two solid objects overlap at the next calculation. The physics engine now reacts in an odd way and lets your car fly or gives you "a bit" of extra speed.
they made this wunderfull game called Live For Speed S2
, way cant they make the barriers less bounable (u know what i mean)
Quote from Becky Rose :Making the barriers interactive is hard, because if they could be destroyed they can also be driven through

Wouldn't they then use the same sort of physics as the tyre stacks? Just a little more bottom heavy. But the ones blocking of bits of the track you shouldn't go to (like the ones in the BL carpark i presume?) could have the same properties as a brick wall, just we see it as a barrier, game sees it as a wall?

[/idea]
Quote from St4Lk3R :sorry, but the topic of this thread has been requested so many times...

the collision calculation is only done a hundred times per second. That means you can drive about 83 cm between each update if your speed is 300 km/h. If you collide with a barrier between two of these calculations, then two solid objects overlap at the next calculation. The physics engine now reacts in an odd way and lets your car fly or gives you "a bit" of extra speed.

You just took that explanation from the other collision thread, didn't you? And the barriers ALWAYS send you off flying, so it's not the same problem... Next time think about the problem yourself instead of saying something related, that someone else said.
Yes, st4lk3r got that from one of a billion threads most likely (infact I think he may have even been paraphrasing me (I apologise if it wasnt)), but I still think it holds.

If you touch the barriers gently, they're fine; its only an issue when you're at speeds greater than 25 m/h-ish, according to my very rushed and vague testing approximately 30 seconds ago. This leads me to assume that its the same problem. I cannot see why there would be, or should be, anything different between the two scenarios.

At 25MPH you're traveling at roughly 12 m/s, so for each suspected collision detection you've moved 12cm. Thats quite a lot in my opinion, and certainly enough to cause object intersection. Now imagine it at 75m/h, 300km/h, you name it; its dead easy to calculate.

If you've got a problem with that then forget about barriers, and make it more simple; a ball bouncing on the floor. You sample collisions at say 50Hz and increase the speed of the ball to 5m/s (pretty fast for a bouncing ball). The ball now travels at about 10cm per physics step. The problem is that eventually you'll get a step whereby the ball is no longer above or on the floor, and will appear to "jump" from one size of it, to the other. How do you deal with that?

Teleport it back is "hacking" the physics, so do you assume it becomes absorbed by the body representing the floor, or do you give it the appropriate impulse according to some physics rules? Whilst you may say this doesnt happen in real life, perhaps it does, but the sample rate of the universe is much higher. Now bare with me, if you think I've lost it but;

The maximum speed for anything in the known universe is the speed of light; so perhaps its a hack, similar to the 444m/h LFS hack. Anything going faster than that would theoretically reset, or the "real" universe would experience nuts collisions like we see in LFS?

I think I've rambled off the topic somewhat, so I'll drag myself back; what I'm trying to say is maybe its ok to hack the physics in special cases; barriers in particular, until they because less heavy and therefore more easily moved when collided with, and possibly deformable.

barriers
(15 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG