The online racing simulator
More realistic damage
(44 posts, started )
More realistic damage
Hello,

i know there isnt so good damage fyzic of car model cuz of average PC in world, but could you pls make in new versions damage model more realistic? i mean it could be interesting when someone lost part of his car and it stay lay on the track etc...this damage model is like plasticine or after accident some oil on track etc
Oil patches would be fun! More blown engines, loss of performance from overheating, etc. plus billowing clouds of smoke from the radiator. Debris on the trrack after an accident, hopefully this will be taken on board in time for S3.
me hope too
Whilst debris on track might be fun, good even if safety cars get implemented, in a public arrive & drive server debris & oil on track could unfortunately be abused.

I do think the damage model could be improved though, the other suggestions are great. I wrote a little driving sim once that had all the self damage features (no track or bodywork damage) and it really added a lot, unfortunately the physics where absolutely basic, infact really really rubbish, and you where alone on the track !... but for a bit of fun: http://www.bansheestudios.com/ftp/HotRodHottie.zip brake failures, overheating, missed or missing gears etc... tilde or backslash for controller config I think
#5 - axus
I think more realistic tyre wear would be more important. Things like the tyres graining and so on would affect strategy much more than how realistic the damage is.
Quote from NaBUru38 :Time will tell... Scavier has only 72 hours per day to make the game, and bed and food "deductions" should be taken into account (and family, real life, friends...).

real life , whats that ???
I wonder how long "better damage model" is already on Scawen's todo list? Two years? Maybe three? Not that I want to discourage improvement suggestions but boy, these are so obvious, did you really think you're the first one with that idea?
Quote from al heeley :More blown engines.

I like that idea!!!
hm blowing motor, or overheating motor is good ideas there is temp meter in car which doesnt work, maybe in future
#10 - Vain
My priority list:
1. Overheating brakes
2. Engineheat & damage (including damage from hits/deformation)
3. Correct suspension damage (before this: correct clipping)
4. Correct chassis damage (braking spoilers, removable parts)

Vain
I would be happy with engine damage, "popcorn" was almost removed and heavy crash hasnt influence as well
i would like to see broken windows + lights. i would like to see mirrors fly off when doors are rubbed.
Quote from Vain :My priority list:
1. Overheating brakes
2. Engineheat & damage (including damage from hits/deformation)
3. Correct suspension damage (before this: correct clipping)
4. Correct chassis damage (braking spoilers, removable parts)

Vain

I think that overheating/fading brakes could really add a lot to the game. Engine damage would also be really, really nice. I want to see people penalized more for over-revving. As it stands now, sloppy driving is rewarded.
Quote from Becky Rose :Whilst debris on track might be fun, good even if safety cars get implemented, in a public arrive & drive server debris & oil on track could unfortunately be abused.

I do think the damage model could be improved though, the other suggestions are great. I wrote a little driving sim once that had all the self damage features (no track or bodywork damage) and it really added a lot, unfortunately the physics where absolutely basic, infact really really rubbish, and you where alone on the track !... but for a bit of fun: http://www.bansheestudios.com/ftp/HotRodHottie.zip brake failures, overheating, missed or missing gears etc... tilde or backslash for controller config I think

Nice I might start modding it to look like a race track instead of offroading in the middle of no-where:-). And making a car skin or two In fact, this (if you showed it to the guys at RSC) might get its own subforum there.

*starts to think that this thread will get split*
I vote for

1. Brake fade
2. Engine overheating when overrevved or when rad damaged in crash.
3. Complete engine blowing (with boom and smoke) when overheated for too long, when surpassing a certain RPM (eg. misshifting), or after a heavy crash.

ALSO...option to TURN OFF damage in single player mode...
Quote from sirronwong :I vote for

1. Brake fade
2. Engine overheating when overrevved or when rad damaged in crash.
3. Complete engine blowing (with boom and smoke) when overheated for too long, when surpassing a certain RPM (eg. misshifting), or after a heavy crash.

ALSO...option to TURN OFF damage in single player mode...

I agree.

And also a turn off damage for hosts online.
#17 - Vain
Quote from sirronwong :ALSO...option to TURN OFF damage in single player mode...

From liveforspeed.net:
"LFS S2 is a serious racing simulator. No arcade modes, no steering aids - YOU have to do the driving."

Vain
Quote from Vain :From liveforspeed.net:
"LFS S2 is a serious racing simulator. No arcade modes, no steering aids - YOU have to do the driving."

Vain

He did mention "in single player". I think this would be acceptable. If the damage model in LFS ever gets anywhere near realistic, I would want the option to turn it off too. This would be nice for times when I want to let friends run a few laps, or when I want to put in a lot of laps, trying different lines, without worrying about going back to the pits after every little mishap.
Take a car in LFS, drive really fast, and hit a wall with the side of the car. Now take a look at the damage. You will notice that the wheels stick out mostly the same (can be partially pushed in). Though the body is pushed in and damaged further than the wheels. If I know anything about physics, and how its working in LFS, the wheels are not absorbing enough damage on impact. I would prefer this being fixed before more realistic damage is made, like body parts falling off.
Agree:
1. brakes
2. Engine

Concerning the body damage, I think the best solution would be a simple invisible framework representing a car's body and working like the FFD used in 3d studios it would make damage visible. With structure like that you could even simulate the so called-for body twisting. Since similar thing was in amateur TEREP (the cars body actually was such a framework made of 10 polies - it was flexible and you could see whole body bending in real time) I suppose it would be so heavy on today's average CPU.
And crashing head-on into a wall would also cause the typical roof and pillar bend, etc.
Reading the Hardcore mode post I think this would be good to be put in with the hardcore mode servers only. I agree with Becky Rose that if damage like this was implemented with the servers we have now there would be Chaos. There are just too many accedents per race to allow this and it would ruin not just the person who crashed race, but the other drivers who have to avoid broken parts and oil on the track, I don't think the average racer would be able to cope with that many things at once, jeez there are people out there that even just driving can prove difficult, especally the first corner
hm maybe its time to make game more professional and realistic, not for badasses which dont know what with money ... btw i thought this damage could be make the way turn on/turn off, i count with this abilities to leagues etc not on public server, where are guys who never drove a GTR and wreck all others...
Rubber grain
when watching races for real, the rubber from the tires are spread on the track.. this means that if you get to far from the best line through the corners you will very easily loose your grip.
Quote from werewolf :real life , whats that ???

Virtual world: altering your setup to make your car quicker
Real world: upgrading your wheels/pedals to keep you control of your quick car
Quote from Cue-Ball :He did mention "in single player". I think this would be acceptable. If the damage model in LFS ever gets anywhere near realistic, I would want the option to turn it off too. This would be nice for times when I want to let friends run a few laps, or when I want to put in a lot of laps, trying different lines, without worrying about going back to the pits after every little mishap.

In single-player, if you recover your car, it gets auto-repaired.

Cheers,

Allan.

More realistic damage
(44 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG