The online racing simulator
Dialog with the LFS Development Team
(3 posts, closed, started )
Greetings,

I am writing this with the intention of reopening a real dialog between the true members of this community and the developers’ team.

Why ?
I have seen many times that whenever one of the developers tried to inform or get involved in a discussion about something, the respective topic will have inevitably ended in flames. Not really normal, and definitely not constructive, in my opinion. LFS surely was, and still is for some of us, THE racing simulator; it would be a pity to just disappear like any other game that you play once and then you forget where you store it, or that you even had it.
Moreover, the dev team, doesn’t deserve this treatment, they have put their passion and skills in creating LFS, the sim you have enjoyed (and maybe still do) for a fair price tag to say the least.

What will be different this time ?
With the help of moderators, I would suggest to lock this topic right from the beginning, so only the “officials” will have the right to post here. The aim would be to have a clean topic, with as many answers as possible to questions of general interest. BUT without any pressure on the dev team, no matter what the answer would be.

How will it work ?
I’ve created a “Questions Basket”, where any member can post any question regarding LFS, its past/current/future state. No other “spam”, just one post, one question (any post not containing a question should be deleted). From time to time (hopefully), we will get some fair and honest answers in present topic.

Ground rules
Just to eliminate any “by default” frustration, I would also propose few ground rules, to take into account before getting involved:
• we should start with the idea that today, the dev team doesn’t OWE us anything. They have created (with very hard work, we can be sure) an outstanding product, and we definitely got what we have paid for.
• anything related to S3 (physics & content) is an opportunity, and not a signed contract. Therefore, we can and hopefully will talk about it, but cannot ask for it, as if we had already purchased it.
• no timeline & no pressure – the developers will answer when & if they see fit to do so, at any question, in no particular order.
• This topic is not meant for those planning to moan about: slow LFS development, how LFS forum & project are “dead”, how the devs’ are cruel and heartless beeings, how the Scirocco is a lie, … or any other judgements of this kind; you have of course the right to your opinion, and you have of course so many other threads where you can/you have already expressed the above feelings. Thank you in advance for not spam-ing the current one.

What it takes to work:
Of course, involvement of dev team
Involvement of moderators
Involvement of the community
Decency & polite tone from all of the above, no matter what

Hoping to see a fructuous & open dialog.

Cheers,
Luchian

NOTA: With the help of moderators would be nice to gather here some of the existing dev’ posts that already answer a part of the questions. I will try to do it myself, whenever I’ll come across them.
NOTA: There is no particular meaning in the question numbering; it's only to be able to identify a certain question, should someone refer to it later.

Q #01: Is LFS developement a full time job or more like a hobby ?
Q #02: Do you have a development schedule ?
Q #03: Couldn't Scirocco and Rockingham be released, without/before new tyre phisics ? (just to ease up the wait)

Quote from Victor :I'd like to insert an actual fact into this thread : http://www.lfs.net/?page=rockingham

As you seem fairly misinformed about what we do, here's a summary :
-LFS is not a normal business. We are 3 people who went away from normal business to do things our way.
-We don't have deadlines. Things are finished when they are finished.
-This indeed leads to long development processes some times. This wasn't always the case - you should've been here in the earlier years ago when there was a stream of updates every year.
-But now LFS has developed and matured a lot - it has many many features that people asked for and honestly aside from modding, what is there you cannot do with LFS now? I'm just saying Scawen has worked his nuts off to accomodate everyone. (still feel like we owe you anything? What more does 24GBP buy you these days? Honestly?)
-Now we want to take LFS to the next level by upgrading the physics. I guarantee you, you have no idea of how difficult this is. Give everyone a giant CPU and GPU and sure it's fairly easy to develop a super accurate racing sim. But you know, it doesn't work like that. LFS needs to run on slower machines as well. So shortcuts to better physics need to be found, without producing weird side effects. You go and try that. I wish you all the luck in the world.
-Now the question remains, couldn't we have released the scirocco and rockingham anyway? I guess that was possible. In hindsight at least. If we would have known it would take so long in advance .. but we didn't. There still would have been a big delay in new releases then though, while physics were worked on, so the question remains : what would people be asking for now, if sci and rock where already released 4 years ago.
There is no use in releasing them sooner now though, because Scawen IS working on the new physics and him taking a break to work on releasing new content will only delay the physics .. again. That stuff needs to be done. It needs to get out of the way. Scawen needs to be able to tick that off his list. Then that incredibly difficult part of LFS development is done and "simple" stuff can be worked on again. We can't wait to get on with regular development. There are still so many things we want to do!

Quoting original question from Bmxtwins Q #04:

Quote from bmxtwins :hi victor,
is there any news about the tyre physics? Any video demonstrations? I personally do not see the need to wait to release s3 content seeing as the tyre physics will be for all stages of s1, would you care to elaborate on the current development of s3 content. Teasers would be nice.

Quote from victor :no. The development is really not that interesting for most people. It's just maths, maths and more maths. Very dry. It's not like there are fancy graphics used or so. And a video would just show scawen banging his head into the desk trying to figure things out. (ok that might be fun to watch)

This thread is closed

(3 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG